Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

influx of B-grade quasi edu-tainment

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 04:34 AM

hmm.. i don't even know exactly what i'm asking here? we're getting an influx of these B-grade quality movies that are mixing parts of the UFO and conspiracy "folklore" into their plots..

i'm just curious what others think of this? (assuming you've seen all those movies mentioned in topic title and more?)

it seems a similar thing to interviewing a yokel about a UFO sighting, then playing it on a major news channel.. it seems like the idea here is to associate the content with something 'lacking credibility'? ..the end result seems to be that the viewer walks away thinking something like "ahh, what a load of crap!"

it's just a little strange to me, that the (supposed) REAL avenues of all this are 'top secret', or even just simply discredited outright.. if the intent is to simply entertain then there are many ways to do this *without* adding bits and pieces of what are considered to be 'real life ufo/conspiracy folklore' (i hope this makes sense to somebody)

i know many things also facilitate this; the ease in which a home computer can now do video editing, the accessability of recording hardware, etc, the fact that there's always going to be a snake-oil seller, etc etc.. but why turn the scene into something that ends up having all the credibility and importance of keeping up with the kardashians, et al?

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#2    Blue Star

Blue Star

Telekinetic

• 7,298 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

Nope, sorry haven't seen a one off your list....Yet, Are they worth seeing? The titles don't inspire me to???

#3    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• 1,353 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:40 AM

well, it depends.. there are little snippets of the ufo/CT lore in them (not sure if they'd be called worthy?) otherwise the whole premise of the movies just seems terrible.. i mean, at the start of 4th kind we've got milla jovovich explaining to us how "this movie is based on facts" ..when clearly, at the end of the movie, it's certain that it's not.

this is the thing that bothers me.. anyone who hasn't been in the scene for a while will just walk away thinking EVERYTHING associated with it is garbage? there are small pieces of 'factoids' interspersed in the movies (such as the sumerian references in 4th kind) but as i say, a first timer here will not find the overall effect palatable.

it's like trash magazines these days, womans day, new idea, etc... in their 'spiritual' sections, they're all starting to talk of things that, say, 10-20 years ago were still considered 'fringe' (to say the least)

it just seems like someone has a vested interest in keeping this stuff out there, and associating it with suspect material.

Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#4    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• 1,353 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 09:37 AM

another movie fits the bill, operation: endgame (apparently made in 2010, saw it yesterday on the gf's foxtel)

am i the only poor fool who's being exposed to these things? :P

[edit]

Are they worth seeing? The titles don't inspire me to???

there's nothing wrong with your spidey-senses... i kinda have to watch this **** when it cruises by, the titles alone are buzzwords for me (then i want to see what the movie makers knew..)

Edited by unit, 25 July 2012 - 09:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users