Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

The End Of The World Has Begun

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#46    kewlscot

kewlscot

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

• If there's a will I want to be in it!

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

The whole reason Greenland was called Greenland, was because when the first Viking explorers went there, the place was GREEN!!! NOT WHITE, so  it looks like Greenland is going back to what it was over 1000 yrs ago! So the little Ice Age has ended!!!!!

#47    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

View Postkewlscot, on 26 July 2012 - 11:09 AM, said:

The whole reason Greenland was called Greenland, was because when the first Viking explorers went there, the place was GREEN!!! NOT WHITE, so  it looks like Greenland is going back to what it was over 1000 yrs ago! So the little Ice Age has ended!!!!!

I thought it was just the place they landed at that was green thus the name. They soon discovered the rest of the place was frozen.

Funny how many variations of the naming of Greenland have popped up in this thread, obviously I am the only one who could be possibly right. ;)

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#48    Winter Summer

Winter Summer

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 203 posts

• You're not where you left yourself.

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

"The End of the World Has Begun"  such a panic-mongering title for a natural event, don't ya think?

Silence often says much more
Than trying to say what's been said before.

#49    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

View PostWinter Summer, on 26 July 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

"The End of the World Has Begun"  such a panic-mongering title for a natural event, don't ya think?

Yup, but if you want people to read your thread...

The first line of the OP sorts the title out though ;)

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#50    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 5,099 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

View PostParacelse, on 26 July 2012 - 10:13 AM, said:

There are way more simpler technologies like for example biodiesel (the technology exist it's just not exploited because it would hurt the wallets of few people which shall remain nameless) (heck like dubya's dad and his co-conspirator with whom I wouldn't go hunting, the bin ladin family of terrorists fame the saudis the quataris et few others).  Another way would be to limit the number of children per family, another way would be to stop buying the useless crap like 10 D photon plasma TV's, paying the kardashians, heck... I'm going to lunch because the list is too long and I would die of hunger before arriving half way through.

Bio-diesel has its own problems. It works as a technology but it means a huge amount of grain that could be used for food is being used to power cars. An huge amount. This is not something that is working towards being fixed - we can only grow a certain amount of grain.

And how would you limit the size of families the world over??

Science isn’t about truth and falsity, it’s about reducing uncertainty ~ Brian Nosek

#51    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

View PostEmma_Acid, on 26 July 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

Bio-diesel has its own problems. It works as a technology but it means a huge amount of grain that could be used for food is being used to power cars. An huge amount. This is not something that is working towards being fixed - we can only grow a certain amount of grain.

And how would you limit the size of families the world over??
Biodiesel is made from sheat of wheat; corn; colza; algea but not from grain so actually it helps the planet and as far as population growth ;  Education for the poor!  Don't make kids you can't feed!  Another way is to stop giving money from the poor people of rich countries to the rich of poor countries, give them ... oh again Education

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#52    paperdyer

paperdyer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

There is also more farmlands that can grow wheat.  The downside is there would be a wheat glut lowering prices and hurting farmers or wasting a lot of good wheat.  Of course we could export to other countries where there are food shortages.

#53    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 4,166 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 26 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

If the "End of the World has Began" what I need to know, is when is is going to finish Ending,Because people have been saying this, before half of you( squabbling about Greenland),were born. The ice in the Arctic and Antarctic,freezes and melts every year,some years are worse some better than others.depending on a lot of factors like,ie:- Ocean Currents,Wind factors,Sun spots and a lot more.ONLY nature can answer the ice melt/freeze question,because weather "experts" have'nt a clue ,they just speculate like the rest of us...

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#54    Number Fingers

Number Fingers

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

I like how they use the headline of 'unprecedented'.  That means it's never happened before.  But then in the very same study the paper quotes, they admit: "Goddard glaciologist Lora Koenig said that similar melting events occur about every 150 years, and this event is consistent with that schedule, citing the previous 1889 melt."

What blatant misinformation on their part.

I guess it would also have to be unprecedented that most of the 'unprecedented' warming has already stopped.  That makes two unprecedented events in one week.

Edited by Number Fingers, 26 July 2012 - 11:21 PM.

#55    NoiseBleed

NoiseBleed

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 13 posts

• "I'm tied to a cross. I can't get lose. I've done this to myself, put my head in a noose." black flag

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:23 AM

View PostPurifier, on 25 July 2012 - 10:56 PM, said:

Funny how I ran out all of the sudden and you sitting there looking (all so) innocent whistling dixie, Paracelse. But thank the chocolate gods I had some forgotten hidden reserves stored away. I think you're trying to bring about the Chocolate Apocalypse. *angels sing deep baritone in the background* So I got my one pyramidal eye on you my friend. Make no mistake.

You hinting at the possiblity of future ocean front property? I've got some of that future ocean front property myself in Arizona, just can't seem to convince anybody yet to buy it. Maybe if I put a large ditch, full of water, around it and claim that it's part of the Pacific Ocean I might get better results.

when the end comes, it will be more than impresive. it will be terrifying. gargantuanly terrifying.
the worse fear that ever swept you in an instantaneous moment in your life, multiplied by itself over and over again.
leaving the earth is the culmination of every feeling. hopefully there will be some good ones in there

#56    Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:36 AM

Good I can't wait.  My back hurts, my hips bother me, I have bad knees, and now I have burning fungus on the bottoms of my feet.  It can't come soon enough to soot me!

I need a new body, or at least a new skeleton.  What I'd like is one of those duranium skeletons like the cyborgs on Terminator have.  Man that would be sweet.  I bet one of those things would never wear out.  I wonder if I'd be fully sexually functional?

Art

#57    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:07 AM

December 21, 2012 will be the end of the world according to the mayan calender and to christians. when jesus appears and brings his wrath upon us!

#58    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,192 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:17 AM

View Postunit, on 25 July 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

back in the 80's if you spoke of climate change and greenhouse gasses etc ...
... then you'd be saying the place was going to freeze, not burn. 80s climate change fears were all about a new ice age, not global warming.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#59    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

View Postcsspwns, on 27 July 2012 - 01:07 AM, said:

December 21, 2012 will be the end of the world according to the mayan calender and to christians. when jesus appears and brings his wrath upon us!

Posted Image

#60    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• 2,833 posts

• We don't need to conquer the world, we need to conquer our individual selves first. Then the world will be at peace.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:40 AM

View PostNoiseBleed, on 27 July 2012 - 12:23 AM, said:

when the end comes, it will be more than impresive. it will be terrifying. gargantuanly terrifying.
the worse fear that ever swept you in an instantaneous moment in your life, multiplied by itself over and over again.
leaving the earth is the culmination of every feeling. hopefully there will be some good ones in there

I'll be damn. You know I heard the exact same description from people who say they were abducted by aliens and got anal probed. To paraphase, their final thought, they said "it was the end of the world for them". *shivers*  Anyway, you might be on to something there.

Care for a chocolate cookie? *nam, nam, nam* There soooooooo good!

PAWNING RESIDENT TROLLS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users