Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Strange carcass washes up in NYC

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#166    venom012

venom012

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:04 AM

I say it is someones lost Pug. Not a no hooves.

#167    Urisk

Urisk

Motorhead for life!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

• Outgunned, outnumbered, though never outclassed

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

View PostEmin, on 25 July 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

Wth is that shiz stickin out of its mouth??? :hmm: Looks like bark.

That would make it some breed of dog then, surely?

View PostCoffey, on 04 August 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

I find it hilarious that a "zoologist" thinks it is a raccoon. So well done everyone in the thread who "thinks it is a raccoon you can now class yourself as Zoologists.. LOL

Classic scientific tactic. Means you can say "it's pretty much this" but just get away with it ifo n the very small chance it turns out to be "that". You'll very, very rarely get a scientist says something is 100% certain. I know because when I was at Uni we were encouraged to adopt this tactic; strangely enough in Zoology :P So if it comes from a scientist I tend to read it as "yeah, I reckon this is the case, but I'm just covering my bahookie...... just in case....."

Edited by Urisk, 10 September 2012 - 09:52 PM.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#168    Rat Girl

Rat Girl

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

Not a rat. The teeth are wrong. This has teeth along the jaw line, rats don't. They have incisors at the front, then nothing, then large grinding back teeth (something I wish people who put rats into animation and such would realise; they don't have rows of big pointed teeth!). The eyes are also too small in comparison to the head, rats have relatively large eyes.

#169    TigressFlameroseX39

TigressFlameroseX39

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• People who say anything's possible haven't tried to slam a revolving door.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:19 AM

You can rarely trust what your eyes see when it comes to something washed up on the beach. Whatever the thing you're looking at is has been swept around, gnawed on, rubbed raw by sand, and steeped in seawater for God-knows-how-long. Take the "Plesiosaur" carcasses that have been found washed up, that turned out to be basking sharks--determined through DNA testing, NOT staring at the thing and trying to come up with solutions. I agree, looking at the tail and the feet it's probably a grossly bloated rat. Also, if you look closely at the green thing in the sand next to it, that's a piece of sea glass and judging by the color it's from a ginger ale or lager bottle. That'll give us a bit of an indication of its size. In short, not very big. MAYBE the size of an obese Jack Russel terrier.

#170    ParaQuest

ParaQuest

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

• You don't find the mystery, the mystery finds you

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

It's just freaky

#171    Rat Girl

Rat Girl

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

View PostTigressFlameroseX39, on 17 September 2012 - 02:19 AM, said:

I agree, looking at the tail and the feet it's probably a grossly bloated rat.

It isn't a rat. Trust me. I've owned rats for 16 years, I've post mortem'd a good deal of my own, I am familiar with what they look like from all angles, and internally, and this isn't a rat.
The hands are wrong, for one. Rats have shorter, thicker fingers, and they do not have the 'thumb' like digit this animal does. They do have a tiny little nub of a thumb, but not a clear long digit like this. Rats also have very distinct 'bumps' on the pads of their feet, they are not smooth.
It looks like you can see its 'bellybutton' for wont of a better word, or the scar where it was, similar to what you see on dogs. You do not see this on rats, theirs is not visible, even on hairless rats.

If you look at the last pic, look at the bottom jaw. See the teeth? You can ever see canine teeth in the bottom jaw. Rats don't have mouths like this. They don't have canine teeth, nor any teeth along their jaw, they just have large front incisors, and big grinding teeth at the back, too far back to see.

The eye is also not situation close enough to where the ear starts.

I believe this to be a raccoon. Its certainly not any rat species.

#172    raggedw00ds

raggedw00ds

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:50 PM

I've also owned Rats for most of my adult life and the teeth, tail, feet...eyes...etc are ALL wrong.  Also cannot be a pig.  HOOVES? I say it's a bloated raccoon. Nothing more, nothing less.  Really no mystery here.

#173    TigressFlameroseX39

TigressFlameroseX39

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• People who say anything's possible haven't tried to slam a revolving door.

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

View PostRat Girl, on 23 September 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

It isn't a rat. Trust me. I've owned rats for 16 years, I've post mortem'd a good deal of my own, I am familiar with what they look like from all angles, and internally, and this isn't a rat.
The hands are wrong, for one. Rats have shorter, thicker fingers, and they do not have the 'thumb' like digit this animal does. They do have a tiny little nub of a thumb, but not a clear long digit like this. Rats also have very distinct 'bumps' on the pads of their feet, they are not smooth.
It looks like you can see its 'bellybutton' for wont of a better word, or the scar where it was, similar to what you see on dogs. You do not see this on rats, theirs is not visible, even on hairless rats.

If you look at the last pic, look at the bottom jaw. See the teeth? You can ever see canine teeth in the bottom jaw. Rats don't have mouths like this. They don't have canine teeth, nor any teeth along their jaw, they just have large front incisors, and big grinding teeth at the back, too far back to see.

The eye is also not situation close enough to where the ear starts.

I believe this to be a raccoon. Its certainly not any rat species.

I was wondering about the teeth. We had three pet rats when I was a kid, but I never looked into their mouths, haha. Thanks for giving us the details, though! I felt like I ought to be taking notes or something. =)
BTW, with your rats, have you noticed their personalities relating to yours, or that of whoever their owner is? My sister and brother and I each had one, and our respective rats took on aspects of our own personalities to the point that it was almost comical. Since all three of them did that, I wondered if that was a common feature in rats. We had a lot of different animals, and none of the others ever did this. Anyway, just curious.

#174    moonshadow60

moonshadow60

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

• "There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or just closing the book"... James Wilson

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:27 PM

I don't care what it is, poor thing, but hope someone had the decency to dispose of the corpse so it isn't still lying there.

#175    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

A rodent?

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#176    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:14 PM

Ha ha ha is this topic still going.  :tu:

#177    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:22 PM

View PostCRIPTIC CHAMELEON, on 01 October 2012 - 10:14 PM, said:

Ha ha ha is this topic still going.  :tu:

Lol, and I am still appearing every 50 posts to say 'its a rodent'...

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#178    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 01 October 2012 - 10:22 PM, said:

Lol, and I am still appearing every 50 posts to say 'its a rodent'...
Ha ha ha go for a new world record of 65 posts.   ps: I like the new and improved pic  :tu:

#179    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:39 PM

View PostCRIPTIC CHAMELEON, on 01 October 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

Ha ha ha go for a new world record of 65 posts.   ps: I like the new and improved pic  :tu:

Thanks CC, its a Ryder Cup thing.

Europe left America dead, unrecognisable an washed up on the beach on Sunday after almost being there themselves on Saturday.

Hang on, is this creature Jim Furyk?

#180    Erowin

Erowin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

• This is incredibly silly!

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:21 AM

Reminds me of the decayed raccoon corpse that was found and was called a cryptid, lol. Looks like a pig or something, probably a known animal that looks strange due to decay and bloating.

Recent blog entries on this topic

Photo

By Aliens Exist in Evolution Theory?, on 27 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

[quote name='tapirmusic' date='25 July 2012 - 02:34 PM' timestamp='1343241293'...

Read Full Entry →

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users