Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Distant solar system mirrors our own

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:09 AM

I am the last person to insist that what we call science today is going to be the last word.  Judging by the just the last few centuries, I wouldn't even hazard a guess about what "science" will mean 500 or 1,000 years from now.  I can't imagine.

Edited by TheMacGuffin, 01 August 2012 - 02:09 AM.

#17    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,587 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 01 August 2012 - 02:09 AM, said:

I am the last person to insist that what we call science today is going to be the last word.  Judging by the just the last few centuries, I wouldn't even hazard a guess about what "science" will mean 500 or 1,000 years from now.  I can't imagine.

Science is a methodology, a logical way of discovering and understanding. In that sense science will mean exactly the same as it does now in 500, 1,000 or 10,000 years. What it has discovered and what we understand as a result of science, that no one can imagine.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#18    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,089 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:53 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 28 July 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

It doesn't matter how much work you put in, you still can't achieve the impossible.

It's indeed impossible... NOW.

#19    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Spectating

• 4,729 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 28 July 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

It doesn't matter how much work you put in, you still can't achieve the impossible.

Didn't you post a thread recently about an impossible find becoming possible?

Anyway light-speed, I feel confident on breaking that. Especially when I am wearing my Adidas tracksuit. :tu:

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users