Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

First successful firing of a 3D-printed gun

military guns 3d printer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 33,494 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:32 PM

New Scientist said:

3D printers offer the promise of a world in which anyone can manufacture anything but, as with all technology, there are upsides and downsides. Last week we learned that handcuffs could be unlocked with a 3D printed key; now "HaveBlue", a member of the AR15.com gun enthusiast forum, which is named after a common semi-automatic rifle, claims to have carried out the first successful test-firing of a 3D-printed gun.

HaveBlue did not print an entire gun but only a part called the lower receiver, which serves as a frame for the other components of the gun. This component is the only gun part regulated for sale under US law and as such must carry a serial number - unless it's made by a private individual for their personal use, so HaveBlue is not breaking any laws.

Making gun parts used to be impossible for most people, of course, but computer files for AR-15 components have been available online for some time. HaveBlue claims to have combined a 3D-printed receiver made from hard plastic with parts from an ordinary pistol and successfully fired more than 200 rounds. "To the best of my knowledge, this is the world's first 3D printed firearm to actually be tested, but I have a hard time believing that it really is the first," HaveBlue said.

Read more

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

3d printer, awesome

Edited by Ever Learning, 27 July 2012 - 04:35 PM.

`And be true to every promise - for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made.
al-isra 17:34

#3    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts

• The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

Sweet, think of he possibilties.

Thanks for sharing.

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

#4    rashore

rashore

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,164 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

I'm not sure if I would trust printed gun parts or not. Probably not. I've had enough experience with 3D printed stuff that this would just make me leery.

#5    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 33,494 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

In related news:

New Scientist said:

DIY gun project misfires as 3D printer is seized

Who would have thought it? Printing guns is frowned upon. Even in the US.

Cody Wilson, a law student at the University of Texas at Austin, found this out last week when Stratasys, the company that made the uPrint SE 3D printer he was leasing, got wind of his plans to design a 3D-printablehandgun and took back their equipment.

"The company is less than thrilled with what we're doing. They're trying to prevent me from breaking any laws with their product," Wilson told New Scientist. With several friends, he has founded a group called Defense Distributedto promote ideas about universal gun ownership.

Read more

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#6    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,474 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

I know this isn't how it works, but....

Printers make me think of paper... but it's 3-D so I imagine thousands of cut out bits of paper fused together into the shape of a 3-D gun... and knowing fire is involved when a gun is used, I imagine the first person to use the gun winding up with a handful of flames when the paper catches fire. :tsu:

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#7    HawkLord

HawkLord

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 327 posts

• I reserve the right to change my mind when better and more accurate info becomes available.

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

Are we trying to make things easier for terrorists. :gun:

The rocks in my head fill the holes in yours.

It is easy to spout the wisdom of others when you have none of your own.

Insult me all you like but remember that i have a sword.

#8    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 33,494 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 03 October 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

I know this isn't how it works, but....

Printers make me think of paper... but it's 3-D so I imagine thousands of cut out bits of paper fused together into the shape of a 3-D gun... and knowing fire is involved when a gun is used, I imagine the first person to use the gun winding up with a handful of flames when the paper catches fire. :tsu:

Edited by questionmark, 03 October 2012 - 05:57 PM.

about me

Also tagged with military, guns, 3d printer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users