Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Are birds as smart as a 7-year-old ?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:03 AM

Studies in to bird intelligence have suggested that birds are just as intelligent as young children.

Zee News India said:

By pitting birds against boys and girls using tests inspired by the Aesop's fable in which a thirsty crow is able to drink from a pitcher after using pebbles to raise the water level to within its reach.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    Kazoo

Kazoo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

Just because birds have a naturally instinct towards a tool does not make them smart. Tool use is about adaptability. And they don't show that.

Are birds smarter then 7 year olds because they know how to make a nest and kids don't?

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H.L. Mencken

#3    St. Jimmy

St. Jimmy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

Interesting. Dogs are considered to be at the same level like three or four year olds. But why not, some birds are really bright. Not too sure if they're smart as seven year old child, though.

Edited by St. Jimmy, 29 July 2012 - 10:17 AM.

#4    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

New TV game show, are you smarter than a bird?

#5    Technocrat

Technocrat

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

• "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog." Anon.

"Art is what you can get away with." Andy Warhol.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

Does this mean we can't use the expression, 'bird brain' anymore?

#6    lizzieboo

lizzieboo

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

• He was more like a succession of extraordinary events than a person. (Douglas Adams)

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

I know a whole family of people who aren't as smart as a bird's egg, let alone an adult bird.

Seriously, though...it doesn't surprise me that we are starting to understand we're not the only intelligent species on this planet. I just hope that with each realization of the intelligence of other species, we lose at least a tiny bit of our arrogance. (Not holding my breath, though...)

All right, I see what's going on. This is the opening salvo in what will be an escalating series of juvenile tit for tat exchanges. Well titted! Stand by for my upcoming tat. --Dr. Sheldon Cooper

#7    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

Studies in to bird intelligence have suggested that birds are just as intelligent as young children.

Surely that is just sexist...

Edited by Junior Chubb, 29 July 2012 - 06:54 PM.

#8    SlippySlug

SlippySlug

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:41 AM

There have been tons of experiments done to show avian intelligence.  Corvids in particular.  Crows have performed tasks involving tools that even some adults would have a hard time figuring out.  Using one tool to obtain another tool used to unlock another tool to obtain a reward.  It baffles my mind how they can figure that out.  Their brain to body mass ratio is way towards the top of the animal kingdom.  They may be smaller, but their brains work differently than that of a mammal.  In the future it may be the edge needed for avian world domination.  Even less intelligent birds like the pigeon have shown an amazing ability for remembering a large number of human faces.  Chickens will learn from observation, and surely everyone has heard of the crows in Japan who crack nuts by dropping them into traffic.  That's some darn fine adaptability.  Birds are smart.
  Sometimes people don't give animals enough credit, and sometimes people give children too much credit.  I bet if you gave both a chimp and a four year old child a box of crayons, the chimp would likely create something similar to Botticelli's Birth of Venus, and the child would likely end up with teeth full of colored wax.  Those are just my thoughts.

Know what I mean?

#9    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,348 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

I agree, we don't give animals enough credit for their intelligence and we give ourselves too much.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#10    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

Here's a video of a crow not just using a tool but making one. Correct me if i'm wrong but I think this is the only evidence of a non-human making a tool.

a laboratory crow named "Betty" improvised a hooked tool from a wire with no prior experience.[

http://en.wikipedia....y_animals#Birds

Edited by DKO, 30 July 2012 - 01:19 PM.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#11    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,827 posts

• With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

I once saw a video of a horse picking up a long stick and then trying to scratch it's back with it.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3, 30 July 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#12    MrScioscia

MrScioscia

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:13 AM

I guess they're more smarter than the autistic 7 year olds.

#13    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,827 posts

• With great power, comes great irresponsibility.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:33 AM

This is one of the most amazing birds I've ever seen.

#14    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:38 AM

View PostMrScioscia, on 31 July 2012 - 02:13 AM, said:

I guess they're more smarter than the autistic 7 year olds.

Why must you mention children with autism?..I don't know enough about autism in children, but I sure as heck wouldn't find it smart to slam them...

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 31 July 2012 - 03:22 AM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#15    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,520 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:59 AM

So as someone who bred and raised birds, a LOT of them over the years, I can tell you that the accepted theory is that some breeds, can be as bright as a 4-7 year old child.

However, heres the big "gotcha" while they might have cognitive ability of a 4 to 7 year old... they rarely have the emotional stability of more than about a 2 year old. Use your own deductive reasoning to imagine the kinds of problems that may present. :D

Edited by MissMelsWell, 31 July 2012 - 03:00 AM.

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users