Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

5 reasons fracking should scare you

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#16    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,143 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

I have spent considerable time researching the pros and cons of Fracking for gas - and let me assure you that its almost all cons.
I repeat a point I made elsewhere, if the process was so benign why was the political and environmental oversight process so massively corrupted by the Bush administration. Why are the baseline studies which are essential to assess impacts of a process only now been carried out under public pressure ?

Fracking is dangerous in to many way to list here and is in no way comparable to water well enhancement or even vertical well enhancement.

If you are going to peddle such obvious industry sourced disinformation - don't expect not to be called on it.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#17    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:53 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 29 July 2012 - 10:17 PM, said:

I have spent considerable time researching the pros and cons of Fracking for gas - and let me assure you that its almost all cons.
I repeat a point I made elsewhere, if the process was so benign why was the political and environmental oversight process so massively corrupted by the Bush administration. Why are the baseline studies which are essential to assess impacts of a process only now been carried out under public pressure ?

Fracking is dangerous in to many way to list here and is in no way comparable to water well enhancement or even vertical well enhancement.

If you are going to peddle such obvious industry sourced disinformation - don't expect not to be called on it.

Br Cornelius

I'm not sure what scares me more; freaking fracking or you!
You can make a 100 W incandescent light bulb sound scary I'm sure! :tu:

#18    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,143 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

View PostMID, on 31 July 2012 - 12:53 AM, said:

I'm not sure what scares me more; freaking fracking or you!
You can make a 100 W incandescent light bulb sound scary I'm sure! :tu:

How much in depth research have you done into Fracking ? I suspect not anything more than reading a few industry promo articles. I have undertaken a full research project into air quality issues associated with Fracking with 3months of basic literature review. This is on top of m any months of general scientific research into the issues.

Its all baseless hot air from you MID and that is why I never take you seriously ... never.

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 31 July 2012 - 08:03 AM.

Robert Anton Wilson

#19    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,373 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:39 PM

MID places very much faith in what the government says, and the government has blessed fracking as harmless and beneficial.  Therefore, MID sees fracking as harmless and beneficial.  He's not the only one.

#20    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,555 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

View PostHilander, on 29 July 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

We can't afford to have our underground aquifers polluted forever.  This is a crime against humanity.  I think we need to come up with something safer to replace fossil fuel.  We can go to the moon, send unmanned spacecraft out to distant planets but we can't come up with a new way to heat our homes and run our cars.

As soon as I saw the movie "Gasland" and "burning water" offered as evidence, I completely disregarded your editorial.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#21    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,143 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:35 PM

View PostRafterman, on 31 July 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

As soon as I saw the movie "Gasland" and "burning water" offered as evidence, I completely disregarded your editorial.

Can you please show me where anyone actually told a lie in Gaslands ??

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#22    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,092 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

View Postbulveye, on 29 July 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

http://nofrackinguk.com/?p=177
if you live in the UK I think you can sign up on a petition here to help stop fracking.
The drillers are threatening to sue localities here in NY state for banning fracking.
It was just in my local news today.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#23    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,401 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostRafterman, on 31 July 2012 - 01:01 PM, said:

Why?  Its a well known fact people can set their water on fire or rather the gas and other pollutants that is coming into their house with their water.

Edited by Hilander, 31 July 2012 - 05:43 PM.

#24    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,503 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

I've heard and read several different things about fracking and its impacts. The obvious being that if you're pumping millions of gallons of sludge into the earth you can't expect a great result.
As for the lighting of faucet water on fire, I had read somewhere that this was the case in these areas before fracking has started. I have also heard that the constant passage of heavy vehicles has losend gas deposits near the surface that migrate into the water, but I don't buy into that as it was a simple anecdote by one individual.

The bottom line is that these companies regulate themselves, with no oversight. Not the best idea for a process that could have a massive environmental impact. Who knows what they hell these companies are doing.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#25    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 31 July 2012 - 12:39 PM, said:

MID places very much faith in what the government says, and the government has blessed fracking as harmless and beneficial.  Therefore, MID sees fracking as harmless and beneficial.  He's not the only one.

We thank you for your always astute contributions.
Pilot extraordinaire, and now, geologist with advanced degree...

What could be next?

Perhaps yopu could join the Al Gore, Brother Cirnelius "the World Is Coming To An End" Fan Club!!!

But I do understand.  The more attempts you make to get to me...the better you feel!

Despite the fact that you can't!

:w00t:

#26    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:42 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 31 July 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

How much in depth research have you done into Fracking ? I suspect not anything more than reading a few industry promo articles. I have undertaken a full research project into air quality issues associated with Fracking with 3months of basic literature review. This is on top of m any months of general scientific research into the issues.

Its all baseless hot air from you MID and that is why I never take you seriously ... never.

Br Cornelius

Of course you don't!

Oh but you will, when in years to come you realize the silliness of your position and the fact that people are laughing at you.
You're attempts to be cool are not...

I believe you are researching the topic.
I did have my well fracked about two years ago.

Put a hurting on the water, which needed to clear of sediment for about three days, but, the well was filled after the process was completed.

It was kind of neat learning about the process and what's done.  Never had a problem again, what with all that water getting into the well.

Don't remember anyone being harmed, just not thirsty and able to bathe afterwards!

The place didn't even blow up, but, oddly enough, the subsequent winter almost didn't exist.  No snow, ice, or terrible freezing cold.

Who knows...? :cry:

...maybe that fracking caused a disruption in the gaian flow, and it caused winter to disappear because the planet was getting way to warm?

:clap:  

I don't know Br.

Maybe I am wasting your time! :tsu:

But like I said:

People like you scare me more than fracking! :yes:

Edited by MID, 31 July 2012 - 09:46 PM.

#27    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,143 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

Nice to hasve first hand confirmation of one of the main issues with fracking - well contamination whilst the frack takes place. You were lucky in that the results seemed to clear up rather quickly - most report the effecs lasting at least a year. Have you subsiquently had your water tested for those frack chemicals which are toxic at ppb. It would be ironic if you came down with pancreatic cancer some years down the line. O well its your life - I hope the money was worth it.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#28    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:31 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 31 July 2012 - 10:42 PM, said:

Nice to hasve first hand confirmation of one of the main issues with fracking - well contamination whilst the frack takes place. You were lucky in that the results seemed to clear up rather quickly - most report the effecs lasting at least a year. Have you subsiquently had your water tested for those frack chemicals which are toxic at ppb. It would be ironic if you came down with pancreatic cancer some years down the line. O well its your life - I hope the money was worth it.

Br Cornelius

:blush: ...

While the water was tested, I didn't spend my time worrying about pancereatic cancer, or even considering it. The water was clean, and tasty too.

Do you worry about such things?

Well then, God bless you and have a happy life.

#29    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,143 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:38 PM

View PostMID, on 31 July 2012 - 11:31 PM, said:

:blush: ...

While the water was tested, I didn't spend my time worrying about pancereatic cancer, or even considering it. The water was clean, and tasty too.

Do you worry about such things?

Well then, God bless you and have a happy life.

I don't need to worry about my water since I collect it from the sky and get it from a pure spring well - besides I don't have a fracking well in my back yard so why would I believe I have frack fluids in it.

It seems rather rash to not consider that Fracking fluids could have got into your water supply - seems rather ill informed to me. Were the tests carried out a broad spectrum HPLC test - must have cost quite a bit, did you have to pay for them or did the Fracking company pay?? Did they supply you with the detailed analysis ?

Br Cornelius

Edited by Br Cornelius, 31 July 2012 - 11:42 PM.

Robert Anton Wilson

#30    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,212 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

View PostHilander, on 31 July 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

Why?  Its a well known fact people can set their water on fire or rather the gas and other pollutants that is coming into their house with their water.
When I was a kid, we depended on a well for our water supply.  Our "water well" turned out to be a gas well as we had unwittingly drilled into a gas pocket.  We, too, could light our water on fire.  There wasn't enough gas to produce a sustained flame, but we could get a "pop" out of it.  At that time, there were no gas or oil wells anywhere in the county.

A neighbor of ours got gas when he drilled a water well.  There wasn't much water, so he never used it.  He put a board over the hole to keep animals and people from falling in.  Us kids would take the board off and throw a match in - made a woinderful "boom."

Another neighbor attempted to "frack" his water well to increase the water yield.  He used dynamite to shatter the casing.  All he got was a broken casing and a well that couldn't be re-drilled because of broken pieces of casing blocking the well.

In our case, fracking had nothing to do with our flammable water.  I have to wonder how many of those claims can actually be traced to fracking.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users