Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

[Merged] Oregon man jailed and fined 1500$

gary harrington rain water jail

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

http://thecount.com/...n-his-property/

Yes folks,the US government now owns the rain .He's facing jail time .
Next,solar energy will be illegal,as I'm sure the US govt also owns light ........soon it will be illegal to breathe,as they own the air too ,I am sure.

Miss me?

#2    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

It's only a matter of time.

#3    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,245 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

Don't get a tan,they own sunlight . The darker you are,the higher your fine .Yah

Miss me?

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,987 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

The problem here is that there are so many now useless laws on the books it is not even funny anymore. In its day the reservoir law had a hygiene reason.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,245 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

I collect rainwater during massive storms. It's an occult thing. Storm rain water can be used to do homage to my particular goddess,so I always have it in bottles.
I collect it myself,on my property . That's why this hit home for me.
Granted,I'm sure my neighbors think I'm nuts if they see me out on the lawns with bowls,during a massive thunder storm with high winds,but its got to be done during the storm,and actively .
So i get wet . No biggie .

Miss me?

#6    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,263 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

Most municipalities encourage folks to collect rainwater.  Heck, around here they give away free rain barrels because the rainwater overwhelms the drainage systems.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#7    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,666 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:28 PM

Here's another article with some more information... http://www.kpic.com/...-164206356.html According to this article, he didn't just harmlessly dig a couple holes and wasn't just collecting rainwater. He built reservoirs and dams that diverted flows.. and he's been doing it illegally for several years. He has been warned of his illegal actions, had to drain the reservoirs, opened the dams and filled them again.. There are legal ways of collecting and storing rainwater, he chose not to use them.

#8    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,263 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

View Postrashore, on 30 July 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

Here's another article with some more information... http://www.kpic.com/...-164206356.html According to this article, he didn't just harmlessly dig a couple holes and wasn't just collecting rainwater. He built reservoirs and dams that diverted flows.. and he's been doing it illegally for several years. He has been warned of his illegal actions, had to drain the reservoirs, opened the dams and filled them again.. There are legal ways of collecting and storing rainwater, he chose not to use them.

Good catch - there's usually a lot more to these kinds of stories.

Like the guy that was arrested for having a "prayer group" meet at his house - uh, no, he was running a church and had been thumbing his nose at building and fire codes for years.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#9    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,987 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:38 PM

View Postrashore, on 30 July 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

Well, diverting flows is not exactly "catching rainwater", is it?

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#10    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,017 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 30 July 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

http://thecount.com/...n-his-property/

Yes folks,the US government now owns the rain .He's facing jail time .
Next,solar energy will be illegal,as I'm sure the US govt also owns light ........soon it will be illegal to breathe,as they own the air too ,I am sure.

You should check the stories before posting them.

#11    Eluveit

Eluveit

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 73 posts

• To win is to lose!!!

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:52 PM

I like the progression of this story. I was ready to post something anti-government, but then new information appeared. Nice story, and the guy is a true jasckass

"Time is an illusion, lunchtime, doubly so."
-Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

http://www.last.fm/user/Eluveit

#12    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,182 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

Sometimes we find there is more to the story than we first read.  Its good that on a forum like this all sides usually come out and we get a little closer to the truth.

Can't just change the flow of water because you want to, it affects others.

#13    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

I caught this story on the morning network news and as usual they only tell enough to make it look like they want it to. "coming up, man goes to prison for collecting rain water",so much for investigative journalism. just tell us the whole story, unlike the news media or government believes, we can handle it

#14    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,987 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:07 PM

View PostHilander, on 30 July 2012 - 08:02 PM, said:

Sometimes we find there is more to the story than we first read.  Its good that on a forum like this all sides usually come out and we get a little closer to the truth.

Can't just change the flow of water because you want to, it affects others.

What is what this story boils down to on closer scrutiny: This is not about rainwater, it is not even about taking water out of flowing bodies,this is about illegally building dams on streams. And dams on streams are subject to environmental regulation (where you can build them on your land too if you respect the applicable codes, especially those on fish migration).

The authors of the story seem to have been purposely misleading.

So I guess it is: move on, nothing to see here!

about me

#15    Glacknor

Glacknor

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

• "Dum Spiro Spero"

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

I still don't get where the governemnt has any right whatesoever to dictate what we do on our own property, unless it causes harm (whether by intent or stupidity) to someone other than ourselves.

Holy crap, three relpies in the time it took me to type that... neat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users