Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

[Merged] Oregon man jailed and fined 1500$

gary harrington rain water jail

  • Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16    Rafterman

Rafterman

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,409 posts
  • Joined:27 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Upstate

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 30 July 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

What is what this story boils down to on closer scrutiny: This is not about rainwater, it is not even about taking water out of flowing bodies,this is about illegally building dams on streams. And dams on streams are subject to environmental regulation (where you can build them on your land too if you respect the applicable codes, especially those on fish migration).

The authors of the story seem to have been purposely misleading.

So I guess it is: move on, nothing to see here!

Ah, but their little story has become the lead story on every morning show in the country and, as we've proven, a topic of discussion around the world.

They made their bosses proud.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#17    supervike

supervike

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,212 posts
  • Joined:16 May 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:15 PM

View Postrashore, on 30 July 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

Here's another article with some more information... http://www.kpic.com/...-164206356.html According to this article, he didn't just harmlessly dig a couple holes and wasn't just collecting rainwater. He built reservoirs and dams that diverted flows.. and he's been doing it illegally for several years. He has been warned of his illegal actions, had to drain the reservoirs, opened the dams and filled them again.. There are legal ways of collecting and storing rainwater, he chose not to use them.

Yeah, but you are foolishly thinking that the facts matter in any form whatsoever.   That doesn't go along with the plotlines these people want us to follow.


#18    Michelle

Michelle

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 18,012 posts
  • Joined:03 Jan 2004
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Tennessee

  • Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Frankly, I'm sick of the media trying to tell me what I should think. Give me the facts and let me decide for myself!


#19    Myles

Myles

    Majestic 12 Operative

  • Member
  • 6,502 posts
  • Joined:08 Jan 2007
  • Gender:Male

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:37 PM

View PostMichelle, on 30 July 2012 - 08:21 PM, said:

Frankly, I'm sick of the media trying to tell me what I should think. Give me the facts and let me decide for myself!

We can dream.


#20    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:56 AM

Don't shoot me,I'm only the piano player .

Miss me?

#21    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:58 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 30 July 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:



Well, diverting flows is not exactly "catching rainwater", is it?

View Postrashore, on 30 July 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

Here's another article with some more information... http://www.kpic.com/...-164206356.html According to this article, he didn't just harmlessly dig a couple holes and wasn't just collecting rainwater. He built reservoirs and dams that diverted flows.. and he's been doing it illegally for several years. He has been warned of his illegal actions, had to drain the reservoirs, opened the dams and filled them again.. There are legal ways of collecting and storing rainwater, he chose not to use them.
I actually googled this,and read a couple of articles on this,as i didn't want to get it wrong. This wasn't in any of the articles I read .

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 31 July 2012 - 04:00 AM.

Miss me?

#22    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:03 AM

View PostMyles, on 30 July 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:



You should check the stories before posting them.
I DID ,and none of the resovoir information was out there,when i did.


Miss me?

#23    acidhead

acidhead

    GOV Debt Slave

  • Member
  • 11,928 posts
  • Joined:13 Feb 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Victoria, BC CANADA

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:31 AM

This guy didn't build those dams on his property.... Somebody else made that happen.



"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#24    JGirl

JGirl

    Pajama Goddess

  • Member
  • 9,036 posts
  • Joined:23 Sep 2010
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:British Columbia Canada

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:44 AM

View Postrashore, on 30 July 2012 - 03:28 PM, said:

Here's another article with some more information... http://www.kpic.com/...-164206356.html According to this article, he didn't just harmlessly dig a couple holes and wasn't just collecting rainwater. He built reservoirs and dams that diverted flows.. and he's been doing it illegally for several years. He has been warned of his illegal actions, had to drain the reservoirs, opened the dams and filled them again.. There are legal ways of collecting and storing rainwater, he chose not to use them.
i knew there had to be more to it than originally stated.


#25    rashore

rashore

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • 8,253 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2010
  • Gender:Female

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 31 July 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

I actually googled this,and read a couple of articles on this,as i didn't want to get it wrong. This wasn't in any of the articles I read .

Shrug, I don't think you got it wrong Simbi, you put up a lot of good articles. Maybe we just have our search engines trained differently, or we used different words in our searches and so came up with different articles. Maybe it's just because I don't trust media and try to dig out whatever the other two sides of the coin are when I read an article that triggers my WTF response. Personally I don't think there's an unbiased media outlet in existence anymore- there is no such thing as the plain unvarnished truth in it's entirety given in the news.
Here's a link to the 2007 court of appeals on this case: http://caselaw.findl...ls/1347290.html
If you read through it the article I put up does not exactly match up either.
Here's another bit of spin: http://aquadoc.typepad.com/waterwired/

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#26    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

View Postrashore, on 31 July 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:



Shrug, I don't think you got it wrong Simbi, you put up a lot of good articles. Maybe we just have our search engines trained differently, or we used different words in our searches and so came up with different articles. Maybe it's just because I don't trust media and try to dig out whatever the other two sides of the coin are when I read an article that triggers my WTF response. Personally I don't think there's an unbiased media outlet in existence anymore- there is no such thing as the plain unvarnished truth in it's entirety given in the news.
Here's a link to the 2007 court of appeals on this case: http://caselaw.findl...ls/1347290.html
If you read through it the article I put up does not exactly match up either.
Here's another bit of spin: http://aquadoc.typepad.com/waterwired/
Thank you . I try .

Miss me?

#27    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 39,707 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:43 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 31 July 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

Thank you . I try .

Where we did not mean you should not try when we came hitting you with the hammer.

The problem with certain "news outlets" is that they are pushing an agenda, try finding a less dependent source if you find something interesting in one of them (like try to google the blokes name enclosed in quotes") and the story could be totally different.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#28    aztek

aztek

    Omnipotent Entity

  • Member
  • 9,612 posts
  • Joined:12 Nov 2006

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:34 AM

yep, than happens, pbly McDonald hot cup case also has some details.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#29    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 43,340 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

Gary Harrington, an Oregon man, will be spending a month in jail, after being convicted on nine misdemeanor charges. His crime? "Illegally" collecting rain water on his own property.

Harrington, who lives in Eagle Point, Oregon, has been fighting for the right to collect rain water since 2002.

Now a decade later, he has been sentenced to 30 days in jail and fined over $1,500 for the man-made ponds he has built on his 170 acres of land. For filling “three illegal reservoirs” on his property with runoff water, Harrington has been convicted on nine misdemeanor charges in Circuit Court.

http://www.digitaljo.../article/329723

Posted Image

#30    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

    The Resident Misanthrope

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • Joined:23 Dec 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:England

  • Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

Oh dear... I better get rid of the waterbut infront of my house.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users