Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Evolution Vs. Creationism

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
904 replies to this topic

#31    JesusFreakGS

JesusFreakGS

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 August 2001 - 12:50 AM

Homer,
     it's okay I forgive ya.  ;)
                                  Adam

#32    odinsupreme

odinsupreme

Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

• Yes.

Posted 29 August 2001 - 08:27 PM

Aaaah, a happy end after all.  ;)

Odin Supreme  8)

#33    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 08:47 PM

:'( sniff sniff  :'(

Happy endings make me cry.  :'(   ;)

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#34    pangea

pangea

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 02:37 AM

Hello all!  I am new here, but I have been reading many of your posts with great interest.  
I used to be a believer, in the xian sense of the word, but through careful and lengthy study I suppose I am now considered a Free Thinker.  My experiences as a xian were great, and only a few of them were negative; but that is not why I chose to "seek the truth".  I am of the opinion that free thinkers support a scientific view of life and our surroundings, because I believe that science is the 'unbiased search for truth based on the availible evidence', whereas religion  (specifically xianity) is the 'biased search for evidence to support what they already to believe to be the truth'.  
I wonder how many of you I offended with that last statement! wacko.gif I didn't mean to, it is only my humble opinion.
I wish that science and religion could co-exist, but the more I learn and speak with people, the more I realize that it is probably not possible.  There is so much evidence and proof with regards to evolution and NONE for religion; and that is as it should be, since religion is based on faith.  If religion could be proven, then their belief system would not be one based on faith, rather it would be based on fact.
I exercise faith everyday; when I start my car (truck) I do not check all the connections under the hood, kick the tires and check my fliud levels; rather I put in the key and turn it, believing that it will start.  Granted, I am basing my 'faith' on past experiences, but it is a demonstration on faith nonetheless.
Perhaps if we as a people began to devote just a little bit of our energy and efforts in solving many of our social ills, we could then begin tackling the more difficult problems that exist.  But if we are ruled by a tyrannical figurehead, that teaches people get what they deserve (the result of 'sin'), then we will continue to revert back to the dark ages (appropriately named due to the ruling church at the time).  This is happening more and more if you pay the slightest attention to world politics.

Now, as I step off my soapbox I thank you all for this great site.  I love coming together as a group and disscussing opposing (and agreeing) views.

Thanks again! wub.gif                                                

"The belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." - Thomas Paine

#35    Halo_Jones

Halo_Jones

Psychic Spy

• 2,067 posts

• Thanks to Universal Absurdity and The Barman for my new Groovy Dynamite Diva.....See UA & thebarman's Animated Avatar Workshop

Posted 20 December 2002 - 09:27 AM

Hey Welcome Pangea wavey.gif
Hope you enjoy posting here, Oh! I love your interview with Satan!!! wink.gif                                                

#36    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,838 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 20 December 2002 - 09:32 AM

Hi Pangea,

Welcome to the forum.   cool.gif                                                

#37    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 20 December 2002 - 03:16 PM

i believe that a loving God created us- either as a primitive seed that would evolve or as a biological robot to serve a purpose we don't understand.  i believe in evolution and its evidence exists in all parts of the world in the indigenous plants and animals.  maybe God understood evolution and intentionally chose us to start primitive and evolve to a higher form?  its the process that would make us fit our environment the best.  

while i believe a loving God created us, i don't know if He still exists or has passed on.  if we were made in His image, surely our death would reveal that He dies as well.  the fact that we were provided with the biological necessities of life is not what convinces me that a God created us- our environment and evolution would explain why we live on those things.  what convinces me of a God is the fact that i came to exist as a sentient being from nothingness.  I had no choice as to whether i wanted to exist or not, i was simply poofed from thin air into existence that is at times supremely difficult and unpleasant.  that is a very scary thought to me as it shows how completely helpless we are in the hands of something powerful.  just as scientists choose to create and destroy colonies of bacteria at a whim, we are brought forth by something more powerful and understanding than us.  we shouldnt be careless with life, as we don't understand what our actions create and destroy in the process.  i hope that our creator had a better grasp on these things than we have, and also a greater empathy to our struggles and pain.  

then again, we could be bacteria in his beaker that is too old and about to be thrown out wink.gif                                                

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
set about on a collision course
not with Earth, but my face...
i wonder if id even know,
at what time i might,
be passed off like an old style
and by the meteor be smite?

- me, 1997

#38    teqiva

teqiva

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 12:06 PM

Hi all,

First of all, just like to say that I am very open minded and I am unlikely to get offended by anything.  I respect everyones beliefs.  I think the most important thing is that one's own beliefs give him/her internal peace in some way or another so that he/she can live a good life.  The following is just my opinion on the subject:

Some very interesting ideas have come up in this thread!  With regards to evolution/creationism, if I had to pick one, I'd gamble with evolution.  However, I find it tough to believe that everything, including conscious living beings, was created from a bunch of random events.  It's easier to believe that some kind of driving force, or God, created our Universe.  This to me, however, is just an easy answer that doesn't solve the entire problem.  If a God were responsible for our existence, who or what was responsible for the God's existence?  It's kindof the same problem all over again.  For these reasons, I cannot fully accept evolution or creationism as they are currently defined.  Guesses and leaps of faith are unacceptable to me.  If I were to use a leap of faith on one of my multiple choice midterms, I'd fail dismally.  The possibilies relating to the origin of the universe are not just 1/4 like a test, they are practically endless, so the chance of faith getting the correct answer to this problem is pretty close to zero.  I think one should work their way up toward the solution of a problem rather than just leaping there.

Just my thoughts for now!  smile.gif

-Marty                                                

#39    j6p

j6p

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 03:22 PM

I've noticed that Homer and I disagree on what a brand of beer is the best but we will agree that beer is the best. (just a metaphor)
Picking up on that I would like to expand on Homers earlier post about creation and evolution.
Yes there was creation and that started evolution, both are valid but who created God? No one. Oh my!!! How can that be? Here is how that can be. The word is "Eternal" and the problem is that we can't fully comprehend the word. The reason that we can't comprehend the word is that we haven't "evolved" enough, at this point. Let me explain a little further. Way way back there was a time when the human race couldn't comprehend the concept of "Zero" in fact there is a book titled "Zero" its an interesting read. Then we were hit with the concept of negative numbers....what da...wutch u mean, less den nuttin...you crazy or sumptin??? Now we understand negative numbers but we still can't quite get our minds wrapped around eternal and eternity and until we can fully grasp that concept we will argue this point to no valid conclusion.
God is eternal. How? We don't know at this point in our evolution but I have confidence that we are on the verge of knowing. I hope we are all around when it's discovered...Wow what a trip thats gonna be. And here is where Homer and I really part ways, I think: I believe that God  created the universe and then got out of the way to let it happen, there's where free will comes into play. I believe that God can end the universe if He so desired but I don't think He has full control over its evolution, like most think. I believe its like striking a match. We can strike and we can extinguish but we cant fully control the burn. I offer this: Can God make a rock so heavy that not even He can lift it?                                                

#40    teqiva

teqiva

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 12:32 AM

"God is eternal"

How can you claim a God to be something that like you said, we don't even fully understand?  This to me is no more than a guess.

-Marty                                                

#41    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,369 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 18 February 2003 - 02:02 AM

In my opinion...

I don't understand, is "god" a soul or many souls?  I also don't understand how "god" created everything, what tools did "god" have to create the first thing besides "god"? and finally, What created "god". God...

Facts are critical for true evolution, even if you have religion during the process.
Which is very obvious, we are evolving at this very moment. Creation and evolution are two in the same. In order for anything to evolve, creation has to be in effect. Something has to mutate.

MC                                                

Edited by Mentalcase, 18 February 2003 - 02:05 AM.

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#42    teqiva

teqiva

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 02:59 AM

Good thoughts Mentalcase..I agree with what you are saying.

-Marty                                                

#43    FreyKade

FreyKade

Psychic Spy

• 1,416 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 02:27 PM

i think ill veer this post abit. i assume that all peoples that believe in "god", think that he/she/it is all good. but how can this be. god creates beings with free will, yet god says that you must worship god. (does god want attention). i would have thought that if god created beings with free will, that god will allow us to choose to worship him (i am going to assume god is a he, so it is easier to write), instead of saying something on the lines of   "worship me and live forever, dont and you will perish".

he creates people with free will yet says they arent allowd to do things(eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge). they did, so he punishes people. wouldnt it be right for god to let people to create their own way of life.

in the bible, it says that angels were created without free will (the main difference between humans and angels), yet satan/lucifer/beelzeebub, was able to change his mind about serving god. how is this possible.

so isnt it fair to asume that god is actually evil.

im going to stop because it is difficult to put my thoughts in writing (what i wrote is probably gobel dee goup).                                                

"isn't that intresting Dave, i mean every step you take down that chain, takes you one step further from your imagination"

i said
"you're right! youre a bit of a hippy, but you're right"
- Dave Gorman

"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"
"I got some pegs belonging to you"
- Papa Lazarou

#44    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 02:52 PM

This was supposed to be a discussion of whether one believes in creation or evolution or both, and not to get into the specifics of ‘God’ and whether or not God is evil or what his plans are or anything like that. I mentioned God as a source of creation, and not of a particular religious preference.

"in the bible, it says that angels were created without free will (the main difference between humans and angels), yet satan/lucifer/beelzeebub, was able to change his mind about serving god. how is this possible.

so isnt it fair to asume that god is actually evil.”

If this isn’t a joke, then it has got to be one of the stupidest things ever written, and was obviously written by someone who knows nothing of the bible he claims to refer to.                                                

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#45    FreyKade

FreyKade

Psychic Spy

• 1,416 posts

Posted 19 February 2003 - 04:35 PM

i dont now much of the bible, and i dont care if it is a stupid question. im not gonna know everything if i dont ask stupid questions, am i?                                                

"isn't that intresting Dave, i mean every step you take down that chain, takes you one step further from your imagination"

i said
"you're right! youre a bit of a hippy, but you're right"
- Dave Gorman

"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"
"I got some pegs belonging to you"
- Papa Lazarou

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users