Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Disappearance of anonymity on the internet

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#31    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:08 AM

View PostRender, on 02 August 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

Following the latest suggestion of Youtube to only post comments with your real name, it seems that the big players are all pushing to destroy anoymity on the internet.

I come from a generation where posting anonymously was the obvious choice.
Since myspace and especially since facebook it seems that this is no longer the case.

I struggle with the thought that anonymity is being fought against on the internet.
On one side law enforcement urges us not to use real names for safety reasons. On the other hand big companies urge you to use your real name, with the risk of being banned from their service if you don't (which in itself sounds rather ridicolous to me, that they're portraying themselves as something official while it's just a service), for commercial reasons and so called anti-troll reasons. Even though it has been proven that using real names has no effect on trolling or name calling etc. (see: http://techcrunch.co...prove-comments/ ).

So what's everyone's take on this?

Any company that urge's people to use real name's etc on their site without giving them an option to use a screen name is in my opinion a soon to be bankrupt company, either that or full of criminal's looking to steal everyone's identity

Everyone survived before such companies existed, and no doubt that everyone will survive if them companies no longer exist

In my personal opinion,  ANY company/service etc that state's that I must use my real detail's and not have the possibility of using a screen name, can "go forth and multiply" to put it kindly

I do not mind using my real detail's to sign up to a site (except Facebook LOL) but I do mind if my detail's are spread out so everyone can see them

They are primarily just trying to find out more detail's about their user's, to enable them to gather more information to sell to third party's (in my opinion) which in some country's is Illegal, or supposedly Illegal, without Your knowledge or consent

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users