Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is this the Loch Ness Monster?

loch ness monster nessie george edwards

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#16    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

"U.S. monster experts?" Finally, someone who can investigate Congress!

#17    ChrLzs

ChrLzs

Just a contributor..

• 3,097 posts

• I only floccinaucinihilipilificate
    when it IS worthless...

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

View Postpaul the walrus, on 04 August 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

Where are the video clips? These guys claim to be "Nessie Hunters" and they don't carry around video cameras. I call B.S.
Indeed, further to the above..  I see the following quotes being attributed to Cap'n Edwards, describing the incident:

He quickly steered his boat in the direction of the hump and took a photograph before it disappeared.
and then:

It was slowly moving up the loch...{Edwards} watched the mysterious moving body for about five to ten minutes before it finally sank below the surface.

Those statements are clearly contradictory - first he quickly snapped off a shot and it disappeared, but then he was watching it for 5-10 minutes?  And if he did watch it for that long, he only got one shot worth showing?

Give me a break.  Somebody is making stuff up.

___
All my posts about Apollo are dedicated to the memory of MID - who knew, lived and was an integral part of, Apollo.

#18    vitruvian12

vitruvian12

Psychic Spy

• 1,854 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

View PostChrlzs, on 04 August 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

Given this is Daily Fail stuff I'm not sure it is worth pursuing, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt..

Out of interest, there are several clues* that this image was taken with a reasonably wide field of view, say about 28-35mm equiv.  That being the case, and assuming the photographer is up on the deck of the sort of mid-sized vessel that the other photo indicates, I'll lay a sizable bet that thing was less than 150 yards from him.  If it's about a half mile away as claimed, I'll eat my hat.

Of course he had to make the claim it was far away, as if it is close it is obviously way too small...

I'm happy to elaborate on why I think it is much closer, but I'd prefer to keep that up my sleeve just in case ... for now I'll just say I'd like to see that image at full-resolution including exif data, and I'd also like to see a shot of that boat showing where the person was standing with his camera when it was taken.  I think a bit of fairly simple photogrammetry might show that the truth about the distance and size of the object is somewhat different to what is being claimed.  Why not come over to UM and discuss, Skipper George Edwards?  And to Steve Feltham, the local expert - why does he refer to images, plural, when only one has been shown? And what techniques did he apply to his analysis, I wonder?

I note George says that he can't say anything about the USA 'monster experts'...  Well, that's pretty dang convenient and I certainly believe him, oh yes I do..  I just want to know how he found and got in touch with them in the first place..  I'm afraid I'm not buying into his claim that they have properly analysed it - indeed, if they have, let's see the analysis, thanks, George...

BTW, I see George does the odd bit of advertising, but seriously, he needs a new portrait photographer who can tell him to not stare fixedly into the camera .. :P
I agree, the scale seems off for a large object.  The boat he is on is not very big, and fairly low to the water.  The photo of the object seems to be angling down. If that was the boat the photo was taken from the object couldnt be very far away or very large. It seems that since hes spent decades searching he would have had a video camera at the ready.  To me, the fact that there is no video means there was nothing moving to video

#19    ollyhw45

ollyhw45

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

for crying out loud. i cant remember the last time i saw a phone or even a digital camera these days that doesn't have a video capture mode on it! and one picture!!!

#20    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

I also did not know about the US having "monster experts" until they told us that mermaids don't exist.  Blink.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#21    DomMarch

DomMarch

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

Looks realistic :) Maybe it looks small, because it is just a part of monster's body?

#22    Realm

Realm

• 2,037 posts

• "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
    Albert Einstein

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

Inconclusive. It just keeps the Nessie mystery going, without proof.

#23    prestatyn

prestatyn

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

• WHAT WAS THAT?!!!!!!

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:07 PM

sorry folks its my megga night before pizza fest

#24    keninsc

keninsc

Poltergeist

• Validating
  • 3,234 posts

• The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

From the lead sub-title of the article:

He even says image was verified by team of US military monster experts

US Military monster experts? Ok what designation do they have? What is their unit? "I'm with the 505th Monster Evaluation Detatchment out of Ft Bening, GA." Are you freaking kidding me? Serously? Dude's been smoking some good stuff and he needs to share some of it with us before that's going to fly.

Edited by keninsc, 04 August 2012 - 09:33 PM.

#25    Jajusha

Jajusha

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

This the video?

Trying to find the original clip

Edited by Jajusha, 04 August 2012 - 10:28 PM.

#26    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:18 PM

I love the Nessie mystery but this is obviously a tourism boost.  :yes:

#27    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:43 PM

I'll believe it's the Lock Ness Monster when they have a carcass, or a picture of the whole creature.

#28    SameerPrehistorica

SameerPrehistorica

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

• !! NO SPECIES LASTS FOREVER !!

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:22 AM

Another story for the Loch Ness Monster..Seems it has become popular

Posted Image

#29    jimbur

jimbur

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:35 AM

My guess is it's a sturgeon , or a log floating in the water.  But I'm waiting on the report to be published by the military "Monster Experts". Wonder how long that will take?

Jim

#30    Englishgent

Englishgent

Psychic Spy

• 1,909 posts

• all dinosaurs are thin at one end, much, much thicker in the middle, then thin again at the far end -- Monty Python

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:57 AM

View PostChrlzs, on 04 August 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

Given this is Daily Fail stuff I'm not sure it is worth pursuing, but let's give them the benefit of the doubt..

Out of interest, there are several clues* that this image was taken with a reasonably wide field of view, say about 28-35mm equiv.  That being the case, and assuming the photographer is up on the deck of the sort of mid-sized vessel that the other photo indicates, I'll lay a sizable bet that thing was less than 150 yards from him.  If it's about a half mile away as claimed, I'll eat my hat.

Of course he had to make the claim it was far away, as if it is close it is obviously way too small...

I'm happy to elaborate on why I think it is much closer, but I'd prefer to keep that up my sleeve just in case ... for now I'll just say I'd like to see that image at full-resolution including exif data, and I'd also like to see a shot of that boat showing where the person was standing with his camera when it was taken.  I think a bit of fairly simple photogrammetry might show that the truth about the distance and size of the object is somewhat different to what is being claimed.  Why not come over to UM and discuss, Skipper George Edwards?  And to Steve Feltham, the local expert - why does he refer to images, plural, when only one has been shown? And what techniques did he apply to his analysis, I wonder?

I note George says that he can't say anything about the USA 'monster experts'...  Well, that's pretty dang convenient and I certainly believe him, oh yes I do..  I just want to know how he found and got in touch with them in the first place..  I'm afraid I'm not buying into his claim that they have properly analysed it - indeed, if they have, let's see the analysis, thanks, George...

BTW, I see George does the odd bit of advertising, but seriously, he needs a new portrait photographer who can tell him to not stare fixedly into the camera .. :P

Hi Charles.,
I agree completely with you.   The first inconsistency I noticed with his story is this..... That photo was never taken from half a mile away. If it was, the boat would have had to be an extremely tall boat for that angle to be achieved.
I think this guy has just got frustrated at trying to find a non-existant creature for the last 26 years and has fabricated his story to make it sound more feasable.  Why do these people do this when it doesnt take rocket science to show they are trying to deceive?  Anyone with a basic knowledge of photography can see the pitfalls in his story!
Having said all that, I know from experience that when a paper gets hold of a photograph they very often put their own words into print and not those of the original photographer so I now tend to read such things with a pinch of salt lol :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users