Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Hijab controversy simmers at Olympics

hijab olympics

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hijab controversy simmers at Olympics

Unlike the Olympics with its gold, silver and bronze, life sometimes dishes up events in which nobody feels like a winner.
Read more

What are your thoughts about cultural aspects in the Olympic Games?

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,177 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

I don't see this is a problem, in the end they are here to be at the games.

#3    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,091 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:26 PM

In judo, the rules allow for opponents to tug & pull on each others clothing. What happens if her opponent pulls her hijab over her face & then lands her on her a**?
I'm gonna watch, it could just turn out to be the funniest moment in olympic history.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#4    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

Just a farce she did fight but shouldn't have been aloud to on the grounds of not being competent she only holds a blue belt and was beaten in 82 seconds.

Thank god i'm an athiest.

Veni, vidi, Vertigo, i came i saw i couldn't get down.
Hetrodoxly.

#5    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,091 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

View Posthetrodoxly, on 03 August 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

Just a farce she did fight but shouldn't have been aloud to on the grounds of not being competent she only holds a blue belt and was beaten in 82 seconds.

In that case it makes you wonder if this wasn't just pure tokenism.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,305 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

Or it might actually be a sort of internal Saudi propaganda "look, women aren't meant to play sport, look at this poor girl - trounced at every turn".

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

#7    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 2,751 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:04 AM

Hetro and isno. In Bosnia we have a say: for a small di#k even the pubic hair is in the way.
This is ment for people who seem to never be satisfied for ignorant reasons.
The girl did not wear a full hijab, it does not interween with the judo rules. She did not qualifie but was invited by the OC which is unlike you two quties above hate and ignorance. Most important it opens up the way for other women from stricked ruled islamic countries. One has to start somehow.
Even you english ladies had to suck up for centuries before they were finaly libarated from male oppression.

#8    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,626 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 03 August 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

Or it might actually be a sort of internal Saudi propaganda "look, women aren't meant to play sport, look at this poor girl - trounced at every turn".
Not sure they can say that exactly - given it was another woman who trounced her.  Maybe they could say "their" women are not meant to play sport, which would be ridiculous and sad all at once.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#9    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,746 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

It would be against the rules to tug her hijab, just like it’s against the rules to tug the opponent by the hair, nose, ears or their long, lashing tongue that cannot utter words “fair play” anymore.

Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Donnie Darko did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#10    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

View Postodas, on 04 August 2012 - 01:04 AM, said:

Hetro and isno. In Bosnia we have a say: for a small di#k even the pubic hair is in the way.
This is ment for people who seem to never be satisfied for ignorant reasons.
The girl did not wear a full hijab, it does not interween with the judo rules. She did not qualifie but was invited by the OC which is unlike you two quties above hate and ignorance. Most important it opens up the way for other women from stricked ruled islamic countries. One has to start somehow.
Even you english ladies had to suck up for centuries before they were finaly libarated from male oppression.
Nonsense "is it cus i black" post, having her fight the best people in the world was humiliating for all concerned, the best course of action would be to have her train with other women.

Hetrodoxly.

#11    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,091 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

If this type of amateurism is now encouraged at the olympics again perhaps we can look forward to a comeback by Eddie the Eagle.

― Groucho Marx

#12    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 21,746 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

View Posthetrodoxly, on 04 August 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

Nonsense "is it cus i black" post, having her fight the best people in the world was humiliating for all concerned, the best course of action would be to have her train with other women.

Can I cut in a little, if you don't mind?

No, it’s not “cus i black” post, it’s “cus you are armchair generals, or to be more precise, you’re armchair doctors of judo science” post.
First you train judo, obtain blue belt, win a match at Olympics, then you can say what’s the best course of action for an amateur striving for more.

Since when it’s humiliating to lose a match? Or to win it if you were better?
What’s wrong in inviting people to participate, though they are not good enough (yet) to win?

Also, if I want to fight someone wearing a scarf on my head or a flower behind my ear that’s my problem. If I want a bucket on my head or oversized crucifix pendant, then it is a problem, because that is a safety risk.
Grow a common sense people.

Posted Image

The 5 millionth post was Junior Chubb's fault :D
Donnie Darko did nothing, but I had to mention him too.

#13    odas

odas

Poltergeist

• 2,751 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

View Postitsnotoutthere, on 04 August 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

If this type of amateurism is now encouraged at the olympics again perhaps we can look forward to a comeback by Eddie the Eagle.

Helloooooo, nock nock, anyone home?
Olympics is about participating. Giving a chance to those who otherwise do not have a chance, like the UK womens soccer team against Canada.

#14    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

name='Helen of Annoy' timestamp='1344081417' post='4399678']

No, it’s not “cus i black” post, it’s “cus you are armchair generals, or to be more precise, you’re armchair doctors of judo science” post.
First you train judo, obtain blue belt, win a match at Olympics, then you can say what’s the best course of action for an amateur striving for more.
What does you're opinion make you? you think you're opinion is more valid than mine?

Since when it’s humiliating to lose a match? Or to win it if you were better?
What’s wrong in inviting people to participate, though they are not good enough (yet) to win?
This is the olympics not a local judo club if just anyone could enter it would be a complete farce.

Also, if I want to fight someone wearing a scarf on my head or a flower behind my ear that’s my problem. If I want a bucket on my head or oversized crucifix pendant, then it is a problem, because that is a safety risk.
As long as it's in the rules i don't care.

Grow a common sense people
if you're not doing anything this afternoon, why not go and have a jog with Hussein bolt.

Hetrodoxly.

#15    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

View Postodas, on 04 August 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

Olympics is about participating. Giving a chance to those who otherwise do not have a chance, like the UK womens soccer team against Canada.

View Postodas, on 04 August 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

Canada played well congratulations to them, GB got knocked out just like Brazil, Spain etc, how did your country do?

Hetrodoxly.

Also tagged with hijab, olympics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users