Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Gay Marriage

• Please log in to reply
1006 replies to this topic

#16    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

I just wish people would butt out of other peoples lives and let them do what they want. (obviously without harming others)

I don't care what religion someone is or what their beliefs are as long as they don't harm others with it or shove it in my face.

I'd happily live in the same street as a Christian, Jew, Muslim and Jedi... As long as they keep it to themselves and don't try and push it on me or try to affect my life with it. If I want to know nay informaiton on their religions I will ask them or look into it myself to get an unbiased view.

I don't have a problem with gay people at all, it's their freedom of choice to live the way they feel they should. It's not harming others so why do people stick their noses in. On the bright side as well it does 3 positive things for our society. Makes people more open minded, more adoptions for poor orphaned children to give them a good life and keeps helps with population growth... LOL Oh and a fourth, more Gay men = more single woman.. LOL Oh wait maybe it's balanced by lesbians.. Damn it.

Edited by Coffey, 03 August 2012 - 10:07 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#17    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,804 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

View PostEver Learning, on 03 August 2012 - 09:44 PM, said:

the christians at your work are a minority and dont represent all christians. the bible says alot of things that people would consider bad and good, im sorry if you feel it is nonsense and that it made you become an atheist. when it was written it was meant as good news rather than bad

There was an awful lot of them in line getting chicken and it wasn't all sweetness and nice.   It might be good news for you, but historically it has been bad news for a lot of Innocent people.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#18    Kazoo

Kazoo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

• “What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person.”

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

View PostOverSword, on 03 August 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

You're treating it as an emotional undertaking, which it is, but despite how anyone feels about marriage it is a questions of a legal contractual agreement and should be treated as such by the government.

My problem is that marriage IS a contractual agreement. I don't think the government should have any power over it at all. Gay or Not.

Edited by Kazoo, 03 August 2012 - 10:04 PM.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H.L. Mencken

#19    TrueBeliever

TrueBeliever

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:02 PM

View PostEver Learning, on 03 August 2012 - 09:54 PM, said:

you dont sound that happy, when i read the things you have written. i wouldnt say i live in a utopian community, theres troubles here just like there is every where else.

I am extremely unhappy when discussing how peoples rights are denied, how people are tortured, condemned....exiled.....beat down....told they are going to hell.....told they can 'pray the gay away'...killed..for their lifestyle choices.....it DISGUSTS me what supposedly righteous, godly people do to others......and it disgusts me that it is supposed to be 'off-limits' to speak out against it........whether you ever take off your rose colored glasses or get out more...ALOT of people are severely abused, tortured and even killed because of religious nuts. ....i am extremely lucky I do as well as I do! I feel others' pain.....I cant be really help unless I fight for anothers' happiness too.

#20    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:03 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 03 August 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

There was an awful lot of them in line getting chicken and it wasn't all sweetness and nice.   It might be good news for you, but historically it has been bad news for a lot of Innocent people.

View PostDarkwind, on 03 August 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

Non christians have used religion for there own purposes, a christian that follows the bible knows that none of the commandments can be fufilled without love but some people enforce them through pride

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#21    KNash

KNash

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 150 posts

• "She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.”

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

I understand why some Christians are against gay marriage but logically I don't see how it even matters. That's my own opinion though. I said this before in a past topic that I think it's ridiculous how much religion plays a part in government when according to the first amendment, church and state are to remain separate. Not allowing gays to marry because religion still influences (I want to say controls) government is like a slap in the face because it's obvious what's going on. I've always had strong opinions on this topic because I'm firm believer that love is love regardless of what you have going on downstairs. I'm not gay myself but I can only imagine how hard it would be to be denied the right to marry whoever you choose and not be recognized as a legitimate couple. Like I said in the beginning of this reply, I do realize that not all Christians feel this way about gay marriage but from what I've seen the majority does.

Love is love. Period.

Posted Image

"She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.”
- Rainbow Rowell, Elenor & Park

#22    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,527 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

View PostTrueBeliever, on 03 August 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

I am extremely unhappy when discussing how peoples rights are denied, how people are tortured, condemned....exiled.....beat down....told they are going to hell.....told they can 'pray the gay away'...killed..for their lifestyle choices.....it DISGUSTS me what supposedly righteous, godly people do to others......and it disgusts me that it is supposed to be 'off-limits' to speak out against it........whether you ever take off your rose colored glasses or get out more...ALOT of people are severely abused, tortured and even killed because of religious nuts. ....i am extremely lucky I do as well as I do! I feel others' pain.....I cant be really help unless I fight for anothers' happiness too.

View PostTrueBeliever, on 03 August 2012 - 10:02 PM, said:

I think you have been watching too much of the news its bad for you, as it paints a picture of the world that isn't true. there are alot of bad things happening in the world an some caused by people who consider them selves Christians but you cant deny that there's Christians out there doing good works. i have never witnessed any of the things you have stated, sure ive seen them on the news but if it was as bad as you think it is, christians would be in trouble. when i walk outdoors Christians arnt causing anarchy.

#23    TrueBeliever

TrueBeliever

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:17 PM

View PostEver Learning, on 03 August 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

I think you have been watching too much of the news its bad for you, as it paints a picture of the world that isn't true. there are alot of bad things happening in the world an some caused by people who consider them selves Christians but you cant deny that there's Christians out there doing good works. i have never witnessed any of the things you have stated, sure ive seen them on the news but if it was as bad as you think it is, christians would be in trouble. when i walk outdoors Christians arnt causing anarchy.

I dont watch the news every day my dear. I talk to people face to face....and I know the religioin I was raised in....oh they will say pseudo kind things.....then straight to...I will pray for them...or act like oh I have to love them in spite of their evil ways....it's not a sin or evil or a blemish to be gay! And it should be illegal to spread such nonsense...but I also think scaring little kids with hell should be illegal....or beating your kid because to not would be a sin! Come on...deny all you want there are some insane religious nuts out there and they are damaging and hurting REAL people, with feelings and rights........you have to be blind to not know this..they all brag about it!!

#24    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,432 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

View PostKazoo, on 03 August 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

My problem is that marriage IS a contractual agreement. I don't think the government should have any power over it at all. Gay or Not.
That's not how contractual agreements work.  Any legal agreement has to be regulated by law, therefore the courts and are in charge of contractual agreements.  Mainly they and lawyers of course become involved once the contract has been breached or anulled.

#25    Kazoo

Kazoo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

• “What a treacherous thing to believe that a person is more than a person.”

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

View PostOverSword, on 03 August 2012 - 10:18 PM, said:

That's not how contractual agreements work.  Any legal agreement has to be regulated by law, therefore the courts and are in charge of contractual agreements.  Mainly they and lawyers of course become involved once the contract has been breached or anulled.

.....I don't think you understand.

Marriage should not be a contract....I don't think I can make it any simpler.

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." - H.L. Mencken

#26    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

View PostTrueBeliever, on 03 August 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

well, hopefully more state govts stop listening to the obsessed crazy christian far right tyrants who think they have a right to control otherrs' lives!

The states that have banned Gay Marriage weren't listening to your "obsessed tyrants."

The matter was voted on by it's citizens who voted in favor of supporting traditional marriage.

#27    TrueBeliever

TrueBeliever

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

View Posttapirmusic, on 03 August 2012 - 10:26 PM, said:

The states that have banned Gay Marriage weren't listening to your "obsessed tyrants."

The matter was voted on by it's citizens who voted in favor of supporting traditional marriage.

OMG....the citizens religious views are why they deny others'...the act of voting only 'traditional' marriage and thereby excluding gay marriage rights is tyrannical..have you not heard their comments about how gay marriage threatens traditional marriage?? it is nonsense it doesnt prohibit their traditiobal marriage..it is just that thereligious far right think they should force others into doing things their way..even if they have to deny civil rights...and it is because of their religious beliefs. If you think otherwise...well, I dont know what to say to you. Religion is tyranny....just another form of slavery IMO

#28    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,527 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

View PostTrueBeliever, on 03 August 2012 - 10:17 PM, said:

I dont watch the news every day my dear. I talk to people face to face....and I know the religioin I was raised in....oh they will say pseudo kind things.....then straight to...I will pray for them...or act like oh I have to love them in spite of their evil ways....it's not a sin or evil or a blemish to be gay! And it should be illegal to spread such nonsense...but I also think scaring little kids with hell should be illegal....or beating your kid because to not would be a sin! Come on...deny all you want there are some insane religious nuts out there and they are damaging and hurting REAL people, with feelings and rights........you have to be blind to not know this..they all brag about it!!

View PostTrueBeliever, on 03 August 2012 - 10:17 PM, said:

i wasnt smacked as a kid and neither were any of my friends who were christians, were you smacked as a kid? christians dont scare kids with hell, they are told there is a god who loves them. i didnt deny that were bad christians, i told you it was so.  are you saying that there arnt christians who are capable of good in your eyes.

#29    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,804 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

During the civil rights movement it didn't come down to what the majority wanted it, came down to what was right. It is not right to discriminate people, because of their sexual orientation.  Not everyone is Christian why should we have to live under its tenets.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#30    TrueBeliever

TrueBeliever

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:36 PM

View PostEver Learning, on 03 August 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

i wasnt smacked as a kid and neither were any of my friends who were christians, were you smacked as a kid? christians dont scare kids with hell, they are told there is a god who loves them. i didnt deny that were bad christians, i told you it was so.  are you saying that there arnt christians who are capable of good in your eyes.

yes, there are christians who are good and who do good.....and they dont take the bible too seriously......they are more a cultural christian.....they are decent people.They would be good people even without a bible or a church.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users