Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Gay Marriage

• Please log in to reply
1006 replies to this topic

#61    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:14 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 04 August 2012 - 01:04 AM, said:

And yet that is in the old testament. Christians say that they go by the new testament. Do you go by everything that is law in the old testament? All the silly laws in leviticus?

Genesis is in the Old Testament, but many Christians will tell you they believe in Adam and Eve and the story of Noah's ark. Christians don't just go by the New Testament.

There are a bunch of silly laws in Leviticus, but many conservatives and fundamentalists believe that homosexuality is a sin, even though they will eat fat, touch an unclean animal, drink alcohol in religious places (What about the blood of Jesus?), etc. People believe what they want throughout the Bible, yet ignore large quantities of it.

Posted Image

#62    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,139 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:17 AM

View PostTaylorReints, on 04 August 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

Genesis is in the Old Testament, but many Christians will tell you they believe in Adam and Eve and the story of Noah's ark. Christians don't just go by the New Testament.

There are a bunch of silly laws in Leviticus, but many conservatives and fundamentalists believe that homosexuality is a sin, even though they will eat fat, touch an unclean animal, drink alcohol in religious places (What about the blood of Jesus?), etc. People believe what they want throughout the Bible, yet ignore large quantities of it.

Exactly my point. They pick and choose what to believe and what not to. That gives their biblical argument against homosexuality exactly zero standing.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#63    lizzieboo

lizzieboo

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

• He was more like a succession of extraordinary events than a person. (Douglas Adams)

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:25 AM

View Postand then, on 03 August 2012 - 09:57 PM, said:

TB don't you find it the least bit confusing that a gay couple actually WANT the blessing of a religious entity?  Many States have civil unions with most if not all the legal rights of a married couple but it's not enough for many in this debate.  Many of the most vocal pro gay marriage want exactly the same right including that a religious marriage ceremony be available in a church where the members disagree.  This is the only thing concerning gay marriage that offends me.

Why is that confusing? Aren't gay people allowed to believe in God? Does the Bible state that gay people should not want God's love and blessing?

All right, I see what's going on. This is the opening salvo in what will be an escalating series of juvenile tit for tat exchanges. Well titted! Stand by for my upcoming tat. --Dr. Sheldon Cooper

#64    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:38 AM

TB don't you find it the least bit confusing that a gay couple actually WANT the blessing of a religious entity?  Many States have civil unions with most if not all the legal rights of a married couple but it's not enough for many in this debate.  Many of the most vocal pro gay marriage want exactly the same right including that a religious marriage ceremony be available in a church where the members disagree.  This is the only thing concerning gay marriage that offends me.

I have to agree with lizzieboo on this one. Not all gay people are non-Christian and some would like a blessing to their marriage.

Posted Image

#65    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:43 AM

View Postlizzieboo, on 04 August 2012 - 01:25 AM, said:

Why is that confusing? Aren't gay people allowed to believe in God? Does the Bible state that gay people should not want God's love and blessing?

Very true.... My cousin Sarah  is gay and she is a strong follower of the church.... She is always at church...Some man made rule is not going to put her off church...Fair play to her.. AND she is happy with her partner too..

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#66    Viviana98

Viviana98

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:49 AM

Blah, blah, blah...the bible and Christians need to stop already I'm sorry. I really don't understand WHY it is such a big freaking deal to them! How is it affecting them or their lives at all??? It's NOT!! I'm very sorry to break it to all you Christians but gays are *ahem* HUMAN and therefore they should have just as much right as anyone else! You guys make me sick on this topic, you really do. It's such a NON issue! Get over it already and move on to something that actually does some good for mankind. Spread some love and acceptance that your God talks about around instead of this discriminating hate bs! Again their human and your anti gay crap is old so move on please!!!!!!

#67    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,851 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:12 AM

TB don't you find it the least bit confusing that a gay couple actually WANT the blessing of a religious entity?
Here is a shocker, maybe some gays are religious.

#68    lizzieboo

lizzieboo

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

• He was more like a succession of extraordinary events than a person. (Douglas Adams)

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:23 AM

One of my dearest friends is a gay man; he is also a devout Catholic. He wanted to be a priest but didn't attend seminary school because he would have had to lie about his sexual orientation and he loves God and the Church too much to take holy orders based on a lie. This is a man who wouldn't hurt a fly; he has never, in his life, raised his hand against anyone or acted in any way to harm another human being. He helps everyone, from his family members to his neighbors to members of the church he attends. He is tolerant, generous, and kind. And still he considers himself a terrible sinner who stands little chance of going to Heaven.

A truly loving God would never want His children to live with self-hatred because they believe that they are evil by nature.

All right, I see what's going on. This is the opening salvo in what will be an escalating series of juvenile tit for tat exchanges. Well titted! Stand by for my upcoming tat. --Dr. Sheldon Cooper

#69    SuddenPsychic

SuddenPsychic

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 211 posts

• A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five. - Groucho Marx

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:54 AM

I think everyone should have the right to a miserable divorce with the partner of their (former) choosing, and it will be awesome when gay divorce lawyers can have gay clients.

Edited by SuddenPsychic, 04 August 2012 - 02:55 AM.

#70    lizzieboo

lizzieboo

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:59 AM

View PostSuddenPsychic, on 04 August 2012 - 02:54 AM, said:

I think everyone should have the right to a miserable divorce with the partner of their (former) choosing, and it will be awesome when gay divorce lawyers can have gay clients.

That reminds me of a joke I love. Divorced guy to single man: "Why bother getting married, anyway? Just find a woman you hate and buy her a house."

#71    Uncle Pockets

Uncle Pockets

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:25 AM

View PostBeany, on 04 August 2012 - 12:48 AM, said:

Unc, if you're going to throw out statistics, you should be able to back it up with facts and name your sources.

That was from a 2007 census bureau  survey.

http://www.nytimes.c...?pagewanted=all

#72    Uncle Pockets

Uncle Pockets

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:26 AM

View PostTrueBeliever, on 04 August 2012 - 12:45 AM, said:

oh come on! did you arrive at this conclusion during bible study? wow........

No, I arrived at that conclusion by noticing that homosexual people cannot produce children. If it was a part of nature, it would be different.

#73    willowdreams

willowdreams

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

• Never let the facts get in the way of the truth- heard during an episode of 'Lie to Me' by Dr. Cal Lightman

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:45 AM

View PostEver Learning, on 03 August 2012 - 11:16 PM, said:

my best friends make out all the time, i have no problem with them being gay, ive even gone to my fair share of gaybars on a nite out with my friends. alot of the things you mentioned people havent been saying in this topic.
religous people voting is completely different to the tax on churches, do you think religious people shouldn't vote

i think individual of voting age should vote. that is how you make your voice heard.

businesses should pay taxes and do. major organizations also pay taxes (far as i know).. but religion and state should be separate.

i see no reason why churches cannot be taxed. especially if they want to be allowed to push their weight around on political issues and be major participants in making or killing of laws and making issues of what presidents 'believe' as a political agenda.

PEOPLE should vote.. and personally if you pay taxes, i think that should give you a louder voice, because you not only deserve it as 'freedom of expression' or whatever you wish to call it, for just being an american but an extra boost because you also pay taxes and help support our governt officials as well as paying for health care for everyone, road projects.. et et et.

Posted Image

#74    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,139 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:52 AM

View PostUncle Pockets, on 04 August 2012 - 04:26 AM, said:

No, I arrived at that conclusion by noticing that homosexual people cannot produce children. If it was a part of nature, it would be different.

Here is a partial list of animals that exhibit homosexuality. You know, in nature.

Selected mammals from the full list: Selected birds from the full list:

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#75    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,424 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:54 AM

View PostEver Learning, on 03 August 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

If the majority voted against gay marrige how is that not fair, the majority won. if the minority won then that would be unfair, do you dissagree?

If it worked like that, we would still have jim crow laws, because majority of white voters in the south wanted them and voted for them. Would that be fair.  We have courts that can overturn unjust laws, even it the majority voted for them.  

View PostUncle Pockets, on 04 August 2012 - 12:37 AM, said:

The bigger situation is focusing on the 51% of females who are without a spouse.  It is in no ones nature to be attracted to the same sex. Desires come and go. No reason to give into them.
From the good folks at the American Psychological Association

http://www.apa.org/h...rientation.aspx

There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay, or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors. Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles; most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation.

People don't choose their sexual orientation.  It doesn't come and go. To force someone when orientated to the same sex to be heterosexual makes for a miserable life for both people in the relationship.
Now tell me were you found that statistic about 51 % of women being single.  If you want statistics here is an article that explains why and guess what, it is not because of homosexuals. You can't just pull stuff out of your..... hat and post it as the facts. Statistics are really complex.  There are many different variables why % turn out the way they do. .
http://voices.yahoo....tes-173427.html

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users