Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Gay Marriage

• Please log in to reply
1006 replies to this topic

#76    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,356 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:05 AM

That article from the APA is really a good read. They talk about psychological damage caused by the discrimination of gay and lesbian people.

http://www.apa.org/h...rientation.aspx

Since 1975, the American Psychological Association has called on psychologists to take the lead in removing the stigma of mental illness that has long been associated with lesbian, gay, and bisexual orientations. The discipline of psychology is concerned with the well-being of people and groups and therefore with threats to that well-being. The prejudice and discrimination that people who identify as lesbian, gay, or bisexual regularly experience have been shown to have negative psychological effects. This information is designed to provide accurate information for those who want to better understand sexual orientation and the impact of prejudice and discrimination on those who identify as lesbian, gay, or bisexual

Edited by Darkwind, 04 August 2012 - 05:06 AM.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#77    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 04 August 2012 - 12:12 AM, said:

Just a quick side note.. how come every post you make, and your postings on profiles status's  double up..  Are you experiencing server problems? I know this is not on topic..I just wondered if you were experiencing server problems?

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 04 August 2012 - 12:12 AM, said:

Just a quick side note.. how come every post you make, and your postings on profiles status's  double up..  Are you experiencing server problems? I know this is not on topic..I just wondered if you were experiencing server problems?
i have no idea lol, it doesnt do this on mu pc just my laptop.

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#78    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,535 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 04 August 2012 - 12:16 AM, said:

I get what you are saying.. but its not a choice...lol...  What I mean is.. you and I do not chose our sexuality..we just have it..born with it..same with them.. :D

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 04 August 2012 - 12:16 AM, said:

I get what you are saying.. but its not a choice...lol...  What I mean is.. you and I do not chose our sexuality..we just have it..born with it..same with them.. :D
what do you mean by this, do you mean genetically they are born like this?

#79    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,535 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

View PostBeany, on 04 August 2012 - 12:36 AM, said:

Legislation that abrogates a person's right are illegal. i.e. if you signed a contract to become someone's slave, the contract would not be binding, because the contract would deprive you of your constitutional rights. The courts address the legal issues, not legislators, politicians, or religious folk.

View PostBeany, on 04 August 2012 - 12:36 AM, said:

Legislation that abrogates a person's right are illegal. i.e. if you signed a contract to become someone's slave, the contract would not be binding, because the contract would deprive you of your constitutional rights. The courts address the legal issues, not legislators, politicians, or religious folk.
So is your point that the majority of people voted but it wasnt them that decided

#80    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

You're going to let gay people get married? OMG MY FREEDOM IS BEING TAKEN AWAY

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

#81    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,535 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:49 AM

View PostBeany, on 04 August 2012 - 12:46 AM, said:

Simply because something has the support of the majority doesn't make it legal. At one time, mixed race marriages had majority support, but those laws were determined by the courts to be illegal. The majority of people in the south in the 19th century supported the institution of slavery. By your reasoning, does that mean slavery was/is acceptable?

View PostBeany, on 04 August 2012 - 12:46 AM, said:

Simply because something has the support of the majority doesn't make it legal. At one time, mixed race marriages had majority support, but those laws were determined by the courts to be illegal. The majority of people in the south in the 19th century supported the institution of slavery. By your reasoning, does that mean slavery was/is acceptable?
yes thats exactly what im saying i have a long history of racism ( sarcasm), people of all skin colours can now vote and people of all sexualitys, they choose traditional marrige.

#82    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,535 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

View PostTaylorReints, on 04 August 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

Genesis is in the Old Testament, but many Christians will tell you they believe in Adam and Eve and the story of Noah's ark. Christians don't just go by the New Testament.

There are a bunch of silly laws in Leviticus, but many conservatives and fundamentalists believe that homosexuality is a sin, even though they will eat fat, touch an unclean animal, drink alcohol in religious places (What about the blood of Jesus?), etc. People believe what they want throughout the Bible, yet ignore large quantities of it.

View PostTaylorReints, on 04 August 2012 - 01:14 AM, said:

Genesis is in the Old Testament, but many Christians will tell you they believe in Adam and Eve and the story of Noah's ark. Christians don't just go by the New Testament.

There are a bunch of silly laws in Leviticus, but many conservatives and fundamentalists believe that homosexuality is a sin, even though they will eat fat, touch an unclean animal, drink alcohol in religious places (What about the blood of Jesus?), etc. People believe what they want throughout the Bible, yet ignore large quantities of it.

Christians arnt jews and arnt bound by there laws, we were only brought into the covenant of god when jesus died. we are not convicted by are sins but jesus frees us from them, so we are not judged by them.

Edited by Ever Learning, 04 August 2012 - 08:56 AM.

#83    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 4,133 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:12 AM

View PostEver Learning, on 04 August 2012 - 08:49 AM, said:

yes thats exactly what im saying i have a long history of racism ( sarcasm), people of all skin colours can now vote and people of all sexualitys, they choose traditional marrige.

The point people are trying to get across with that was in the past (and not too long ago really) the voting majority would have gladly kept a quite sizeable minority in a position of lesser rights given the chance. The government went over their heads to gurantee that those people were treated equally, something that the majority of the time seriously opposed.

The point is, if civil rights for black people and women would have been put to a vote, they'd have been shot down too, hands down. Just like now, people want to shoot down the rights of gay people for pretty much the same reasons. It's absurd.

As a side note, it's not a choice for or against 'traditional marriage'. This is something that tends to get lost when people talk about this. I believe in same sex marriage. I also believe in 'traditional' hetrosexual marriage. Just because I'm in favor of same sex marriage does not automatically mean I'm against 'traditional' marriage. Also, same sex marriage doesn't effect 'traditional' marriages one bit. All it does is open up marriage to a group of people. Again, to refer to similar insidences in the past, both interfaith and interacial marriages were illegal for the same 'biblical reasons' (in fact some arguements are identical to the ones being posed now) again, those arguements were shot down.

This should not be an issue at all. The fact that religions are making this a huge issue, instead of helping others, really does them no favors and, in fact, severely tarnishes them and makes them look irrelevent and backward.

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
We'll just keep on trying till we run out of cake
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#84    Viviana98

Viviana98

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

View PostUncle Pockets, on 04 August 2012 - 04:26 AM, said:

No, I arrived at that conclusion by noticing that homosexual people cannot produce children. If it was a part of nature, it would be different.

You know who can produce children though....a lot of people who don't even want them and/or don't take care of them and abuse them. How many children do you think are living in the system?? So the fact that they can't just spit out kid after kid that they don't want or not capable of taking care of is in my mind a good thing. When a gay couple wants a child they a lot of times adopt those children that heterosexuals produce. So that argument is a very poor one, sorry. Oh and I'm pretty sure there's not a whole lot of gay teen pregnancies...or too many gay people aborting babies. Lol I'm sorry but you guys need to maybe either rethink some things or come up with better arguments. I feel bad for you, I really do...

#85    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

who cares wat ppl do? if they get married or not is non of my biz actually i rly dont care if its legal or not.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#86    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

Off-topic here but...

Posted Image

That's a fancy piece of cutlery. Is it practical?

#87    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 2,208 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

View PostTrueBeliever, on 03 August 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

.....don't get gay married!

Seriously I dont see why christians feel so threatened by gay marriage. I think more will come around though. Look how many used to support slavery, and own slaves, and now they believe that to be wrong. They dont stone adulterers anymore, and they dont burn witches at the stake......so I hold out hope that they will see the light. They are just a little slow.....
Yep these kind of behaviours and reactions are finally beginning to be seen as old fashioned and outdated by the majority - hopefully in time everyone will be comfortable with this - among other things. It's sad...

Posted Image

#88    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

View Postlizzieboo, on 04 August 2012 - 02:23 AM, said:

A truly loving God would never want His children to live with self-hatred because they believe that they are evil by nature.

Agreed.

#89    Timonthy

Timonthy

Placid

• 2,208 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

View PostLrak, on 04 August 2012 - 10:32 AM, said:

Agreed.
However if there is a God, he/she/it is not omnipotent and also not truly loving.

Posted Image

#90    lizzieboo

lizzieboo

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

• He was more like a succession of extraordinary events than a person. (Douglas Adams)

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

View PostTimonthy, on 04 August 2012 - 11:22 AM, said:

However if there is a God, he/she/it is not omnipotent and also not truly loving.

That just doesn't make sense. You speculate about the very existence of a deity, then offer an unequivocal statement about the character of such a deity. Sweetie, the phenomenal irrationality of the statement is making my head hurt.

All right, I see what's going on. This is the opening salvo in what will be an escalating series of juvenile tit for tat exchanges. Well titted! Stand by for my upcoming tat. --Dr. Sheldon Cooper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users