Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dracula (1992)

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31    SCFan

SCFan

ISA 62:2; 65:15; HOS 1:10; 2:23; MATT 21:43; ACTS 11:26

• 2,621 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:19 AM

View Postschizoidwoman, on 17 August 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

I did my Master's dissertation on the Karnstein trilogy; I was lucky enough to know the screenwriter, Tudor Gates, prior to his death and he was a wealth of entertaining information!

Thats pretty cool. :tu:

I forget to list one vampire film from this period, Mario Bava's Black Sunday (1960, Italian). This black and white classic displays Bava's talent with the hypnotic and surreal. There is literally tons of vampire films from America, England, and Italy but I think I covered some of the best period ones similar or directly inspired by Bram Stoker's Dracula.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#32    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,229 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

From a technical point of view, it's a masterpiece - all of the effects are "in camera" ones. From the green smoke, to the eyes in the glass - all done with physical effects and no "CGI" or "digital post production".

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#33    Alisdair.MacDonald

Alisdair.MacDonald

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:22 AM

Outstanding movie..not perfect, but it is a classic in my opinion.

None of the special effects in the film were computer generated. They used traditional movie making methods and everything was 'conjured' during the shot. Genius. I would be careful though, it does have some terrifying scenes. It is Rated R as well.

#34    dangit12

dangit12

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

• if you like it then do it
    -mick(dangit12) :)

Posted 29 August 2012 - 06:10 AM

dracula kinda a classic everyone has to see sometime im 13 and i saw it.

#35    Lady_Mercury

Lady_Mercury

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

• 'What would James Bond do?'
    'He'd probably wear a corset so no one would guess he was sixty.'

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostTaun, on 14 August 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

Being a big fan of comedy I would add:

"Buffy The Vampire Slayer" (the movie not the series)...
and "Love at First Bite"...

Haha, 'Children of the night...shut up!'  Funny flick.

I *love* Oldman in this film.  The sceenplay takes some liberties with Stoker's novel, however.  Although Dracula may have been based on Vlad the Impaler, it's not explicitly stated like it is in the movie.  But let's be honest, the book isn't that well written; it's slow moving and the dialogue is wooden.
The cinematography is wonderful but Ryder and Reeves' accents are very iffy.  Plus there's a strange lesbian connection between Lucy and Mina which isn't in the book and serves no purpose to the story.  That's more 'Camilla' territory.

You should also consider Christopher Lee's Dracula in the 1958 Hammer flick 'The Horror of Dracula'.

Best vamps are Christopher Lee, Gary Oldman, Bela Lugosi, Frank Langella, and George Hamilton (Love at First Bite).  Jack Palance in the role is just weird...

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time
- T.S. Eliot

#36    Lady_Mercury

Lady_Mercury

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

• 'What would James Bond do?'
    'He'd probably wear a corset so no one would guess he was sixty.'

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

View PostAmbush Bug, on 15 August 2012 - 09:46 PM, said:

One of the best King books ever written, imo, yet one of its biggest common criticisms that it is nothing but a modern contemporary retake on Bram Stoker's Dracula. But I am one that didnt mind this fact because of its excellent build and produced plenty of late nite shivers and heebie-jeebies.

Speaking of vampire novels, any one here read I Am Legend by Richard Matheson?

I have it on my Kobo and have wanted to read it for ages.  Have you seen any of the film adaptations?  I've only seen Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price.  Anyone know if The Omega Man or I Am Legend with Will Smith are worth watching?

Sidenote: The Hunger movie is so overrated.

Apparently a 'must read' vampire novel is Theodore Sturgeon's 'Some of Your Blood'.  While it isn't scary (no movies or books scare me these days), it's a really interesting story.  It's pretty short, so anyone with a bit of free time to kill, you should check it out :yes:

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time
- T.S. Eliot

#37    SCFan

SCFan

ISA 62:2; 65:15; HOS 1:10; 2:23; MATT 21:43; ACTS 11:26

• 2,621 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:50 PM

View PostLady_Mercury, on 29 August 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

I have it on my Kobo and have wanted to read it for ages.  Have you seen any of the film adaptations?  I've only seen Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price.  Anyone know if The Omega Man or I Am Legend with Will Smith are worth watching?

Sidenote: The Hunger movie is so overrated.

Apparently a 'must read' vampire novel is Theodore Sturgeon's 'Some of Your Blood'.  While it isn't scary (no movies or books scare me these days), it's a really interesting story.  It's pretty short, so anyone with a bit of free time to kill, you should check it out :yes:

Yes, actually The Last Man On Earth is the very best and most faithful adaptation of I Am Legend. That is a great film.

The Omega Man is worth a watch I guess... only for its 70s apocalyptic action style especially since I am no Charleton Heston fan AT ALL. The new one with Will Smith is absolute crap with crappy CGI.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users