Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

University receives $5M to study afterlife

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:40 PM

this is cool but i doubt they will find anything that will be accepted from either side.

Edited by notoverrated, 09 August 2012 - 05:40 PM.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#17    Rick Waid

Rick Waid

Psychic Spy

• 1,164 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

I offered two.

#18    Order66

Order66

Psychic Spy

• 1,259 posts

• The hate is swelling in you now. Take your Jedi weapon. Use it. I am unarmed. Strike me down with it. Give in to your anger ...

Posted 09 August 2012 - 05:46 PM

It's just like the movie "Legend of Hell House::

A scientist is offered 1 million dollars to prove the existence of life after death ( not James Randi ) .. Malcolm McDowall's character is named "Fischer" ... What's my point, I don't know ...

Posted Image

#19    Glacknor

Glacknor

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 38 posts

• "Dum Spiro Spero"

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:02 PM

Haven't people done this study before, without millions of our tax dollars? We all learn the results when we die, and not before. Waste of our money. Grants like this should be pulled and stopped, at least while the nation is it's current state of being royally _______.

Also, to the person who commented on people commiting suicide after finding out there's something better... every Christian (and most other religions actually) believes there's something far better, they're not offing themselves in mass numbers. Also, knowing there's something better, in no way means not wanting to finish the path this life offers. The human experience may never come again. Besides "better" is a perspective issue, maybe your better life is absolute hell for me. I prefer the term "different", and in any case, life after death WILL be different, even if the athiests have it right.

#20    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Brick by brick

• 4,992 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:21 PM

Surely there is no way to prove the afterlife...

If you kill someone and bring them back and question the experience it will be filled with the bias of there own conceptions of life after death (religion or society based).

If you speak to people who have near death experiances you tend to get the same results as above.

If you just kill people you find out nothing, then go to jail ;)

I think people are only going to be disappointed by this research...

The Immortality Project will collect and review research proposals from scientists, philosophers and theologians to be published in academic journals.

Lets go where we have been before.

For example, why do millions of Americans report seeing a tunnel with a bright light at the end of it before death while, in Japan, reports often find the individual tending a garden?

See my first point above.

The project will ask other questions, such as, "Would existence in an afterlife be repetitive or boring?," "Does death give meaning to life?" and "Could we still have virtues like courage if we knew we couldn’t die?"

Hey we do that here on UM!

Sorry to bring negativity to what is a so far positive thread (lol positive about death), but I just can't see this going anywhere. Really this is just what I hoped it wasn't, a large grant to research what we already know (well what we individually believe, because that will not be changed by this research).

Edited by Junior Chubb, 09 August 2012 - 11:23 PM.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. Anyway, it's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

#21    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ, 2222

• 2,449 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:23 PM

Whatever the findings are they will be refuted by almost everyone, but will be interesting none-the-less.

A study into the afterlife is a personal journey, not a public one.

I hope that in the least they will be able to say "Yes, there is existence after physical death"

Before life there is something.
After life there is something..
Even when your life is through,
There's something to look forward to.. :tu:

#22    HecticSherlock

HecticSherlock

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 102 posts

• "I hate having to jump into convo's, idea's, or subjects without prior knowledge or facts to back me up..but if religion can do it!"

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:47 AM

"uncompromisingly scientifically rigorous" = We're gonna give heaven,hell,karma,and the afterlife some thought...some...but in the end we'll just call it some form of psychosis and just call everyone biologically defected in that area of their brain... God? such nonsense <------ That's where that phrase ends at~

Art of Survival~

Posted Image

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" Epicurus

#23    Scorpius

Scorpius

Universal Researcher

• 1,819 posts

• Harness the energies around you and you'll be able to do wondrous things.

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

There are different ways to approach life after death and that can also come in the form of exploring the paranormal and occurances that are happening to those who have experienced things out of the ordinary, such as ghosts and hauntings.

They may also look into people who seem to recall a previous life.  If a child is able to remember a "past-life" from memories of a person who has already died, then it begs to question about how those memories were received in the first place.  Also, if there are souls who continue on in a new life, where exactly do they stay in the interim and how do they choose to renew their lives?

[VIDEO] Boy Remembers Past Life (5 Parts): http://youtu.be/cdmMEKPFDTY
Related Article: http://www.facts-are...-pastlife.ihtml

I'm curious to see what they come up with.

Posted Image
Avatar and Signature designed and animated by me.  
Do not speak for those who can speak, but speak for those who cannot.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience."  - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (1881-1955)

#24    paperdyer

paperdyer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

• "The place where optimism flourishes the most is the insane asylum."

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

This is just another waste of money. If the answer comes back No, then all of the religions will be up in arms.  If the answer comes back Yes, we'll get from religion, "We didn't need a study to know that."  And if the answer comes back "We don't know."......, I go back to my first statement.

Edited by paperdyer, 10 August 2012 - 04:33 PM.

#25    highdesert50

highdesert50

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:15 PM

It would interesting to see the hypotheses presented in the proposal for research. I can imagine there will be a multitude of confounds dealing
with testability issues and basic controversy surrounding the acceptance of theory. For example, what about evolutionary psychology's innate vs learned hypothesis regarding inherited traits? Or, what about the notion of oxygen deprivation and hallucinations vs NDE?

#26    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:14 AM

i dont like thinking about wat happens after death. its scary

#27    Xanthurion2

Xanthurion2

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

• Valar morghulis

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:43 AM

i hope they come up with something. other than "the brain shows you what you want to see or believe to see based on religion or movies, to calm you as you pass from this existence." because if they tell us that, it was a huge waste of money.

SRS

#28    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,056 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:53 AM

I'm studying the afterlife, I'll happily accept $1M

#29    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

But if It's all scientific jargon,how can any of it be truely corroborated by any of the actual researchers,unless they do stuff like in the movie Flatliners.

5 million would be much better spent on say the dept of education ,or green alternatives for better living .
We all die.We will know soon enough ,what's there.
Feh.

Miss me?

#30    777MileStare

777MileStare

~Magneto-kinetic~

• 2,022 posts

• "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."~Heraticles

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:01 AM

Well, I believe theres an afterlife and I think that they are on the earth paralell to us. You don't have to believe me, but life after death shoul'd be respected as an equal to what life is here. All the same things happen in continuation for those that die young, and they live out thier lives in the same way as if life had not stoppped. So nothing is better or worse, it's considered the same. The thing is if you die, your not richer.

If I died a poor man, for example homeless, I think I woul'd eventually work out that I woul'd be homeless in my next life. But I have this thing going on where I think I have contact with the afterlife ( who'm I don't think are really dead)....and Ive made a few friends. So if I get 1045 dollars a month, I still get that afterwards and a few thousand friends to welcome me..... NO heaven or hell but just earth. OF course when your 120 years old and you eventually die, I don't think you actually live on earth anymore...there woul'd be too little space for you. So therefore there is the concept of Heaven which houses all those that are in the old age area.

Thats what I think. Like I said though you don't have to believe me or take my word for it....
'

ABSOLUTION

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users