Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Victorian 'ghost' caught in iPad image

ipad victorian ghost jack charlotte wearing

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 7,319 posts

• Oops.

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:33 AM

View PostRafterman, on 10 August 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

Can the folks at the DM not Google "ghost capture" and see the top hat guy is one of the choices?
The Daily Mail's articles on exist to to bring you to the site and drive up hits. The only reason to read the Fail is for fun, it's a rag paper of Weekly World News quality, just presented as being serious.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#17    Camarel

Camarel

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:28 AM

View PostHerNibs, on 10 August 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

Ghost app - looks like the guy below in the top hat.

Posted Image

Nibs

Legend !

#18    TheLastLazyGun

TheLastLazyGun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts
  • Location:The edge of the West Pennine Moors, Northern England

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

View Post*Frank*, on 10 August 2012 - 05:29 PM, said:

Does the daily fail have shares in this app or something? It runs a story with an obvious 'ghost app' photo almost every week.

The ghost app isn't anywhere as obvious as you think.  I suspect most people have never heard of it.  I never knew it existed until yesterday.

And people likes reading ghost stories.  It's stories like this which make The Daily Mail the second-most popular British newspaper after The Sun.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun, 22 August 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#19    jackball74

jackball74

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

Seems like these days all you can trust is a Polaroid...

#20    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,363 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 22 August 2012 - 05:44 PM, said:

The ghost app isn't anywhere as obvious as you think.
It's obvious to anyone familiar with dealing with claimed ghost pics.

And people likes reading ghost stories.
That fact that people enjoy reading about X is no excuse for publishing stories about X of questionable truth (and in many of the Daily Mail's photos, have since been proven to be hoaxes).  I suspect they don't give a toss about the truth of ghost stories, if someone brings them some silly pic with a ghost in it alongside a made-up story about how they were shocked to look at their photos when they uploaded them to their computer only to see a ghost, they'll just run with it if they have space to fill knowing that there are enough gullible people in the world to be taken in by this kind of nonsense.

Edited by Archimedes, 22 August 2012 - 06:27 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#21    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

♔ Queen

• 8,540 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:05 AM

*Bangs head* Why? Oh my god. That's clearly fake. -,-

#22    Sheetz

Sheetz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:52 AM

Being from the U.S. its easy to gather that the Daily Mail is a rubbish publication from all the funny posts you guys put up.  Can you guys in the UK tell us who are not in the know, what happens to the people who do these horribly hoaxed spoofs for that paper after they get called out on it?  Do they get ridiculed? Do they ever show their faces again in public?  LOL   I'm just curious how one gets a story done on something that supposed to be real, is clearly an iPad app that is known far and wide, and then expect to be famous from it...or for that matter infamous. Or do they just chalk it up is their 15 minutes of fame from being starved from any sort of real life??  I can't imagine having my face plastered huge in a publication all for a horribly pulled off spoof...and then think I'm cool somehow - when in fact you come off as a bigger tool than ever...

Edited by Sheetz, 23 August 2012 - 02:53 AM.

#23    Sakari

Sakari

Say it how it is

• 13,064 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:00 AM

View PostRafterman, on 10 August 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

Can the folks at the DM not Google "ghost capture" and see the top hat guy is one of the choices?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Top left, second over......

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#24    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,534 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostMisstreeDove, on 11 August 2012 - 02:23 AM, said:

App. The fact that the picture was taken on a iPad reinforces it. Looking through the App Store on my iPod, here are a few examples of ghost picture apps:

GhostBooth
Snap Ghost
Ghost Prank Camera

Maybe when I have the time, I'll make an example.

Fake, thumbs down. :td:

I guess I can't use them because I have an old model iPad. Ah well.

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

#25    Sheetz

Sheetz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

View PostSakari, on 23 August 2012 - 04:00 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Top left, second over......

The only thing missing....a button for direct publishing to UM!!! LOL

#26    *Frank*

*Frank*

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

• Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:49 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 22 August 2012 - 05:44 PM, said:

The ghost app isn't anywhere as obvious as you think.  I suspect most people have never heard of it.  I never knew it existed until yesterday.

And people likes reading ghost stories.  It's stories like this which make The Daily Mail the second-most popular British newspaper after The Sun.

It's obvious to me. Stick around this forum and soon you'll even be able to spot them just from the title of the thread.

There was a SIGNATURE here. It's gone now.

#27    Rob Awesome

Rob Awesome

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

• If we don't have an apocolypse soon I'll have to find work

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:29 AM

on beyond the fact it's fake, why did she make him miniature and standing on/in the hedge?

The "mean to"s make an unhappy one

#28    Sheetz

Sheetz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

how does the old saying go?

A ghost in the bush is worth.....

LOL

#29    scowl

scowl

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,111 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

View Postjackball74, on 22 August 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

Seems like these days all you can trust is a Polaroid...

Unfortunately even Polaroids are ideal for fakery. Ed Walters of the infamous Gulf Breeze hoax demonstrated how easy it is to double-expose a Polaroid. Although some of his "spacecraft" looked completely transparent against the evening sky, that didn't stop thousands of people from believing they were genuine solid flying objects.

As the UFOs supposedly followed him over several years, Walters chose not to purchase far better 35mm cameras with sharp lenses and more sensitive film to document his remarkable encounters. Instead, he purchased more Polaroid cameras! With Polaroids you don't have to worry about your failed fakes being on the same roll as your successes -- you just throw them away.

#30    jackball74

jackball74

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:41 PM

View Postscowl, on 24 August 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

Unfortunately even Polaroids are ideal for fakery. Ed Walters of the infamous Gulf Breeze hoax demonstrated how easy it is to double-expose a Polaroid. Although some of his "spacecraft" looked completely transparent against the evening sky, that didn't stop thousands of people from believing they were genuine solid flying objects.

As the UFOs supposedly followed him over several years, Walters chose not to purchase far better 35mm cameras with sharp lenses and more sensitive film to document his remarkable encounters. Instead, he purchased more Polaroid cameras! With Polaroids you don't have to worry about your failed fakes being on the same roll as your successes -- you just throw them away.
Good to know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users