Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 1 votes

America's most infamous serial killers

seril killers murderers psychopaths

  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 43,344 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:10 PM

The term serial killer was not coined until 1961 - but that's not to say sick and twisted mass murderers did not exist before that.

For before the most well-known, most-celebrated and most truly-evil serial killers in the world became household names and even - in a twisted, macabre way - celebrities, there were psychopaths just like them who were just as, if not more, sick, sinister and deadly.

The Charles Mansons, Ted Bundys and Jeffrey Dahmers of the 18th and 19th Centuries were known as 'multi-murderers' and America's fascination with the sex killers and homicidal maniacs of the day was as prevalent then as it is now.

http://www.dailymail...-Strangler.html

Posted Image

#2    notoverrated

notoverrated

    O.O

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Joined:18 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kansas

  • courage > scooby

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:16 PM

the last one is like a freaking horror movie type ending...dam.

Edited by notoverrated, 11 August 2012 - 03:16 PM.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#3    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

    Caporegime.

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:U.K.

  • The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

Some bad ones there.

The last one is maybe the worse.

Thanks,

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.


#4    regi

regi

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,497 posts
  • Joined:28 May 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Texas

Posted 11 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

Oh, yeah. These types of criminals have always existed, but even now, the I see the media refer to serial murders as "mass" murders.

I'm still learning about serial murderers I'd never heard of, no matter when their crimes occurred.
Until yesterday, I'd never heard of serial killer Dean Corll's crimes (referred to in '73 as the Houston Mass Murders), and that case was recognized at the time as the worst case of serial murder in US history until Gacy's crimes were discovered!
http://www.wikipedia...wiki/Dean_Corll
http://www.crime.abo.../dean_corll.htm

I'd also never heard of the serial murders in former Wineville, Ca. until I saw the movie Changling.
http://www.wikipedia...en_Coop_Murders
http://www.chickenmurders.blogspot.com


#5    Lady_Mercury

Lady_Mercury

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Joined:20 Dec 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Where the dew drops cry and the cats meow

  • 'What would James Bond do?'
    'He'd probably wear a corset so no one would guess he was sixty.'

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

That last one is seriously sick.
But wait...there's a Smutty Nose island??

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time
- T.S. Eliot


#6    Antilles

Antilles

    NCC-1701

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts
  • Joined:23 Jul 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:2nd star from the left

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

There's discussion that the term was 1st introduced in the 1950's - 'chain' killer, not serial killer, but meaning the same thing. The term might have only been introd in the 60's but the notion had been around for a long time.


#7    notoverrated

notoverrated

    O.O

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Joined:18 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kansas

  • courage > scooby

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

View Postregi, on 11 August 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

Oh, yeah. These types of criminals have always existed, but even now, the I see the media refer to serial murders as "mass" murders.

I'm still learning about serial murderers I'd never heard of, no matter when their crimes occurred.
Until yesterday, I'd never heard of serial killer Dean Corll's crimes (referred to in '73 as the Houston Mass Murders), and that case was recognized at the time as the worst case of serial murder in US history until Gacy's crimes were discovered!
http://www.wikipedia...wiki/Dean_Corll
http://www.crime.abo.../dean_corll.htm

I'd also never heard of the serial murders in former Wineville, Ca. until I saw the movie Changling.
http://www.wikipedia...en_Coop_Murders
http://www.chickenmurders.blogspot.com
im pretty sure that mass killers kilsl everyone at once while a serial killer has a cooling off time.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#8    Eldorado

Eldorado

    Unforgiven

  • Member
  • 11,900 posts
  • Joined:29 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland

  • I reckon so.

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

View PostSuper-Fly, on 11 August 2012 - 03:33 PM, said:

Some bad ones there.
The last one is maybe the worse.
Thanks,

"In my lifetime I have murdered 21 human beings, I have committed thousands of burglaries, robberies, larcenies, arsons, and, last but not least, I have committed sodomy on more than 1,000 male human beings. For all these things I am not in the least bit sorry."
-- Carl Panzram (June 28, 1891 – September 5, 1930) An American serial killer, rapist, arsonist and burglar.

That is what I call BAD.

Edited by Eldorado, 23 August 2012 - 12:14 PM.


#9    regi

regi

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,497 posts
  • Joined:28 May 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Texas

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

View Postnotoverrated, on 23 August 2012 - 11:02 AM, said:

im pretty sure that mass killers kilsl everyone at once while a serial killer has a cooling off time.

Yeah, there's some sort of cooling off period between victims, and also, I believe that the FBI determines a serial killer as having at least three victims.

I had to lay off reading detailed info about any particular serial killer's crimes. It does me no good to subject myself to certain aspects, and then have those lurking in my subconscious mind and ready to appear when I'm trying to sleep! :no:


#10    rashore

rashore

    Non-Corporeal Being

  • 8,259 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2010
  • Gender:Female

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

I'm sure JVE got better info than this but to my understanding..

Mass Murder is killing multiple people in one location over one time frame. I've seen 4 being a base number. One time frame can be over minutes or days. Like a mass murder of an entire family one evening, or holding people hostage and killing them over time.
Spree Killing is killing multiple people in multiple locations over one time frame. I've seen 2 being a base number. One time frame seems to be fairly short since there is no discernible cool off between crimes, the killer moves from one to the next. Like killing a person in one location then going down the street to kill another.
Serial killing is killing multiple people in multiple time frames, location action can vary. I've seen 3 being a base number. There is a noticeable cool off between killings. Locations can vary because some travel and some don't.

I hope I got that right.

And this is just a random thought... Media sure has come up with some monikers for these folks.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#11    Barnacle Battlefront

Barnacle Battlefront

    Death Before Decaf

  • Member
  • 5,468 posts
  • Joined:04 May 2004
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Western Australia

  • There's no place like 127.0.0.1

    A symptom of the universe

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

View Postregi, on 23 August 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

Yeah, there's some sort of cooling off period between victims, and also, I believe that the FBI determines a serial killer as having at least three victims.

I had to lay off reading detailed info about any particular serial killer's crimes. It does me no good to subject myself to certain aspects, and then have those lurking in my subconscious mind and ready to appear when I'm trying to sleep! :no:

That's pretty much the definition of it (I study serial killers as a hobby :P )

A mass (or spree) killer kills multiple people at the same time. A serial killer kills a number of people over a period of time. The number of murders for a person to be considered a serial killer is set at 3, due to the idea that they make their first kill, the second is to see if they actually 'like' it, and the third is when they really get into what they're doing and begin to develop their own style.

Which is why it irritates me a bit that Ed Gein usually features on lists of worst serial killers. He had 2 known victims, therefore making him a grave robber, not necessarily a serial killer as those victims are believed to be the only people he killed

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking. Racing around to come up behind you again. The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older. Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.


Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy as hell.- Maca02


#12    regi

regi

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 3,497 posts
  • Joined:28 May 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Texas

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

View PostInvaderTAQ, on 25 August 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

That's pretty much the definition of it (I study serial killers as a hobby :P )

Are all serial killers sadistic? I guess they all are to some degree, right?

You know, it's easy to see how the ones who travel around get away with it, but it's those who've lived in the same place- especially those who wouldn't have been thought of as loners- those who lived with immediate family and/or had close friends and colleagues- who are the most fascinating cases to me because no one "close" to them ever seems to have had a clue. I know that speaks mostly to the pathology of the perp, but it still blows me away.

Yeah, Ed Gein killed a store clerk, and I think that's what led authorities to his house. Her body was found suspended from the rafters in the barn and was mutilated as one would "dress" a deer.
The scene was bizarre enough, but maybe made even more bizarre because it was hunting season.


#13    notoverrated

notoverrated

    O.O

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Joined:18 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kansas

  • courage > scooby

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:24 PM

View Postregi, on 23 August 2012 - 03:37 PM, said:

Yeah, there's some sort of cooling off period between victims, and also, I believe that the FBI determines a serial killer as having at least three victims.

I had to lay off reading detailed info about any particular serial killer's crimes. It does me no good to subject myself to certain aspects, and then have those lurking in my subconscious mind and ready to appear when I'm trying to sleep! :no:
ya its 3, i remeber when BTK was roaming the streets around here >.>

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#14    Barnacle Battlefront

Barnacle Battlefront

    Death Before Decaf

  • Member
  • 5,468 posts
  • Joined:04 May 2004
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Western Australia

  • There's no place like 127.0.0.1

    A symptom of the universe

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:18 AM

View Postregi, on 25 August 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

Are all serial killers sadistic? I guess they all are to some degree, right?

You know, it's easy to see how the ones who travel around get away with it, but it's those who've lived in the same place- especially those who wouldn't have been thought of as loners- those who lived with immediate family and/or had close friends and colleagues- who are the most fascinating cases to me because no one "close" to them ever seems to have had a clue. I know that speaks mostly to the pathology of the perp, but it still blows me away.

Yeah, Ed Gein killed a store clerk, and I think that's what led authorities to his house. Her body was found suspended from the rafters in the barn and was mutilated as one would "dress" a deer.
The scene was bizarre enough, but maybe made even more bizarre because it was hunting season.

From a 'normal' persons point of view they would probably all be viewed as sadistic. Although not all of them enjoyed it as such, for example William Heirens begged the police to find him and stop him, saying he couldn't control himself. I've always been curious though, about whether or not some serial killers would have still committed their crimes had they not suffered early childhood trauma, or been the victim of somewhat deranged parents.

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking. Racing around to come up behind you again. The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older. Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.


Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy as hell.- Maca02


#15    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

    Undecided, mostly.

  • Member
  • 8,289 posts
  • Joined:09 May 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Likely, Canada

  • I'd rather laugh than argue.

    Choose your weapon.

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:51 AM

There is 'infamous', and there is 'the most heinous'. Putting the numbers of victims aside, Albert Fish is in a category by himself. There are two words that should never appear side by side; "pedophillic cannibal".

After his arrest and trial "None of the jurors doubted that Fish was insane. But ultimately, as one later explained, they felt he should be executed anyway."

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Albert_Fish





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users