Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

High-Resolution Color Images from Gale Crater

mars curiosity mars science laboratory rover nasa

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#31    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:53 PM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 16 August 2012 - 01:57 AM, said:

Gas wont last , Just Look at us here on earth ! The more Mexican food I eat the more Gas I make,butt Curiosity GOt no good Mexican food to eat up there ! :tu:

D, you keep generating greenhouse gasses and  Al Gore will be coming to Texas and lecture you, and move to ban you and your smoker!
He'll take your incandescent light bulks, disable your smoker, make you cleanse your bowels, and D's holiday BBQ will wind up being cancelled!

:no: :td: :cry:

A smokin' grill is a terrible thing to waste!

:w00t:

#32    Kirbstone

Kirbstone

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

• Carpe Diem! Seize the Day!

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:46 AM

It's like Science Fiction come true.  The ultimate CCTV.  Mind you, no matter how I twiddled the thing I couldn't see anyone, or any water, for that matter.
Better drive the thing up to the top of that there hill and have another look...

#33    TruthSeeker-Daniel

TruthSeeker-Daniel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

• Surely some revelation is at hand.....
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches toward Bethlehem to be born ?

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:26 AM

View PostKirbstone, on 19 August 2012 - 02:46 AM, said:

It's like Science Fiction come true.  The ultimate CCTV.  Mind you, no matter how I twiddled the thing I couldn't see anyone, or any water, for that matter.
Better drive the thing up to the top of that there hill and have another look...
It'll send us Tweets as well as pictures & data. I've subscribed to Curiosity's Twitter feed.

#34    Belial

Belial

Love me grub i do.

• 4,430 posts

• We all want to go to heaven, but no one wants to die to get their.

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

Why are bits blacked out?

Where it states "For official use only" - gently rub a white wax candle over the area indicated.

#35    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,226 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

View PostBelial, on 19 August 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

Why are bits blacked out?

I take it you didn't read the original post. Had you done so you would have read this:

The black areas indicate high-resolution images not yet returned by the rover.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#36    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:27 PM

View PostKirbstone, on 19 August 2012 - 02:46 AM, said:

We'll be starting with a rather lengthy process of power-up and configuring for surface OPS, then they'll carefully and  slowly move out toward rhe foothills of Mt. Sharp, the target, to look for signs of water, and the possibility of microbial life, present, or past.
It is thought, based upon layering observed at the mountain, that Gale Crater may have been a lake bed at one time.  That "hill" out there is taller than 194  of the tallest 200  moutains in the United States *(it's about a  16,000 footer!)

I think the summit isn't on Curiosity's agenda...

:tu:

#37    TruthSeeker-Daniel

TruthSeeker-Daniel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, slouches toward Bethlehem to be born ?

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

Why hasn't anyone thought about landing a geological ( Areseological ? ), etc., probe on the top of Olympus Mons ? It would take lifetimes to explore the solar system's largest known volcano - both in machine & possibly human years ! If not NASA, then the Russian, European or Japanese space agencies.

#38    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,226 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:51 PM

View PostTruthSeeker-Daniel, on 19 August 2012 - 09:28 PM, said:

Why hasn't anyone thought about landing a geological ( Areseological ? ), etc., probe on the top of Olympus Mons ? It would take lifetimes to explore the solar system's largest known volcano - both in machine & possibly human years ! If not NASA, then the Russian, European or Japanese space agencies.

Landing on top of a 15 mile high mountain is likely to pose all sorts of problems, not least trying to pin point terrain that is flat enough to land safely on. No point going all that way just to crash.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#39    TruthSeeker-Daniel

TruthSeeker-Daniel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:09 AM

Hmm..... Got to wonder how long it would take to land at the base of Olympus Mons, then climb progressively upwards. On the other hand, a Mars Rover devoted to Valles Marineris might find some interesting things, like how the valley was carved. A succession of Rovers relaying data to each other would be interesting. Safety in numbers & all that.

#40    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,226 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:13 AM

View PostTruthSeeker-Daniel, on 20 August 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

Hmm..... Got to wonder how long it would take to land at the base of Olympus Mons, then climb progressively upwards.
Climbing Olympus Mons from the base would be nearly impossible. The entire base is encircled by sheer cliffs up to 5 miles high.

Posted Image
Click on button

#41    TruthSeeker-Daniel

TruthSeeker-Daniel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:17 AM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 20 August 2012 - 12:13 AM, said:

Climbing Olympus Mons from the base would be nearly impossible. The entire base is encircled by sheer cliffs up to 5 miles high.
Valles Marineris, then. Stay close to the surface, hopefully, no Marsquakes, tremors, etc.

#42    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,805 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 19 August 2012 - 11:51 PM, said:

Landing on top of a 15 mile high mountain is likely to pose all sorts of problems, not least trying to pin point terrain that is flat enough to land safely on. No point going all that way just to crash.
I saw a BBC documentary a while back about Curiosity and one of the NASA guys being interviewed said that one of the ironies about Mars exploration is that in order to ensure a safe landing they end up picking large boring flat areas of Mars that aren't particularly scientifically geologically interesting compared with other places on Mars they might prefer to explore and do experiments on.

But Curiosity's landing target was much smaller than that of previous landers, so maybe new technology will allow NASA to further shrink their targets and put future rovers in all sorts of weird and wonderful places on the surface.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

"If people put enough excrement in one pile they think they can safely claim that there must be something other than excrement in a pile that big." - stereologist

#43    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,180 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostTruthSeeker-Daniel, on 20 August 2012 - 12:17 AM, said:

Valles Marineris, then. Stay close to the surface, hopefully, no Marsquakes, tremors, etc.

That's the area that I also think is most promising. It's very deep,and the atmosphere will be thicker.

#44    TruthSeeker-Daniel

TruthSeeker-Daniel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:27 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 20 August 2012 - 08:46 PM, said:

That's the area that I also think is most promising. It's very deep,and the atmosphere will be thicker.
Of course it'll be covering an area that would stretch roughly from the Bay area to NY, more area than Curiosity could cover in its short mechanical life. Hence we'd need multiple Roving labs.

#45    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 19,033 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

HEnce we need Man on Mars ! This Is how to really explore ! Whats up Earth people ? Got no Chahone`s
:tu:
Oh ! Oh ITs the money thing again ! Right ! PRINT MORE  thats how you get it done !

This is a Work in Progress!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users