Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

South African Police Fire at Mine Strikers

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 34,989 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:04 PM

MARIKANA, South Africa  — South African riot police officers opened fire on striking miners armed with machetes and sticks at Lonmin’s Marikana platinum mine on Thursday, killing at least a dozen men in the deadliest episode of a week of union violence.

Heavily armed officers backed by armored vehicles were laying out barbed-wire barricades when they were outflanked by some of the estimated 3,000 miners massed on a rocky outcrop near the mine, 60 miles northwest of Johannesburg.

The police opened fire with automatic weapons on a group of men who burst out from behind a vehicle. The volley of bullets threw up clouds of dust, which cleared to reveal at least seven bodies lying on the ground, Reuters television footage showed.

Guess Nelson Mandela is sorry to have been in jail for this to happen... Looks like the old deKlerk and Botha days.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#2    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

You forgot the link. :P

Edited by Coffey, 16 August 2012 - 06:29 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#3    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,218 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

Seems kind of odd that the 'bullets threw up clouds of dust'... Were the police shooting low?  Granted I don't know the lay of the land or the terrain in any way, but I've seen mass volleys of gunfire in quite a few types of terrain and seldom saw 'a cloud of dust', unless the volley was fired into the ground (or a berm of dirt, etc)...

I guess what I'm wondering is did the police fire directly at the rioters, or - in an attempt to disperse them - did they just fire too close?

#4    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,223 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:43 AM

How did the cradle of humanity end up being so behind and violent?

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#5    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:03 AM

Hard to believe that they shoot each other while the police officers should've joined the protest.

Finally a group of ppl you hear about that demands a higher pay. ... and the police shoots them.
All that for a company that takes their resources and is co-responsible for damning the nation to live in poverty.

#6    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,583 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:11 AM

i heard the miners were advancing on police with machetes and clubs?

Scratch that. Just found a link. If an army of armed miners are coming towards me with weapons, I'm shooting. It was all filmed by Reuters, clink on the link if you want to see it.

#7    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

They were advancing like they were for 3 days straight.
The police had been negotiating with them all those days.

"Just before 4 p.m. on Thursday, after repeated warnings to the crowd of about 3,000 miners to disarm and disperse, the police began firing tear gas and water cannons to try to get them to leave, witnesses said. In video captured by several news organizations, the police appeared to fire upon a group of workers who charged toward them."
http://www.nytimes.c...ing-miners.html
seems like someone just lost their patience...

They should've just joined forces and went up to Lonmin (British Company - nothing african about it) and demanded some respect and higher pay.

#8    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,583 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

Mate, the way they were charging with weapons raised hardly said "please negotiate with me". There was a direct threat to the live of the police sent to the region because of a dispute between two miners unions.

Have you seen that video??

#9    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:08 AM

look, life there is different. Unions there don't come on the street with whistles and banners. They go on the street with machetes, guns and whatever they want.
They had been negotiating for 3 full days.

Thereafter the police was feeling they were running out of time and threw tear gas up in there.
the workers charged, the police reacted
The police in Africa is more aggressive anyway. It's like America, but with less rules.

The fact that they fought each other while they should've been fighting together against the one that extorts the countries resources is wrong.

Edited by Render, 17 August 2012 - 08:08 AM.

#10    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

Ooft, that video was carnage. They were just mown down. Brutal.

I can sort of understand the police defending themselves, but there were no warning shots, no rubber bullets, no aiming at legs or the ground in front of them - nothing non-lethal to deter the protesters.

I think the shooting was intended to send a clear message to the protesters.

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 17 August 2012 - 01:53 PM.

#11    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

Seems justified if they where running at them with machettes etc.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#12    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,950 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

A sad situation but if you start running at guys with guns with a machette they're going to take you down.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#13    Rob Awesome

Rob Awesome

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

• If we don't have an apocolypse soon I'll have to find work

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

The reporter on CNN said he protesters shot first, I couldn't see any miners with guns in the videos.  I guess it doesn't mean here weren't any it just seems like an odd thing to say.

I feel bad for the whole continent of Africa, the rest of the world has been taking their resources for a very long time and providing nothing of value in return.

The "mean to"s make an unhappy one

#14    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 13,201 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 19 August 2012 - 12:00 AM

View PostRob Awesome, on 17 August 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

The reporter on CNN said he protesters shot first, I couldn't see any miners with guns in the videos.  I guess it doesn't mean here weren't any it just seems like an odd thing to say.

I feel bad for the whole continent of Africa, the rest of the world has been taking their resources for a very long time and providing nothing of value in return.
I thought I saw a single muzzle flash on the left side of the crowd but I only perceived it after the main shooting began.  They no doubt were sending a message.  It's not much better than outright slavery from the looks of it.  The mine and it's owners should be boycotted.

Imagination is the power in the turn of a phrase.

#15    ZaraKitty

ZaraKitty

Psychic Spy

• 1,202 posts

• I can see it in their eyes, they've already died.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:15 AM

Lovely.

The internet is a series of tubes, and those tubes are full of cats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users