Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 2 votes

Bible Books


  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16    Ninhursag

Ninhursag

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Joined:16 Feb 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Kish, Sumer

  • Et In Arcadia Ego

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

Pure Perfection!! Oh Man I Don't Know Where To Start But All Of That Will Definitely Keep Me Busy For Months :)

Thanks And Keep Them Coming :tsu:

~ Nothing In Nature Is By Chance... Something Appears To Be Chance Only Because Of Our Lack Of Knowledge. - Brauch De Spinoza ~

#17    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,110 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

You're welcome Ninhursag !

And another one....

This one I also have, but in a Dutch translation. But if you can lay your hands on a copy, don't hesitate, buy it.


Patrick Tilley : Mission (the Dutch edition is called "Het Nieuwste Testament", or "The Newest Testament")

http://www.patrick-t...ssion/index.php


From a review:

On the night of Easter Saturday 1981 a naked corpse is brought in to the mortuary of a New York hospital.

The dead man, apparently the victim of a brutal East Side alleyway murder, is horribly bruised and mutilated.

In his early 30s, lean, swarthy, bearded, with shoulder-length hair, he has a stab wound just under his left rib cage, dreadful lacerations on his back, wounds on his wrists and feet, and a battered head.

Was he a dope-pusher, perhaps, or the victim of a particularly vicious Mafia gangland killing?

Perhaps. But then his teeth have no fillings, his feet have never worn shoes, and stuck in his scalp are three dark spikes that look like inch-long nails but that turn out to be thorns - thorns identified by a botanist as having been cut from a Middle Eastern, prickly shrub within the previous two weeks.

Examining the body in the hospital mortuary, the Jewish lady doctor and her wealthy 35-year-old Jewish lawyer love, Leo Resnick, are baffled when the corpse, undoubtedly dead, begins to show signs of life and then suddenly disappears while their backs are briefly turned.

Neither of them is a practising Jew and certainly has no belief in the Christian Son of God. But the lawyer, trained in logic and reason, finds himself apprehensively but inescapably returning to the absurd, incredible, yet only possible judgement of the evidence:

'Somehow, at the instant of the purported Resurrection, the body of the man known as Jesus had been transported forward through time and had materialised for at least 75 minutes in Manhattan on Easter Saturday of the 81st year of the 20th century.'

Why on the night of Easter Saturday when the Resurrection is said to have happened on Easter Sunday? Because Jerusalem is seven hours ahead of New York: in Israel it is already Sunday morning.


http://www.patrick-t...day_express.php

.

Edited by Abramelin, 28 August 2012 - 04:55 PM.


#18    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,110 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

The next one I once lent to a neighbour, but she never returned it to me, like the cellphone she stole from me...

Jeremy Leven
Satan: His Psychotherapy and Cure by the Unfortunate Dr. Kassler J.S.P.S.

http://en.wikipedia....ssler,_J.S.P.S.

http://books.google....J.S.P.S&f=false


It's very well written and often hilarious.


#19    Ninhursag

Ninhursag

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Joined:16 Feb 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Kish, Sumer

  • Et In Arcadia Ego

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:41 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 28 August 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

You're welcome Ninhursag !

And another one....

This one I also have, but in a Dutch translation. But if you can lay your hands on a copy, don't hesitate, buy it.


Patrick Tilley : Mission (the Dutch edition is called "Het Nieuwste Testament", or "The Newest Testament")

http://www.patrick-t...ssion/index.php


From a review:

On the night of Easter Saturday 1981 a naked corpse is brought in to the mortuary of a New York hospital.

The dead man, apparently the victim of a brutal East Side alleyway murder, is horribly bruised and mutilated.

In his early 30s, lean, swarthy, bearded, with shoulder-length hair, he has a stab wound just under his left rib cage, dreadful lacerations on his back, wounds on his wrists and feet, and a battered head.

Was he a dope-pusher, perhaps, or the victim of a particularly vicious Mafia gangland killing?

Perhaps. But then his teeth have no fillings, his feet have never worn shoes, and stuck in his scalp are three dark spikes that look like inch-long nails but that turn out to be thorns - thorns identified by a botanist as having been cut from a Middle Eastern, prickly shrub within the previous two weeks.

Examining the body in the hospital mortuary, the Jewish lady doctor and her wealthy 35-year-old Jewish lawyer love, Leo Resnick, are baffled when the corpse, undoubtedly dead, begins to show signs of life and then suddenly disappears while their backs are briefly turned.

Neither of them is a practising Jew and certainly has no belief in the Christian Son of God. But the lawyer, trained in logic and reason, finds himself apprehensively but inescapably returning to the absurd, incredible, yet only possible judgement of the evidence:

'Somehow, at the instant of the purported Resurrection, the body of the man known as Jesus had been transported forward through time and had materialised for at least 75 minutes in Manhattan on Easter Saturday of the 81st year of the 20th century.'

Why on the night of Easter Saturday when the Resurrection is said to have happened on Easter Sunday? Because Jerusalem is seven hours ahead of New York: in Israel it is already Sunday morning.


http://www.patrick-t...day_express.php

.

This Is A Novel If I Read Correctly, Right?? I'm Interested More In The "Real Thing" .. I Think I Haven't Read Fiction In Years And Frankly I Don't Miss It ..

~ Nothing In Nature Is By Chance... Something Appears To Be Chance Only Because Of Our Lack Of Knowledge. - Brauch De Spinoza ~

#20    Ninhursag

Ninhursag

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Joined:16 Feb 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Kish, Sumer

  • Et In Arcadia Ego

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 28 August 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

The next one I once lent to a neighbour, but she never returned it to me, like the cellphone she stole from me...

Jeremy Leven
Satan: His Psychotherapy and Cure by the Unfortunate Dr. Kassler J.S.P.S.

http://en.wikipedia....ssler,_J.S.P.S.

http://books.google....J.S.P.S&f=false


It's very well written and often hilarious.

This One Sounds More Interesting .. I Might Give It A Try Someday :)
Thanks!

~ Nothing In Nature Is By Chance... Something Appears To Be Chance Only Because Of Our Lack Of Knowledge. - Brauch De Spinoza ~

#21    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,110 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

I still have the next one:

The Secret Adam:A Study of Nasoraean Gnosis - Elisabeth S. Drower (1960)

http://egnu93.files....adam_drower.pdf



A whole online handbook:

THE GNOSTIC HANDBOOK

http://www.themasoni...tic/gnostic.pdf


#22    Eldorado

Eldorado

    Unforgiven

  • Member
  • 10,511 posts
  • Joined:29 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland

  • I reckon so.

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

View PostNinhursag, on 29 August 2012 - 10:41 AM, said:

This Is A Novel If I Read Correctly, Right?? I'm Interested More In The "Real Thing" .. I Think I Haven't Read Fiction In Years And Frankly I Don't Miss It ..

Should you ever stray back to fiction, ma'am may I suggest the following.
"The greatest serial killer novel ever written, period.
By Reason of Insanity was also the first such effort, setting the template for writers like Thomas Harris, John Sanford and Steve Thayer. It’s a big, thick book centering on a hideously abused child who grows into a misogynistic psychopath and inspires a nation-wide manhunt. There’s also a determined reporter, an expert on mass murder who becomes obsessed with taking the psycho down...and who comes to identify a little too closely with the object of his hunt.
As that synopsis indicates, this novel established the conventions of the serial killer thriller, and while certain aspects seem dated (like the fact that the term "serial killer" is never mentioned), it retains much of its considerable power. Back in 1979 the level of sex and violence presented herein was unprecedented, and the nastiness remains strong and impacting."
http://www.fright.co...y_reason___.htm
http://en.wikipedia....i/Shane_Stevens

Apologies for straying off topic.


#23    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,110 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

LOL, let me stray back on topic. Interesting read, btw.

Thinking about it, I've noticed I read quite a lot of 'alternative interpretations' of the Bible/Jesus/God and so on.

Here's another one I read many years ago (online):

JESUS
http://www.abacom.co...ause/jesus.html


#24    Abramelin

Abramelin

    -

  • Member
  • 18,110 posts
  • Joined:07 May 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

  • God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

Seola (1878)
Author: Smith, J. Gregory, Mrs., 1818-1905

http://archive.org/d...laxxx00smitiala
http://archive.org/s...age/n8/mode/1up

Seola is an antediluvian novel published in 1878, written by Ann Eliza Smith. The publishers of the novel are Boston: Lee and Shepard, New York: Charles T. Dillingham.

The majority of the novel purports to be a translation of an ancient scroll diary written by a woman named Seola, who is identified as the wife of Japheth. The Book of Genesis indicates that Noah had three sons named Ham, Shem and Japheth. In the appendix section of the novel, Ann Smith describes how she was inspired to write the fantasy. She writes:


"Seola is a fantasy, revealed to the writer while listening to the performance of an extraordinary musical composition. It was sudden and unforeseen as the landscape which sometimes appears to a benighted traveller, for one instant only, illumined by the lightning's flash.

It does not therefore pretend to be either history or theology, but yet the theory upon which the story is founded is in strict accordance with the sacred writings of the Hebrews and traditions of other ancient nations."


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seola



Few pages from the book:

http://ia700308.us.a...cale=3&rotate=0

http://ia700308.us.a...cale=3&rotate=0

http://ia700308.us.a...cale=3&rotate=0


#25    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

    ????????

  • 25,992 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney

  • Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 28 August 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

You're welcome Ninhursag !

And another one....

This one I also have, but in a Dutch translation. But if you can lay your hands on a copy, don't hesitate, buy it.


Patrick Tilley : Mission (the Dutch edition is called "Het Nieuwste Testament", or "The Newest Testament")

http://www.patrick-t...ssion/index.php
Sounds somewhat in similar vein to Kel Richards' "Case of the Vanishing Corpse", it's about a P.I. named Ben Bartholomew who is hired to solve the ultimate "Locked Room" mystery - a corpse has vanished, the corpse of one Jesus Davidson (line of David?), and only Ben Bartholomew can get to the bottom of it.  It is fiction, but it's based on the biblical account of the resurrection, but with a modern twist, fast cars and guns, Mafia underworld and back-alley beat-downs.  It's a fun read, if you're into that sort of thing.

Personally, I've never found much interest in "alternate readings" of the Bible.  I'm all for scholarly understanding, even academic reading (as opposed to theological - theological reading assumes an inerrant "word of God" Bible; academia does not).  But most "alternative theories" amount to nothing more than a conspiracy theory from what I've seen.

Edited by Paranoid Android, 19 June 2013 - 03:46 PM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#26    Papagiorgio

Papagiorgio

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts
  • Joined:17 Oct 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Philadelphia PA

  • I'm just saying.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
By Christopher Moore
It is fantastic.

I'm just saying.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users