Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Reasons Why People Are Voting for Bush or Kerry

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 27 September 2004 - 04:39 PM

This poll is a couple of weeks old and the numbers continue to fluctuate, but I thought that the percentages of why a candidate was getting a vote from a person was kind of interesting. The formatting of the spreadsheet doesn't keep too well on the post, but it is still readable.

The fact that many people are voting for Kerry to get Bush out of office didn't really surprise me...

GALLUP NEWS SERVICE

PRINCETON, NJ -- Gallup's latest poll, conducted Sept. 13-15, shows President George W. Bush's lead over Democratic challenger John Kerry growing wider than at any other time over the past several months.

But what's behind the support of each of these two candidates? The Sept. 13-15 poll asked Americans in an open-ended question to give the one or two most important reasons why they are voting for their particular candidate.

The results show that Bush supporters (those who say they would vote for Bush if the election was held today) generally are voting on the basis of the president's performance, his stance on terrorism, and his leadership qualities. Kerry supporters generally say they want to get Bush out of the White House, but a substantial number also say they are voting for Kerry because of their opinion about the war in Iraq and the current administration's policies on terrorism or national security.

Bush Supporters Say…

Bush supporters are most likely to say they would vote to re-elect Bush because they approve of his job performance and his policies. The most frequently mentioned response is that Bush simply is "doing a good job," mentioned by 27% of registered Bush voters. The next most frequently mentioned responses are Bush's stances on Iraq, terrorism, and national security, mentioned by 21% of registered Bush voters, and his leadership qualities, mentioned by 20%. Roughly one in six registered voters say they are voting for Bush because he is honest or ethical (16%) and because Bush has "good moral values/religious beliefs" (15%).

What Are the Most Important One or Two Reasons Why You Would Vote for
George W. Bush?

2004 Sep 13-15
Registered Bush voters

%

Doing a good job/satisfied with job performance

War issues/stance on terrorism/national security

Leadership quality/better candidate for the job

Honesty/integrity/ethics

Good moral values/religious beliefs

Favor his agenda/ideas/platforms/goals

Like Bush/good character

Abortion issues

Not a good time for change

Economic issues

Dislike Kerry/poor character

Tax issues

Military experience

Healthcare

Dissatisfied with Kerry's job performance

Foreign policy/improved international stance

Jobs/unemployment

Providing for the elderly

Education

Other

None

No opinion

Total
146%

Numbers add to more than 100% due to multiple responses.

* Less than 0.5%

BASED ON 468 REGISTERED VOTERS WHO WOULD VOTE FOR BUSH; ±5 PCT. PTS.

Kerry Supporters Say…
More than one in four registered voters who support Kerry say they are voting for Kerry because they want Bush out of office (18%) or more simply they dislike Bush (9%). About one in four say they favor Kerry either because of his platforms and policy goals (13%) or because they favor the Democratic Party more generally (11%). A roughly equal proportion cites the specific issues of the war in Iraq and terrorism (13%), and the economy (11%).

John Kerry?

2004 Sep 13-15
Registered Kerry voters

%

Want/need change/get Bush out of office/dissatisfied with Bush

Economic issues

Favor the Democratic Party

Dislike Bush/poor character

Healthcare

Like Kerry/good character

Honesty/integrity/ethics

Jobs/unemployment

Military experience

More favorable of middle class

Education

Tax issues

Doing good job/satisfied with job performance

Abortion

Other

None

All

No opinion

Total
141%

Numbers add to more than 100% due to multiple responses.

* Less than 0.5%

BASED ON 403 REGISTERED VOTERS WHO WOULD VOTE FOR KERRY; ±5 PCT. PTS.

Men and Women Differ in Reasons for Voting for Bush, Kerry

As the following tables illustrate, there are slight differences in the reasons given by men and women who support each of the two candidates.

The main reasons why men are voting for Bush include his leadership qualities (mentioned by 28% of male registered voters), satisfaction with Bush's job performance thus far (25%), and issues relating to Iraq, terrorism, and national security (22%). For women who support Bush, the most important reasons include overall satisfaction with Bush's handling of the presidency (30%), Bush's moral values/religious beliefs (22%), and issues regarding Iraq and terrorism (20%).

There has been some discussion of the fact that Bush may be appealing more to women in this election year because of their concern about national security issues. But the data show that there is little difference in the percentage of women who would vote for Bush and men who would vote for Bush in terms of explaining their vote in reference to terrorism or national security. The largest difference between the genders comes in the "moral values/religious beliefs" category, cited by 22% of women compared with only 10% of men.

George W. Bush?

Registered Voters
2004 Sep 13-15

Men

Women

%
%

Doing a good job/satisfied with job performance

Honesty/integrity/ethics

Like Bush/good character

Abortion issues

Not a good time for change

Economic issues

Dislike Kerry/poor character

Tax issues

Military experience

Dissatisfied with Kerry's job performance

Healthcare

Jobs/unemployment

Education

* Less than 0.5%

Both male and female Kerry supporters appear to be about equally likely to choose Kerry as a vote against Bush. Thirty percent of men say they either want Bush out of the White House (22%) or dislike him (8%). Among women, 29% either want Bush out of office (17%) or dislike him (12%).

Beyond their desire to see Bush voted out of office, men and women show some slight differences in their reasons for supporting Kerry. Men say they are voting for Kerry because of economic issues (18%), issues regarding Iraq and terrorism (14%), Kerry's honesty and integrity (11%), and their preference for Kerry's platforms (10%). Women, meanwhile, say they would vote for Kerry because of his goals and agenda (18%), their preference for the Democratic Party (16%), and issues about the war and terrorism (13%).

The largest two differences between men and women in the reasons they give for their support of Kerry are economic issues (cited by 18% of men and 8% of women) and party loyalty (cited by 5% of men and 16% of women).

John Kerry?

Registered Voters
2004 Sep 13-15

Men

Women

%
%

Want/need change/get Bush out of office/dissatisfied with Bush

Economic issues

Honesty/integrity/ethics

Dislike Bush/poor character

Jobs/unemployment

Healthcare

Like Kerry/good character

Military experience

Favor the Democratic Party

More favorable of middle class

Tax issues

Doing good job/satisfied with job performance

Abortion

Education

* Less than 0.5%

Survey Methods

These results are based on telephone interviews with a randomly selected national sample of 1,022 adults, aged 18 and older, conducted Sept. 13-15, 2004. For results based on this sample, one can say with 95% confidence that the maximum error attributable to sampling and other random effects is ±3 percentage points. In addition to sampling error, question wording and practical difficulties in conducting surveys can introduce error or bias into the findings of public opinion polls.
Link

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#2    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

• "Truth will first be ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident" A. Schopenhauer 1788-1860

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:51 PM

sleeping.gif

...just kidding, Fluffy. I fell asleep on this one...what was the point? dontgetit.gif  wink2.gif

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"

Henry David Thoreau...

#3    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

Thomas Paine

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:59 PM

Let me recap;

Bush supporters  like president's performance, his stance on terrorism, and his leadership qualities.

Kerry supporters want bush out of office.(As I have said; a trained chimp would gather a significant vote as this point as Bush is so disliked by so many people)

The article then goes into breaking down what people liked about each candidate and give a percentage of what each person liked about the candidate.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

#4    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:05 PM

Gallup's ok I guess.  Small sample size.  Interesting numbers tho for sure!

#5    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

• "Truth will first be ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident" A. Schopenhauer 1788-1860

Posted 27 September 2004 - 08:21 PM

I was kidding. grin2.gif

Henry David Thoreau...

#6    panther10758

panther10758

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts

• Any man can become a Father it takes a REAL MAN to be a DAD!

Posted 28 September 2004 - 02:27 AM

Bush is not as disliked as you say otherwise it would not be such c alsoe race at this point. The "dislike" you mention comes from all the Anti Bush spin the Liberal media puts out. Its simple logic if so many disliked bush election would not be predicted to be so close

Edited by panther10758, 28 September 2004 - 02:54 AM.

#7    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

Thomas Paine

Posted 28 September 2004 - 04:30 AM

Panther if you read the gallup poll, 22% of the male kerry supporters did so simply to remove Bush from office(an additional 8% disliked him). That is a significant number considering the circumstances.

That isnt "liberal spin"; that is simply a poll number gathered by the Gallup institute that makes it apparent that Bush does have a significant percentage of people that dislike him enough to vote against him.

#8    Arashi Ravenblade

Arashi Ravenblade

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 246 posts

• You dont really think the rules i make apply to me do you?

Posted 28 September 2004 - 07:09 AM

Polls are complete and utter trash. Unless they called everyone in the united states for there opinion im not going to consider it anything but trash, and since there not going to call everyone then there opinion polls mean nothing to me.

#9    panther10758

panther10758

Psychic Spy

• 1,215 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 02:17 PM

Exactly polls can say whatever the pollster wants them to say. I totally agree polls are trash used by media and/or other groups to help further their own cause. Its funny with all these "polls" I see on Tv or read about everyday in my nearly 46 years on this world I have never been polled!? Yes polls are trash. Using polls numbers to make points is much like calling looking at tarot cards to predict future

#10    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 28 September 2004 - 02:25 PM

*thinks the world would be a very scary place indeed if people like Panther, who didn't care about public opinion polls, where ever to somehow end up in a position of power* huh.gif

"Who cares what the public are saying! I think it's trash, so it doesn't matter!"

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#11    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:48 PM

I think panther is saying the polls 'aren't' the public. Didn't he just say they've never called him? huh.gif

'They' say, polls don't mean anything. It's people going into those voting booths at the last minute that counts. You guys can say all you want about the polls being in Kerry's favor, but it won't mean anything when it comes down to the line_ Bush is going to win. grin2.gif  thumbsup.gif

Henry David Thoreau...

#12    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 28 September 2004 - 03:55 PM

I just don't see how this poll favors Kerry in any way.

#13    panther10758

panther10758

Psychic Spy

• 1,215 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 05:06 PM

Must I spell it out! POLLS MEAN NOTHING. Dont put words in my mouth! Polls are used and miused by BOTH SIDES they tell us nothing!

#14    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 05:21 PM

It's not the polls that count it's the 'poll booth'. thumbsup.gif

Bush is just better for the country and all of you that don't reside in this country have your own agenda for us. Frankly we are not going to listen to other countries. We need to keep our country safe and other countries and peoples should look to their safety. From what I have been reading and as I have thought, you guys aren't prepared for international terrorism. thumbdown.gif

Edited by Babs, 28 September 2004 - 05:22 PM.

Henry David Thoreau...

#15    gollum

gollum

Psychic Spy

• 1,131 posts

• CHE GUEVARA
    "La Revolucion De La Gente Cubana"

Posted 28 September 2004 - 05:46 PM

Bush is just better for the country and all of you that don't reside in this country have your own agenda for us. Frankly we are not going to listen to other countries. We need to keep our country safe and other countries and peoples should look to their safety. From what I have been reading and as I have thought, you guys aren't prepared for international terrorism.

You will probably find, Babs, that not even the good old US of A is as prepared as they need to be for Terrorist attacks.

I'll give you a small example..... Who, right this minute, is guarding and protecting your local drinking water supply?

Another one for good measure.... Who, right this minute, is checking the contents of everyones handbags and backpacks as they enter your local cinema?

And last but not least... Who is searching your public bus service or rail network?

Two hundred pounds? I'm not trying to buy cocaine!

Dougal: Oho, Ted, the Italians know about football, all right. And fashion. God Ted, do you remember that man who was so good at fashion, they had to shoot him?

Come here and play online chess @ Gameknot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users