Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

How do skeptics explain Qi Gong

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#1    jsowersby

jsowersby

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

• "And as he wages his battle, knowing that his will is impeccable, a warrior laughs and laughs." Don Juan Matus

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

There are numerous videos showing people using qi. I myself have learned to use it to heal minor aches and pains. I hear from skeptics that it is not real or hoaxed somehow. The thermal image in this video is undeniable.

Edited by jsowersby, 17 August 2012 - 07:44 PM.

#2    jsowersby

jsowersby

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

• "And as he wages his battle, knowing that his will is impeccable, a warrior laughs and laughs." Don Juan Matus

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

Another video done under more stringent scientific controls.

#3    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

I believe in Chi.

#4    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

The guy from that site Quackwatch,has a separate site,just for acupuncture and other oriental healing techniques.
I sit there reading it,and laughing at it ,while they push stuff like oxycodone and surgery ,while bashing 5000 year old,non invaisive methods,that work .

They can't explain it ,so they just put it down,say it isn't possible,and try to defame it.
This stuff,if the general public really figured it all out,would lose them millions .

Miss me?

#5    jsowersby

jsowersby

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 17 August 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

The guy from that site Quackwatch,has a separate site,just for acupuncture and other oriental healing techniques.
I sit there reading it,and laughing at it ,while they push stuff like oxycodone and surgery ,while bashing 5000 year old,non invaisive methods,that work .

They can't explain it ,so they just put it down,say it isn't possible,and try to defame it.
This stuff,if the general public really figured it all out,would lose them millions .

Very true. Most of the medications pushed by big pharm do not cure anything, they only treat symptoms leaving the root cause intact. Like cutting a weed, it just grows back. Then people who own stock in big pharm companies spread some lies to keep money flowing in from sick people. It's sickening that people are allowed to die in this country so some fat cat make more money.

Edited by jsowersby, 17 August 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#6    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,070 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

View Postjsowersby, on 17 August 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

Very true. Most of the medications pushed by big pharm do not cure anything, they only treat symptoms leaving the root cause intact. Like cutting a weed, it just grows back. Then people who own stock in big pharm companies spread some lies to keep money flowing in from sick people. It's sickening that people are allowed to die in this country so some fat cat make more money.
The encyclopedia of herbal medicine is an awesome resource. I also have studied  chi gong with one of. Ip man's students. It is effective no doubt, as to why ....well couldn't tell you.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#7    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,048 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

View Postjsowersby, on 17 August 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

The education level of some of you people is terrible.

Edit: Please find out about clinical trials and active ingredients before spewing such garbage.

Edited by Rlyeh, 18 August 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#8    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

I'd love to see these Chi demonstrations done under scientific conditions. I saw a doctor in Java light a ball of newspaper with his hand and give people electric shocks directly from his hands.
Problem is that without scientific testing these demonstrations are similar to things we see showmen and magicians in the west do.
the first chap walks on the paper sheets and tells us that he can will himself lighter? I saw david blaine levitate and we don't think it's anything other than fake when he does that? Why didn't they get the old master to stand on some scales and make himself lighter?
The baseball bat and the guys torso was very uninspiring. I've seen Japanese martial artists chop fruit on people full speed without cutting them.
The guy who was the target stepped into the blow to cover the deceleration and 'pull-back' as he pulled the blow.
Would have been much more impressive if they'd said:
"Heres your assistant who you were expecting to hit you.... and here is a random bloke we've just dragged in off the street who'se going to take his place"
Power unknown to western science of clever trick?
Without the proper testing I'm thinking a mixture of training, disciplin, visual trickery and intentional deception.

Edited by Atlantia, 18 August 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#9    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,070 posts

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

View PostAtlantia, on 18 August 2012 - 01:51 PM, said:

I'd love to see these Chi demonstrations done under scientific conditions. I saw a doctor in Java light a ball of newspaper with his hand and give people electric shocks directly from his hands.
Problem is that without scientific testing these demonstrations are similar to things we see showmen and magicians in the west do.
the first chap walks on the paper sheets and tells us that he can will himself lighter? I saw david blaine levitate and we don't think it's anything other than fake when he does that? Why didn't they get the old master to stand on some scales and make himself lighter?
The baseball bat and the guys torso was very uninspiring. I've seen Japanese martial artists chop fruit on people full speed without cutting them.
The guy who was the target stepped into the blow to cover the deceleration and 'pull-back' as he pulled the blow.
Would have been much more impressive if they'd said:
"Heres your assistant who you were expecting to hit you.... and here is a random bloke we've just dragged in off the street who'se going to take his place"
Power unknown to western science of clever trick?
Without the proper testing I'm thinking a mixture of training, disciplin, visual trickery and intentional deception.
I can gurantee you there was no intentional deception. Mabey it wasn't qi that protected him, but his movement into the bat is a response born of training. He believes it to be qi. It's just a label. He indeed is using focused energy at his abdomin to protect himself in several ways. People are just unable to get over the label. What one person calls squeezing your abs and timing an intercept with a blow, another calls qi flow. in addition, the very practice of receiving blows like that builds up calcium in the bones. A life long practitioner will have much denser bones than the average person, because they have spent a lifetime building their qi.

Greater Bone density, timeing to intercept blows, and mental control of pain. Indeed an "iron shirt".

Healing qi gong is similar. It's basically a form of deep tissue massage. Hurts like hell, but squeezing blood flow into injured areas, and also squeezing toxins out through pressure is proven to facilitate healing. Then the pain form the massage releases endorphins so you feel better. And I must admit when sifu asks the next day if the problem is better, if you don't feel like another ordeal, you will not complain. Yes Sifu, all better, Nop see it works just fine thank you sir.... No need for another treatment :) :) :) :)

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#10    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 18 August 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

Edit: Please find out about clinical trials and active ingredients before spewing such garbage.
Just because you chose to believe everything spoon fed to you by companies that make billions off poisons,and lie about test trials and ingredients to protect their money stream,doesn't mean everyone else is that ignorant of what really goes on .
I'm tired of being bashed by people on here ,and being told I know nothing about medicine .
I have two degrees in medicine .One western ,one eastern . I have thirty years experience ,and I actually went out and touched patients.

The people on here who go on about drugs and how they work in the field,all sit behind a desk reading flowcharts on a screen ,and googling studies .
Chose to believe what you want,but we do not need such input on threads like these ,where intelligent conversation is going on .

Miss me?

#11    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,070 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

View PostRlyeh, on 18 August 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

The third or forth leading cause of death is pharmaceuticals Rleh, either by overdose, adverse reaction, side effects, misuse and abuse.... Etc etc.

Not saying there are not good meds out there, but those who hold pharmaceuticals on a pedistool are in lala land. It's the educated people that mistrust, why.. Because they are educated.

Oh wait no it is the leading cause of accidental death now at least in 09
http://news.discover...ars-110920.html

Edited by Seeker79, 18 August 2012 - 03:03 PM.

Bruce Lee-

#12    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,048 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:03 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 18 August 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

Just because you chose to believe everything spoon fed to you by companies that make billions off poisons,and lie about test trials and ingredients to protect their money stream,doesn't mean everyone else is that ignorant of what really goes on .
I'm tired of being bashed by people on here ,and being told I know nothing about medicine .
I have two degrees in medicine .One western ,one eastern . I have thirty years experience ,and I actually went out and touched patients.
Coming from a charlatan who peddles disproven homeopathy, those degrees were wasted on you.

#13    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,048 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 18 August 2012 - 02:56 PM, said:

The third or forth leading cause of death is pharmaceuticals Rleh, either by overdose, adverse reaction, side effects, misuse and abuse.... Etc etc.

Not saying there are not good meds out there, but those who hold pharmaceuticals on a pedistool are in lala land. It's the educated people that mistrust, why.. Because they are educated.

Oh wait no it is the leading cause of accidental death now at least in 09
http://news.discover...ars-110920.html
That's really got nothing to do with some make believe conspiracy.

#14    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,800 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 18 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

Ooops, I thought Qi Gong was a Chinese chappy wearing makeup and earrings who came on the TV telling tubby women how gorgeous they look!

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#15    THE INTERPRETER

THE INTERPRETER

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 18 August 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

The people on here who go on about drugs and how they work in the field,all sit behind a desk reading flowcharts on a screen ,and googling studies .
Chose to believe what you want,but we do not need such input on threads like these ,where intelligent conversation is going on .

Simbi Laveau,

This is very insightful information.

It would be wise of you not to cast your pearls before the ungrateful, concern yourself with those of the Light who are awake.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users