Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

NRA Locked in Gun Battle

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#46    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,655 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 23 August 2012 - 05:47 PM, said:

]
My suspicion is based on the fact that there is no other rational explanation for the NRA squealing against it.

That is good enough for me.
lol i hadly found any explanation of yours rational, lol.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#47    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,826 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:49 PM

View Postaztek, on 23 August 2012 - 05:48 PM, said:

lol i hadly found any explanation of yours rational, lol.

Hey, we know you. OK?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#48    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,283 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

View PostDrayno, on 23 August 2012 - 04:04 AM, said:

It is not paranoia if our founding fathers foresaw the necessity of gun ownership.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

They didn't. notice the first part "A well regulated militia". Which in itself is an anachronism.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#49    Bama13

Bama13

Poltergeist

• 2,893 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:17 PM

View Postninjadude, on 23 August 2012 - 05:50 PM, said:

They didn't. notice the first part "A well regulated militia". Which in itself is an anachronism.

Notice that last part "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"On every question of construction (of the Constitution) let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text, or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed." (Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823, The Complete Jefferson, p. 322)

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"No Free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." (Thomas Jefferson, Proposal Virginia Constitution, 1 T. Jefferson Papers, 334,[C.J.Boyd, Ed., 1950])

"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." (George Mason, 3 Elliot, Debates at 380)

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any bands of regular troops that can be, on any pretense, raised in the United States" (Noah Webster in 'An Examination into the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution', 1787, a pamphlet aimed at swaying Pennsylvania toward ratification, in Paul Ford, ed., Pamphlets on the Constitution of the United States, at 56(New York, 1888))

Can find plenty more.

Edited by Bama13, 23 August 2012 - 07:20 PM.

" Mighty little force is needed to control a man whose mind has been hoodwinked; contrariwise, no amount of force can control a free man, a man whose mind is free. No, not the rack, not fission bombs, not anything —you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him" - Robert Heinlein

#50    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,043 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:42 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 23 August 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

My suspicion is that they know that most of the guns that disappear were neither lost nor stolen but sold under the table.

There is a lot of truth to that. Gun enthusiasts usually have registered firearms and at least one that isn't, because it was inherited and was never registered or whatever. Some people keep unregistered guns in case the government comes and takes away their registered ones. It isn't difficult to get one under the table.

Edited by Michelle, 23 August 2012 - 07:43 PM.

#51    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,826 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

View PostMichelle, on 23 August 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

There is a lot of truth to that. Gun enthusiasts usually have registered firearms and at least one that isn't, because it was inherited and was never registered or whatever. Some people keep unregistered guns in case the government comes and takes away their registered ones. It isn't difficult to get one under the table.

It never was. I don't know if you remember the time when it was near impossible to get a gun in New York City, well everybody just took the Ferry to Jersey and the next gun shop was within a block from the landing as I recall (maybe it is still there).

We have to give up our illusions and be aware that those things are made for just one purpose: inflict bodily harm. Those things are not supposed to be in the hands of school children (buyers for "disappeared guns"), the mentally unstable (buyers for "disappeared guns"),  repeat felons (buyer for "disappeared guns") or criminals.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#52    rashore

rashore

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,276 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:16 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 23 August 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

It never was. I don't know if you remember the time when it was near impossible to get a gun in New York City, well everybody just took the Ferry to Jersey and the next gun shop was within a block from the landing as I recall (maybe it is still there).

Nothing to do with guns.. But that sounds exactly like fireworks in part of the Midwest. There are fireworks warehouses that are open year round just across the border into WI and IN, but you won't usually find those in IL or MI- they do get seasonal tents of fireworks though. People just jump the border to get the more serious firework action they want, any time they want. I know Chicago folk that hit the WI and IN sellers on their way to their vaca homes in WI and MI and then light them off on a regular basis.

Your ad hominem connotes your sciolism. Now that is some funny commentary.

#53    Myles

Myles

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,533 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:27 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 23 August 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

We have to give up our illusions and be aware that those things are made for just one purpose: inflict bodily harm. Those things are not supposed to be in the hands of school children (buyers for "disappeared guns"), the mentally unstable (buyers for "disappeared guns"),  repeat felons (buyer for "disappeared guns") or criminals.

Or to deter bodily harm.

#54    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 18,043 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

View PostMyles, on 23 August 2012 - 08:27 PM, said:

Or to deter bodily harm.

As in my case.

#55    Myles

Myles

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,533 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:59 PM

View PostMichelle, on 23 August 2012 - 08:37 PM, said:

As in my case.
I guess that scraps his whole "only one purpose" arguement.

#56    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,826 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

View PostMyles, on 23 August 2012 - 08:59 PM, said:

I guess that scraps his whole "only one purpose" arguement.

so you think that the deterrent of a gun is not caused by the fact that it was built to inflict bodily harm? Why don't you try a feather then?

about me

#57    Myles

Myles

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,533 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 23 August 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

so you think that the deterrent of a gun is not caused by the fact that it was built to inflict bodily harm? Why don't you try a feather then?

You are mixing words.    You said the only purpose of a gun is to inflict bodily harm.
The purpose many use them for is a deterent or for target shooting.

#58    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,826 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:10 PM

View PostMyles, on 23 August 2012 - 09:03 PM, said:

You are mixing words. You said the only purpose of a gun is to inflict bodily harm.
The purpose many use them for is a deterent or for target shooting.

I said they are made to inflict bodily harm, please be so kind to quote correctly.

about me

#59    Myles

Myles

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,533 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 23 August 2012 - 09:10 PM, said:

I said they are made to inflict bodily harm, please be so kind to quote correctly.

You also said - "object that is designed for the unique purpose of inflicting bodily harm".
I think I quoted you more correct than you are trying to show.   I left the word unique out because I didn't undewrstand what you meant.  There are many weapons designed to inflict bodily harm, so unique doesn't fit.

#60    aztek

aztek

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,655 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:50 PM

View PostMichelle, on 23 August 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

There is a lot of truth to that.
none actually.

RESIDENT TROLL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users