Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mystery surrounds smashed Stone Age skulls

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,483 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 19 August 2012 - 09:56 AM

Collections of skulls separated from their skeletons have been proving a puzzle to archaeologists.

New Scientist said:

An unusual cluster of Stone Age skulls with smashed-in faces has been found carefully separated from the rest of their skeletons. They appear to have been dug up several years after being buried with their bodies, separated, then reburied.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    pallidin

pallidin

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,913 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

Not sure what to mke of it. Interesting article though.

#3    Golly Buster

Golly Buster

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

Ibañez reckons Stone Age people believed they would receive some benefit - perhaps the strength of the young men the skulls once belonged to - by burying them near or beneath their settlements. Why the faces were smashed in invites speculation.

It may have been an act of spite or revenge, says Ibañez. Or the skulls may have been brought together to create a "community of the dead", perhaps in order to spiritually interact with the living.
"The post-mortem violence suggests young men were seen as carrying a particular threat," says Stuart Campbell at the University of Manchester, UK. Destroying their facial structures may have been a way of destroying the individuals' identities, he says.

Reading this article I had a sudden intuitive flash that the faces were destroyed by the living in an effort to prevent something in particular in the afterlife from recognizing that they were young men because that something would then recruit them as an army and turn them against the living.

I don't claim any psychic abilities, but for what it's worth I had this feeling anyway.

#4    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:05 PM

Interesting they could of also been the remains of a defeated army as some cultures believed if you seperate the head they can't go to heaven hence cut the head of and smash the face in so they can't talk or see. ? :tu:

#5    Harlequin Dreamer

Harlequin Dreamer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

• Dear Optimist,Pessimist,and Realist, While you guys are busy arguing about a glass of water, I drank it. Sincerely the Opportunist.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:47 AM

Hhhmmmmm  :unsure2:

#6    Doctor manhattan

Doctor manhattan

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 147 posts

• What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books.
    -sigmund frued

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:11 AM

ancient serial killer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users