Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Curious incident of a dead giraffe

giraffe mourn animals

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,298 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 21 August 2012 - 03:50 PM

A curious incident of a deceased giraffe has reopened the question of whether animals mourn their dead.

Zoologists have witnessed a giraffe mother investigating and refusing to leave the body of her dead calf, the third such incident on record.

Other social animals such as elephants and chimpanzees are known to investigate their dead, especially the bodies of their close relatives.

Such behaviour raises the prospect that animals have a "mental model" of death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/19317067

Posted Image

#2    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,122 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

It's pretty arrogant of us humans to think that we are the only living creatures on this planet with actual feelings.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#3    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

Haven't they seen all the videos of cats and dogs,refusing to leave a mate's side. There were the two dogs in fukushima,where one woildnt leave his injured mates side ,and it sparked a movement to go in and save them .Sadly they separated them after rescue .
But this is documented so many times ,so many species.
Elephants rear and trumpet ,if you put elephant bones in front of them .Just bones...and they know

Miss me?

#4    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,666 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

Good story Still Waters. This reaction of the giraffe is, as they mentioned, usual with elephants and dolphins for example. I am pretty sure they have a concept of death and grief in them. The hardest part is for humans to take that in to consideration, because if we did we would have a hard time treating animals the way we do.

On a more humorous note. This giraffe has a hard time coming to grips with his impending doom.
Here is the Five Stages of Grieffrom a giraffes point of view. :D

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#5    Mnemonix

Mnemonix

Alien Abducter

• Closed
  • 4,720 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

Very interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users