Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

[Merged] Neil Armstrong has died

neil armstrong

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61    Sun Raven

Sun Raven

Alpha & Omega

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

• I am the master of my fate.
    I am the captain of my soul

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

Rest in Peace Neil.

You will live in our memory, forever.

Posted Image

Sun Raven

#62    Legaia

Legaia

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

• "I have grown quite fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."

-Sir Winston Churchill

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:10 AM

What's amazing is no matter how far the human race goes - whether populating the cosmos or dying out here on earth in a few thousand years - his name will never be forgotten.

RIP Mr. Armstrong - a hero to humanity.

#63    Melo -

Melo -

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 76 posts

• ...more dangerous than any weapon is a face of evil, with a mask of good intention.

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

truely....truely...a magnificent person of a calibur that brought inspirations unto generations... -Me

#64    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,390 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

Private Neil Armstrong service planned for Friday

http://www.businessw...nned-for-friday

Posted Image

#65    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,259 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:17 PM

RIP Neil

My son, my wife and I were talking about his achievements just on the weekend. I guess everyone has a time to leave, but it always seems premature.

One man that will never be forgotten. Thanks Mr Armstrong for enriching our lives.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#66    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:40 AM

Neil Armstrong

Icon, Hero, and a truly great man.

Neil Armstrong has passed, of course.  It is an event he would probably find uninspiring in and of itself, if he could look at it from the human perspective.  After all, everyone dies.  Neil, me,  you...sometime, somewhere.  Takes no skill, or effort.

And Neil Armstrong has always been known as the first man to set foot upon the Moon, and I know he found that less inspiring, and much less an accomplishment, as the piloting that took him, at the helm of Eagle, to the surface of the Moon earlier on July 20, 1969.

I can tell you that Mr. Armstrong was, before anything else, a pilot, and one of the best there ever was.

From the time he first soloed back around 1945 , through his 78 combat missions in Korea, to his career at Dryden , where he flew 200 aircraft as a research pilot, including X-15 flights, numbering 7 and reaching an altitude of 207, 000 feet (over 39 statute miles), and a speed of 4000 MPH (mach 5+ ...the man was all pilot.  It's all he ever wanted to be

Posted Image

Neil had already completed his B.S. in Aeronautical Engineering and would obtain an M.S.  in Aeronautical Engineering in 1962, after his daughter Karen passed away from a brain stem tumor.

God love Neil, and Janet, and little Karen, January 28, 1962.

Neil was selected as an astronaut in the 1962 group.  

And we watched this man, 4 years later, command his Gemini flight, GT-8.

His performance as CDR on Gemini-8 in spring, 1966 showed Armstrong's mettle, as he coolly settled the first emergency in U.S. manned spaceflight, and executed a perfect emergency re-entry and landing.
Posted Image

Then he was assigned as CDR of Apollo 11, which of course became the first landing mission to the Moon, which his piloting skills produced the first landing of human beings on another celestial body.  

In all of that accomplishment, still--his most memorable accomplishment was that landing on the Moon at 16:17 EDT.  A pilot's moment of glory, and he, among all men, deserved that moment.

Posted Image

But all these major accomplishments are not what made Neil Armstrong a great man.

It's what happened after Apollo 11.  After the un-wanted fame, the August 13 trip across this country, where millions saw he and his crew in one day, in New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles, the Speeches before Congress, the world tour and after the Government job, and after the University professorship.

It was his deportment, his class,. his continued professionalism, his genuine humility, and his definitive eloquence...which is all that anyone's been able to see in Neil Armstrong since 1969.  All those things, consistent, repeated, and inspirational, are the things that made him great, from their first appearance in the post-Apollo years, until 8-25-12, when he passed from our presence.

It is difficult to describe the loss of such a great man.  None such as he have been known to me.

And every time I've heard the man speak, his honesty, his knowledge and his passion about flight, and especially about inspiring the younger generations into the study of sciences, mathematics, and aviation, it's been one of those moments you never want to forget.

There's only one way to get the jist of this man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gnml0p8kG8

Listen to him, here, at the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11, in the Smithsonian Institution.  One of the greatest addresses he ever gave, and I wasn't without a tear watching him do it.  This is Neil Armstrong, as he really was...listen to it all:

"Apollo was a good thing to do"  God I'll never forget it.

That's all that needs be said about this exceptional, remarkable human being.

And that says it all about Neil.  His passion, his emotion (something not seen very often), his knolwedge, his eloquence, and his humility, and grace...

When we bury him, we will bury one of the best that ever graced humanity, and I already miss him terribly.  This is, to me, truly a loss on the greatest scale.

But, I will, as I have for 43 years, look at that Moon in the sky, and I'll think about that guy who landed there first, and what it meant to me, and all those guys who made it happen in the MOCR on a hot, summer day in 1969. And I will smile, and I will wink. Not to say that I won't have a tear or two(because I know I will, as I already have...), but I'll smile when I wink at Neil, who's out there somewhere.

And to his wife Carol, to Janet, to his good friend, and the man who honored him many times, Gene Cernan, his Apollo 11 crew mates, and to Dave Scott. who still lives today because of Neil. to you all, and his children, and everyone in the Armstrong clan,  I express my condolences at the loss of a friend, a Husband, a Father, and simply a great human being.  One of the finest men to have walked this planet's surface.

May he come back one day, and inspire millions, as he did during his tenure on Earth!

God bless you Neil Armstrong.  

I miss you terribly.

:tu: :tu: :tu:  

#67    MISHA-lee

MISHA-lee

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

• it's the people who don't believe in aliens are crazy

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:00 AM

RIP Neil.Neil was a true American he is my hero

#68    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

• ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:11 AM

View PostMISHA-lee, on 28 August 2012 - 01:00 AM, said:

RIP Neil.Neil was a true American he is my hero

Thank you MISHA-lee!
I assure you, you are not alone!

:tu:

#69    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,486 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:34 AM

As I was doing my washing up something in the corner of my eye attracted my attention, it was the moon. As has happened so many times since I was 3 years old and men called Neil and Buzz walked on that alien world, there was a momentary feeling of wonder. Human beings have walked there. What an achievement.

That we can no longer look at that remote satellite in the same way is probably the greatest monument not just to Neil Armstrong but to all the brave astronauts that flew the Apollo mission, to the scientists and engineers that designed and built the craft that got them there. To those at Kennedy and Houston that kept them safe and to the workers that manufactured the countless tens of thousands of components which the astronauts relied on.

The enduring legacy of Neil Armstrong's "one small step" is that we will never look at the moon in the same way. When we say "reach for the moon", we are no longer saying "reach for the impossible".

The moon represents what man can achieve, what science and engineering can achieve. It represents a potential future for mankind where we are no longer restricted to one small planet, but live amongst the stars. When we look back at this tiny world there will be two names written large in the history books, Yuri Gagarin, the first man to look down on this planet from space, and Neil Armstrong, the first man to step onto another world.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#70    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:43 AM

Bravo, Waspie!

:yes: :nw: :yes: :tsu:

#71    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 05:05 AM

Armstrong was the right stuff, and he had to land on the moon himself without help from the computer, while their fuel was almost gone.  

#72    MID

MID

Forum Divinity

• 14,490 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:45 AM

View PostTheMacGuffin, on 29 August 2012 - 05:05 AM, said:

Armstrong was the right stuff, and he had to land on the moon himself without help from the computer, while their fuel was almost gone.  

yES, MacG.  Some of us were there, and remember.

This is a youtube video, right?

#73    Czero 101

Czero 101

Earthshattering Kaboom

• 5,130 posts

• We are all made of thermonuclear waste material

Posted 30 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

Former astronauts Gene Cernan and Alan Bean remember friend Neil Armstrong

Click to watch the video from Houston, TX ABC affiliate KTRK-TV

Cz

"Thinking is critical, because sense is not common..." - GreaterSapien
"Enquiring and doubting the "official story" are also good things .... However when these doubts require you to ignore the evidence, to dishonestly cherry pick evidence and claim it supports your case when it doesn't, when you operate a double standard; demanding proof of that which is already proven whilst making unsupported statements and personal opinions to back your own case and when you deny the truth simply because it IS the official story then you are no longer acting in a rational way. This is not the behaviour of a "different thinker", this is the behaviour of a "believer" who chooses not to rationally think about the evidence at all." - Waspie Dwarf

#74    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 10,898 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:22 AM

Armstrong's family and friends eulogize him.
http://news.yahoo.co...-news-tech.html

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#75    Doctor manhattan

Doctor manhattan

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 147 posts

• What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books.
    -sigmund frued

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:29 AM

R.I.P. neil armstrong, your in all our hearts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users