Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

[Merged x 2 ] Lion on Loose in Essex

big cats essex lion escaped zoo

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#76    Night Walker

Night Walker

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

• We're all storytellers. We all live in a network of stories. There isn't a stronger connection between people than storytelling.

J.M. Smith

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:33 PM

View PostStill Waters, on 29 August 2012 - 12:15 PM, said:

I've just found this, it's an interesting read imo

The Essex lion farce

http://blogs.kentonl...lion-farce.aspx

"Of course, despite this farcical affair, it doesn't explain the fact as to why for the last two-hundred or so years, peope have reported seeing large black cats, and slightly smaller puma-like cats around Ongar Marshes, Epping Forest, Brentwood etc. It also doesn't explain that in the last week I've received 11 reports of black leopard from various parts of Kent and Sussex and none of these were investigated by police helicopters."

Perhaps folk have been claiming to see large predatory cats for the the last 200 years CAN be explained - they were all mistaken just like the people in this current example.

Posted Image
source

Misidentifications and hysteria do occur - perhaps we should be seeking to understand why and under what circumstances they occur? Perhaps we can actually learn something from this case rather than dismiss it as nonsense...

Posted Image Yes! Canada's most fearsome predator. The Kodiak Marmoset – it's the world's largest smallest primate. "My God! He's killing us..."

The Yowie-ocalypse is upon us...

#77    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Aqualish Dude

• 5,811 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:02 PM

View PostNight Walker, on 31 August 2012 - 10:33 PM, said:

"Of course, despite this farcical affair, it doesn't explain the fact as to why for the last two-hundred or so years, peope have reported seeing large black cats, and slightly smaller puma-like cats around Ongar Marshes, Epping Forest, Brentwood etc. It also doesn't explain that in the last week I've received 11 reports of black leopard from various parts of Kent and Sussex and none of these were investigated by police helicopters."

Perhaps folk have been claiming to see large predatory cats for the the last 200 years CAN be explained - they were all mistaken just like the people in this current example.

Posted Image
source

Misidentifications and hysteria do occur - perhaps we should be seeking to understand why and under what circumstances they occur? Perhaps we can actually learn something from this case rather than dismiss it as nonsense...

Lol, shu up, ya lion!

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

#78    Q-C

Q-C

BugWhisperer

• 5,533 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:02 AM

If feral cats become larger after just a few generations, large feral cats would have been spotted and easily documented all over the world for generations.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 01 September 2012 - 01:03 AM.

Bigfoot is in the eye of the beholder

Scottish Scientists Only!

#79    Eihpospiritamer

Eihpospiritamer

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Location:Your worst nightmares and your wildest dreams... 0.o

• She has me like a pices when I am weak. I've been locked inside your heart shaped box for weeks.

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

This is near my area and it was in the news that the police launched a £25,000 2 day search for the beast, and it turned out to be a large ginger pet cat called Tom.

So, it's nothing.

#80    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,180 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 01 September 2012 - 01:02 AM, said:

If feral cats become larger after just a few generations, large feral cats would have been spotted and easily documented all over the world for generations.

View PostAbramelin, on 30 August 2012 - 02:29 AM, said:

Cats going feral and growing to four feet long? All because there's a gap for a large predator? So I suppose we now have foxes which are eight feet long with six inch canine teeth and rats as big as dogs.

The Scottish Wild Cat, by it's very name and nature, is "feral" and is similar to the breed domestic cats are descended from. That being the case, and the fact that they have literally thousands of square miles of countryside over which to range and hunt with no larger predators, for at least two centuries, as competition, why have they remained their original size? By now they should be the size of tigers and terrifying the whole of the Highlands.

#81    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,180 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:48 PM

Sorry QC, I am a bit 'off' right now.

I didn;t see the IF at the start of your post, lol.

#82    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 26 August 2012 - 10:00 PM, said:

I hope this doesn't end badly

Usually cases like this they do end up killing the animal because tranquilizers take to long to take effect so they usually just have to put the animal down.  Also if it is actually a lion I couldnt see them wanting to take any chances on it attacking someone.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#83    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 6,149 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

I heard the Essex lion was found in the back of someone's wardrobe. When they asked what it was doing, it replied: "Narnia business!"

No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness. ~ Aristotle

Also tagged with big cats, essex, lion, escaped, zoo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users