Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

one small step for *man*, or *a man*?

armstrongs first words from the moon one small step

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

Mystery of Neil Armstrong's missing 'a'

Neil Armstrong's first words from the moon were heard all over Earth, and Earth heard this: "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

But Armstrong said immediately after the 1969 landing that he had been misquoted. He said he actually said, "That's one small step for 'a' man." It's just that people just did not hear it. Read more

#2    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,605 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

Either way, that is one of the most profoundly timed quotes ever. Whether it was 'a' man or not, this quote will live forever in history. :tu:

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#3    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 17,761 posts

• I count him braver who overcomes his desires than him who conquers his enemies for the hardest victory is over SELF.
    Aristotle

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

If he says he said it that's good enough for me.  When I first became aware of this story I was amused that the person at the very front of this most gargantuan endeavor known to man, would make such a very human mistake that would come to be part of the legacy of that moment.  So fitting.....

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#4    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 4,165 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

I'm not sure in human history there was ever a man under as much attention as he was, at that moment. Before or since. If he made a minor fluff, what does it matter ?

#5    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

Columbus thought he was in India and gets a holiday....where's the justice in this world?

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#6    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:25 AM

He said it, he should know

#7    First-time Human

First-time Human

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

• It's good to know I'm here for me

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

Interesting how one singular word can make such a difference..  
If we say it was (the usually accepted) *man* and *mankind*, it's basically saying the same thing. i.e., *man* & *mankind* can both be taken to be referring to humans as a species.
When thought of as *a man* and *mankind*, it makes much more sense...  *a man* suddenly becomes an individual person..
"One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" makes much more sense when considering the enormity of the event.
For me it will always be *a man*

Or am I overthinking this too much?

Edited by First-time Human, 28 August 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#8    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

View PostFirst-time Human, on 28 August 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:

Interesting how one singular word can make such a difference..  
If we say it was (the usually accepted) *man* and *mankind*, it's basically saying the same thing. i.e., *man* & *mankind* can both be taken to be referring to humans as a species.
When thought of as *a man* and *mankind*, it makes much more sense...  *a man* suddenly becomes an individual person..
"One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" makes much more sense when considering the enormity of the event.
For me it will always be *a man*

Or am I overthinking this too much?
As you write, "One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" makes much more sense; and that has been accepted as what Neil Armstrong actually did say. :tu:

#9    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:46 PM

It's a quote I believe most, if not all people in the civilized world have heard.

#10    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostKing Fluffs, on 28 August 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

It's a quote I believe most, if not all people in the civilized world have heard.
Hi King Fluffs -- the quote the world knows is: "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

What Armstrong actually said included the indefinite article, "a", thus what Armstrong actually said was:
"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind."

Nit-picking? Maybe. B) Below is an axcerpt from the article in the OP

Was the walk on the moon one small step for man, or a man?

Neil Armstrong's first words from the moon were heard all over Earth, and Earth heard this: "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

But Armstrong said immediately after the 1969 landing that he had been misquoted. He said he actually said, "That's one small step for 'a' man." It's just that people just did not hear it.

The astronaut acknowledged during a 30th anniversary gathering in 1999 that he did not hear himself say it either when he listened to the transmission from the July 20, 1969, moon landing.

"The 'a' was intended," Armstrong said. "I thought I said it. I can't hear it when I listen on the radio reception here on Earth, so I'll be happy if you just put it in parentheses."

Although no one in the world heard the "a", some research backs Armstrong.

In 2006, a computer analysis found evidence that Armstrong said what he said he said.

#11    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 7,568 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

The broadcast was a bit staticy (if that's a word) and it seems to have either lost signal strength for a fractional instant right at that moment, or the microphone just didn't pick up the 'a' at the same level as the rest of the statement...

'a man' does make more sense - though I always thought that what 'man' could have meant was 'man' as in the species, and 'mankind' as in civilization... (at least thats what I thought at the time)...

#12    27vet

27vet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

• Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:15 PM

I remember listening to it on the radio, as there was no TV in S.A. in those days. I always wondered what he meant and it only became apparent years later when the debate started.

#13    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 2,765 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:48 AM

To me it's not important what he said. The great feat of landing on the moon and returning to tell about it is the big picture. God Bless Neil Armstrong.

#14    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 8,283 posts

• I'd rather laugh than argue.

Choose your weapon.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:43 AM

"That's one small step..."

Was the greatest understatement in history from the world's most modest hero.

They don't make them like that anymore. *edit: add Buzz Aldrin and Mike Collins*

Unless today, there exists a super energetic youngster, with all the smarts and energy that will take humankind to Mars in a few generations. That will be another "...giant leap, for all mankind".

Edited by Likely Guy, 29 August 2012 - 05:02 AM.

#15    Walter White

Walter White

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

• "He will regret it but once, and that will be continuously." - J.E.B. Stuart

Posted 29 August 2012 - 11:07 PM

View Postand then, on 27 August 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

If he says he said it that's good enough for me.
Agreed.

If Neil Armstrong claims he said "One small step for a man", then as far as I'm concerned he said it.

"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union.  It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for it's preservation." - General Robert E. Lee

"I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers." - Major General William Tecumseh Sherman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users