Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you have a Personality Disorder?

Bling

For those of you unfamiliar with Personality Disorders I can recommend this article from the NHS website: http://www.nhs.uk/co...Definition.aspx

Is anyone brave enough to admit they have been officially diagnosed with a Personality Disorder (PD)? The reason I say 'brave enough' is because there is alot of stigma attached to the diagnosis of PD.

yes i do but it's mild i've been able to better myself over the years.

Better yourself? So didn't you have any assistance from the medical profession? You don't have to tell of course! Thanks for sharing BTW :tsu:

I don't have one yet but I'm working on it.

• Like 8

Better yourself? So didn't you have any assistance from the medical profession? You don't have to tell of course! Thanks for sharing BTW :tsu:

No i dont like therapists and i dont take medication lol, ive had anger issues for the better part of my life and when i say anger i mean rage, as well as abusing drugs and alcohol, unstable relationships all that fun stuff. My boxing coach as well as the sport itself has been able to calm me over the years its been alot easier to control my emotions, my anger and depression to be more specific and in healthier ways too. I no longer blow up on people for little things and i no longer spend days in bed brooding and sad. theres still some days where its hard i doubt i'll ever be able to be completely "normal" but i dont stress myself out trying to be anymore.

everything else i did on my own and it will always be a bit of a battle but i'd rather the bit of a battle than what i was before then.

• Like 2

No i dont like therapists and i dont take medication lol, ive had anger issues for the better part of my life and when i say anger i mean rage, as well as abusing drugs and alcohol, unstable relationships all that fun stuff. My boxing coach as well as the sport itself has been able to calm me over the years its been alot easier to control my emotions, my anger and depression to be more specific and in healthier ways too. I no longer blow up on people for little things and i no longer spend days in bed brooding and sad. theres still some days where its hard i doubt i'll ever be able to be completely "normal" but i dont stress myself out trying to be anymore.

everything else i did on my own and it will always be a bit of a battle but i'd rather the bit of a battle than what i was before then.

Have you been officially diagnosed as was my original question? I have known alot of people self diagnosing which is problematic when you are dealing with Personality Disorders....due to the very nature of Personality Disorders!

oh well then yes i have i thought you meant have i gone to get help for it lol *blushes* silly me

• Like 1

Iron Lotus I meant both - have you been officially and diagnosed and have you had help for it. So you've answered both thanks!

It's an interesting topic but a little reminder to those who share that it's just with your closest million friends and authorities :)

• Like 1

It's an interesting topic but a little reminder to those who share that it's just with your closest million friends and authorities :)

So what's wrong with that? Don't you think the stigma and misunderstanding attached to it should be addressed? That won't be done if everyone with a PD hides away in shame and fear. No one has to own up, but for those that do, I don't think reminding them that their friends and authorities would be entitled to an opinion whether positive or negative is helpful.

• Like 2

Yes, I have *holds hand up*

I read your link and just about everything applies to me in some degree, lol! Seriously though, I have been diagnosed with clinical depression. I have severe social anxiety problems(I very rarely go out), I struggle with any sort of relationship(emotionally detached) etc etc.

I have been on anti-depressants in the past(for years), I have had therapy and homeopathy.

W T F how dare you ask you ba@#ted actualy I do think your very nice F&^k off who said that, how did I end up here oh god the voices the voices. :w00t:

• Like 5

Is major depression, PTSD and anxiety a personality disorder?

Well, my disorder isn't so much "personality", rather a "life" disorder.

• Like 2

Haven't been brave enough to find out.,. Self diagnosed, Depression and slightly manic at times, paranoia of which is self inflicted and can see it coming before it sets in!

The older I get the more I recognize the symptoms.

I've very recently had to put my foot down with my kids, behavior, respect and homework. Consistency and routine are key to staying some what sane!

What I can say Is that on occasion I don't like where my mind takes me when under distress, bad dreams take 1/2 a day to get over coz I analyze the crappers out of them.

The thoughts are a kettle of fish All on there own.,. My fear that some one or something could hurt my babies makes my blood boil and from that point I have to convince myself.,. "No your not a serial killer" just a mum with issues!

I used to be so nieve now I don't trust anyone or anything I know where this stems from and this it's just a survival instinct now.

I'll help a fallen human on the street but have learnt the world is cruel and now It's about Me and my own. It really does not matter what people think.

I still feel bad about not giving a homeless guy my umbrella at the markets on the weekend, he was so weathered and sitting right on the corner of a traffic intersection. :(

Edited by xCrimsonx

I'm sure theirs something wrong with me. I think its genetic. My mother and father are both pretty mentally unstable. Same for my grandma. And pretty much everyone in my gene pool.

My father's side of the family are just normal people with anger issues. My mothers side of the family is just batshit crazy. They have the legitimate ability to change their memory so what they think happened actually happen in there head. At first I thought they just lied alot. Then I realized they were insane.

I think its narcissistic personality disorder. But due to exposure of such selfish and egocentric people over my life time I became really really self sufficient. To the point of schizotypal tendacies.

Edited by Kazoo
  • Like 1

i have symptoms of just about everything on that list, but not all the symptoms of any one disorder. they're all mix and match. and no, i have never been diagnosed but i did have therapy once or "counseling" as they called it. i believe it's the same thing.

Edited by Xanthurion2

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome, which is a life long condition

Along with Depression and anxiety (they generally go hand in hand with Aspergers Syndrome)

I also suffer with insomnia (which is why I am up at 4 am typing this)

No I dont have any medication or have any help with any of it

More info on it

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Autistic-spectrum-disorder/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Edited by Jackofalltrades

Thanks for you honesty and replies *hugs* The reason I started this thread really was to ascertain who has actually been officially diagnosed with a PD as it's often something people will read about and self diagnose, which is not good for anyone. It belittles those who genuinely have a PD by making it out to be something more common than it is. Often people who have a PD won't get help because of the stigma and attitude of 'Oh I've got that it's no big deal' and 'I've cured myself get over it' from people who haven't got a clue and can't be bothered to research it. It's actually a very specialized mental disorder. That said, people with PD's do have alot of co-morbid conditions such as PTSD, depression, anxiety, addictions and phobias etc and are often not diagnosed properly because the doctor they see about these things - usually a General Practitioner, is not trained fully in that field of expertise as they are 'jack of all trades' ( I mean no disrespect!). It takes a Psychiatrist to be able to officially diagnose such a complex condition, and sadly alot of people get overlooked and don't receive the treatment they deserve. The article I enclosed on my original first post here is very good at explaining more about PD's.

• Like 1

I should add that I have been diagnosed with 'Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder' which is the european definition of 'Borderline Personality Disorder'. Feel free to ask me any questions about it as I'm coping really well with life now and can be open about it.

• Like 1

I have a serious PD... I'm cheerful, optimistic and a 'nice guy' (according to my various ex girlfirends)...

I don't hold out much hope for a cure, though I am happily optimistic that I can get help before I do something nice for someone...

• Like 2

I'm figuring that pretty much everyone has some. It's what makes us separate, unique, individuals which I'm pretty sure has a whole lot to do with "why we are here."

I'm figuring that pretty much everyone has some. It's what makes us separate, unique, individuals which I'm pretty sure has a whole lot to do with "why we are here."

You really need to read the article I posted :) We all have a personality but not everyone has a disordered one.

• Like 2