Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Theoretical Teleportation Question

teleportation theoretical physics portals question thoughts

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    JamesCoomes

JamesCoomes

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:49 PM

So heres my question, I overheard a conversation about a video game called Portal I never play video games so I am pretty much out of the loop when it comes to new games that have came out. Anyways the question is if you had two "Portals" directly above one another and say you had a friend who jumped into one of the portals and started gaining up speed because you just keep falling through the portals, after a few seconds of him in the portal going very fast you change one of the portals and put it directly into lets say an ocean not on top of the water but instead be directly teleported into the water would he slow down due to the resistance of the water or would it be like hitting a brick wall going as fast as your friend was going?

Just what I like to think about on my free time. I would love to hear some thoughts.

#2    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,028 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:19 AM

If he were falling through air, he'd sooner or later hit terminal velocity, so he'd pass from air straight 'into' water but since he'd enter the portal like he was entering the water, it'd be like hitting a brick wall.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#3    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Enlightened

• 3,932 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:20 AM

Welcome to UM JamesCoomes. :)

I think you do have too much free time.

I don't really think you would speed up, I would guess every time you exited the portal you would start from a static position (you are teleported, not your velocity) and drop from there, so there is no momentum to move you through the  water. I guess the game does not work like this though, more like just falling through a horizontal doorway, therefore splat!

Looks like I've got to much free time too...

Edited by Junior Chubb, 29 August 2012 - 12:21 AM.

Click here to view Unexplained Mysteries 5 Millionth post by Helen of Annoy, while you're there lets see if we can give it 5 Million likes (sorry Biff).

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,088 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:14 AM

Welcome to UM.  I think you will fit right in here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users