Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Anger over Australian supermarket 'no Indians

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

An Australian supermarket's cleaning firm has sparked outrage by posting an advert for staff that stipulated: "No Indians or Asians please."
The advert, posted on the Gumtree website, appealed for cleaners at a Coles supermarket in Hobart.
The authorities say they are investigating for race discrimination.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-19404379

#2    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 6,605 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

They have likely broken the law and definitely lost their contract with Coles who would have moved to dissassociate themselves with this immediately.  Like most firms, they would advertise themselves as an "equal opportunity employer".

Way to trash your cleaning business :whistle:

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#3    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,374 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

Meh.. nobody complains when the Ads say "No Cowboys!".  :(

#4    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 12,994 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

Could it be they weren't being racist, but were trying to encourage Australian citizens to apply?  Not that I'm trying to excuse thier poor taste but it may have been a case of nationalism rather than racism.

#5    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

Whoever's in charge of the advertising will have a lot of explaining to do haha.

I'm not agreeing with the topic but a lot of Asian and Italian building companies openly say they don't hire Australians, and no one kicks up a fuss.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#6    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

regardless of how anyone else feels about it, the company should have the right to hire who they want. if they lose a contract because of their hiring policies then thats their problem.

#7    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• 1,353 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

The authorities say they are investigating for race discrimination.
political correctness is assuring you, a turd can be picked up by the clean end.

are these the same authorities that shipped off all our jobs and industries to those parts of the world... because they work for peanuts?

you can't have things both ways..

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#8    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,031 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:28 AM

It has nothing to with racism, it has to do with personal experience and bias. One fellow got in quite some trouble only a few months back when he went looking for Bricklayers and advertised  "no Irish" He had a string of Irish men whom he hired as bricklayers he found unsatisfactory, what his ignorance hides from him is that is not the country that is the problem, it is the individual. He would have made more headway if hed contacted a HR professional and sought instruction with his interview practises. I would say that fellow let himself down, and I think it might be the same case here. A persons own ignorance leads them to ignore those around him. I could see this being a similar situation.

Like he can talk anyways, he is from Tassie! Land of the Two Heads LOL (In-joke in Oz, no offence intended)

LINK - Perth bricklayer under fire over Gumtree ban on Irish workers

Edited by psyche101, 06 September 2012 - 05:40 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#9    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:35 AM

I recall a message board outside a supermarket owned by Indians not far from me, offering rooms to let......."must be Punjabi ". :o  I'm sure if it said "must be WASP" it would have made the six o'clock news. That message was there for weeks. I am sure the explanation would have started with "we are not racists, but...."

Edited by Habitat, 06 September 2012 - 05:38 AM.

#10    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,374 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostHabitat, on 06 September 2012 - 05:35 AM, said:

I recall a message board outside a supermarket owned by Indians not far from me, offering rooms to let......."must be Punjabi ". :o  I'm sure if it said "must be WASP" it would have made the six o'clock news. That message was there for weeks. I am sure the explanation would have started with "we are not racists, but...."

I laugh at the same sort of things on a weekly basis.  We have *Indian and *Pakistani folk in our community who'd make the KKK feel guilty for maybe going a wee bit too far.

*Born in Scotland but only "Scottish" when they feel like it.

#11    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• 1,353 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

Psyche.. i think you just revived my faith in humanity?

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#12    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:39 PM

View PostOverSword, on 29 August 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

Could it be they weren't being racist, but were trying to encourage Australian citizens to apply?  Not that I'm trying to excuse thier poor taste but it may have been a case of nationalism rather than racism.
ya i guess but if you live somewhere (legally of course) you should be considered Australian or american or what ever the country.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#13    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,031 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:07 AM

View Postunit, on 06 September 2012 - 01:06 PM, said:

Psyche.. i think you just revived my faith in humanity?

I take that as a huge honor. Thank you.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

#14    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,031 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

View Postnotoverrated, on 06 September 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

ya i guess but if you live somewhere (legally of course) you should be considered Australian or american or what ever the country.

Home is where the Heart is.

#15    ioppolo

ioppolo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 59 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:14 AM

Personally I don't see any problem with them specifically saying "no (insert race here)". A majority of people seriously need to get a grip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users