Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 8 votes

Evolution - really?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
921 replies to this topic

#46    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,089 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:14 PM

View PostBlueogre2, on 03 September 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

All these posts fighting so hard for evolution but what are you fighting for? To prove that humans are an accident of nature? That the universe has no real direction or point to it. That death is the end and our lives are ultimately sad jokes? Are you really going to fight for that?

No, we were hoping you will finally understand what evolution is all about. But I think many will have run out of gas.

Now you go believe in your Savior, your God and your heaven and Hell.

Let me give you a final hint: evolution is not about 'accidents of nature'.

#47    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:14 PM

View PostBlueogre2, on 03 September 2012 - 11:08 PM, said:

You may not remind yourself of it but nevertheless if you accept the evolutionary world view it's a fact that you can not escape. Life is a accident and their is no hope of a afterlife. You say you don't care how we got here but really how we got here is the most important thing because it determines everything else.

You saying it like that almost makes you a nihilist. I look to the bright side of things and nevertheless the way we got here, don't care. What is purpose anyway? Life is an accident, big whoop. Life was an "accident" on probably thousands of other planets in our galaxy alone. I don't believe in an afterlife and am happy with the life I get. Only those whom are selfish want an afterlife.

It isn't the most important thing. Focus on your own life, your family, etc. and you will realize it isn't.

Edited by Taylor Reints, 03 September 2012 - 11:15 PM.

Posted Image

#48    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,139 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:15 PM

You may not remind yourself of it but nevertheless if you accept the evolutionary world view it's a fact that you can not escape. Life is a accident and their is no hope of a afterlife. You say you don't care how we got here but really how we got here is the most important thing because it determines everything else.

Oh look, evolution happening right in front of ours eyes! In a lab, no less! http://www.scienceda...91018141716.htm

Actually, how were got here determines nothing other than how we got here. Your religious paranoia aside, there are mountains of evidence that support evolution. In fact, all observations of the natural world support it, as does biology, genetics, chemistry, physics, anatomy, anthropology, paleontology, psychology, neuroscience, all medicine today, in fact, virology, microbiology, etc. I could go on, but what's the point? You won't listen.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#49    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

• "The best way to predict the future is by inventing it."

"Record

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

View PostBlueogre2, on 03 September 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

All these posts fighting so hard for evolution but what are you fighting for? To prove that humans are an accident of nature? That the universe has no real direction or point to it. That death is the end and our lives are ultimately sad jokes? Are you really going to fight for that?
Frankly, I could not conceive a concept more elegant and beautiful than the creation of absolutely everything as a result of mere chance. If you are arguing from the position of a creator, then who created the creator? In order to have a creator, it needs to be created, and so on, and so forth... as I have reiterated countless times, in many other threads.

Also, new scientific theories suggest that, perhaps, there never was "nothing"... rather, energy and matter has always existed.

I don't think anything is more pathetic than to live your life for a fictitious, "divine" being, either. It does not make sense to me. What DOES make sense to me, however, is creating your own reason to live; developing your own will to survive. That, to me, is more admirable than blindly accepting nonsense as fact, and living your life by it.

I also find more comfort in knowing that I am only given ONE LIFE, and one life alone... as it gives me the motivation to spend more time with loved ones, to learn as much as I can about the world around me, etc.

Finally, there is nothing to fight for - it simply is, whether you like it, or not.

As Richard Dawkins so truthfully elaborated, "There is GRANDEUR... in this view of life."

Edited by Alienated Being, 03 September 2012 - 11:29 PM.

#50    BaalZebul Nehebkau

BaalZebul Nehebkau

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 75 posts

• Lord of the Flies

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

View PostAlienated Being, on 03 September 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

Frankly, I could not conceive a concept more elegant and beautiful than the creation of absolutely everything as a result of mere chance. If you are arguing from the position of a creator, then who created the creator? In order to have a creator, it needs to be created, and so on, and so forth... as I have reiterated countless times, in many other threads.

Also, new scientific theories suggest that, perhaps, there never was "nothing"... rather, energy and matter has always existed.

I don't think anything is more pathetic than to live your life for a fictitious, "divine" being, either. It does not make sense to me. What DOES make sense to me, however, is creating your own reason to live; developing your own will to survive. That, to me, is more admirable than blindly accepting nonsense as fact, and living your life by it.

I also find more comfort in knowing that I am only given ONE LIFE, and one life alone... as it gives me the motivation to spend more time with loved ones, to learn as much as I can about the world around me, etc.

Finally, there is nothing to fight for - it simply is, whether you like it, or not.

As Richard Dawkins so truthfully elaborated, "There is GRANDEUR... in this view of life."
lol because of your avatar I read all of your posts in Christopher Hitcnens' voice now dammit. It's kind of cool, though, as as if he were still with us now.

Lord of the Flies, Egyptian Snake God, whatever you want me to be. . . .

#51    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:58 PM

It isn't guesswork in the slightest, and the evidence is staggering. If you can honestly ask where the evidence for evolution is, then you clearly haven't bothered to read the very simple Wikipedia article outlining it. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evidence_for_common_descent

And as a biologist, I find it slightly unsettling that you find it unsettling that the single most-robust, highly-documented fact in the history of science is taught in schools. And for the record, humans did evolve from primates; and we are primates.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#52    Arbitran

Arbitran

• 2,767 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:03 AM

For the record, evolution makes no comment whatsoever on the possibility of an afterlife; it neither confirms, nor denies it. It doesn't claim that life is an accident. And how we got here really doesn't determine much at all, frankly. Trillions of people have come before us who have managed to live perfectly happy lives without having the slightest idea of where we came from.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#53    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

"Record

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:06 AM

View PostArbitran, on 04 September 2012 - 12:03 AM, said:

Trillions of people
T'is a bit of an exaggeration, no?

#54    Arbitran

Arbitran

• 2,767 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

View PostAlienated Being, on 04 September 2012 - 12:06 AM, said:

T'is a bit of an exaggeration, no?

Maybe, maybe not. Probably. Although who's to say I didn't mean to include non-human persons as well? Eh?

#55    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:17 AM

View PostArbitran, on 04 September 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

non-human persons

:huh:

Posted Image

#56    Arbitran

Arbitran

• 2,767 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:19 AM

View PostTaylor Reints, on 04 September 2012 - 12:17 AM, said:

:huh:

Humans are animals too. I consider non-human species persons also. I know it isn't a popular idea, nor one which is generally accepted under legality, but it is an ideological one.

#57    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:44 AM

View PostBlueogre2, on 03 September 2012 - 09:16 PM, said:

Evolution is a load of crap that was good science back in the day, but now its' pretty much disproven. Creation is the only possible way we could have gotten here, anyone who says otherwise just dosen't want to admit that they owe their life to God. But hey it's alright, God is good enough that he allows us to make our own decisions even if they are the wrong ones, however one day we all have to die and when we do we will stand before Him and have to make an account for our lives. I don't want to be the guy who gets there and says ahh sorry God, I would have believed in you if it was not for all these fake bones people keep putting forward as reality.
so basically your are saying tat we were made from mud and when we die we will rise into the sky and magically grow wings and live in eternal paradise? grow up dude

"If god doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." "A believer is not a thinker and a thinker is not a believer." - Marian Noel Sherman, M.D.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

#58    Arbenol68

Arbenol68

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:58 AM

I think you've discarded the beliefs of many christians there. They accept that evolution is the best explanation, and still expect an afterlife. But one of them should probably put you right on that.

Edited by Arbenol68, 04 September 2012 - 01:00 AM.

#59    Alienated Being

Alienated Being

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 4,163 posts

"Record

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:30 AM

View PostArbenol68, on 04 September 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

I think you've discarded the beliefs of many christians there. They accept that evolution is the best explanation, and still expect an afterlife. But one of them should probably put you right on that.
Any self-respecting Christian acknowledges evolution - The Pope, and the Archbishop of Canterbury are two that immediately come to mind.

However, I do believe I utilized a poor selection of words - "self-respecting" and "religion" really do not coincide with one another. You get my drift.

Edited by Alienated Being, 04 September 2012 - 01:30 AM.

#60    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,058 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

View PostBlueogre2, on 03 September 2012 - 09:29 PM, said:

Ya know what? I hear all these atheists and evolutionists try so hard to disprove God, and creationism, they come with their witty comebacks but in the end they can't prove a single thing about evolution. Because there is nothing to prove thats why. God made the universe, it's painfully obvious.

Nope, incorrect.  Us "evolutionists" don't try to disprove anything.  We have learned about the facts and understand the scientific theory that these facts support.  Evolution.

Us atheists aren't trying to disprove any deity, we are in search of any type of facts to support the existence of any deity.  

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users