Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Venomous spiders found in UK family's home

venomous spiders swindon

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,735 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

View PostCoffey, on 30 August 2012 - 04:58 PM, said:

Ah right, should have guessed that. lol

I heard wolf spiders are venomous over there?

Mildly venomous, a few minutes of discomfort - no recorded cases of any thing serious...

You can actually pick up a wolf spider (slowly) and handle it and it won't attack you... Tonight I will upload a video of a lady holding a momma wolf spider with it's babies on its back...

Edited by Taun, 30 August 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#17    Taun

Taun

• 5,735 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

A cool thing about Wolf Spiders... if you go outside at night and shine your flashlight (torch for you Brits) at the grass, you can see little green lights looking back at you...

Wolf Spider's have eight eyes, two of which are very large (for its size) and highly reflective... They reflect green light...

#18    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

The roosting goose...

• 12,538 posts

• Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

View PostTaun, on 30 August 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

A cool thing about Wolf Spiders... if you go outside at night and shine your flashlight (torch for you Brits) at the grass, you can see little green lights looking back at you...

Wolf Spider's have eight eyes, two of which are very large (for its size) and highly reflective... They reflect green light...

That sounds pretty fab, I'd like to see that.

#19    Taun

Taun

• 5,735 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

View Postschizoidwoman, on 31 August 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

That sounds pretty fab, I'd like to see that.

I did a search on Wolf Spiders and their habitat is everywhere on Earth except for Antartica and parts of Greenland... You probably have a sub-species of them right where you live...

#20    Taun

Taun

• 5,735 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:50 PM

This is the video I was going to post last night (but forgot...)  It is a momma Wolf Spider and her babies...

Wolf spiders are very fast - they have been clocked moving at 2 feet (60 cm?) per second which is pretty fast, since they are only 1 to 2 inches (25 - 50 mm) in size themselves...

Edited by Taun, 31 August 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#21    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

Wolf Spiders are awesome. We have numerous species here in the States including the Giant Carolina Wolf Spider (Hogna Carolinensis)

I thought I had read somewhere long ago that England had an isolated introduced population of Latrodectus tredecimguttatus (mediterranean black widow) or maybe it was the cosmopolitan Latrodectus geometricus (brown widow). Strange things happened to memory recall over time. Anyways if that is indeed true then these would be the most venomous spiders in England. Now I am not sure anymore.

Speaking of black widows check out these two exotic species of black widow:

Latrodectus Ex Laos (it has painted flames)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Latrodectus corallinus from Argentina

Posted Image

Latrodectus curacaviensis from Lesser Antilles, South America

Posted Image

Posted Image

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#22    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

There's this widow up at where I work. My boss and I have kept a pretty close eye on her and have decided will let her stay cause she's pretty out in the open and all. Since she's shown up, she's caught a bunch of roaches in her web. We just watch her web to make sure she's not gonna make a egg case or anything. It's pretty cool to watch her move about her cobweb.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#23    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

View PostHasina, on 03 September 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

There's this widow up at where I work. My boss and I have kept a pretty close eye on her and have decided will let her stay cause she's pretty out in the open and all. Since she's shown up, she's caught a bunch of roaches in her web. We just watch her web to make sure she's not gonna make a egg case or anything. It's pretty cool to watch her move about her cobweb.

General rule of thumb, black widows leave people alone if people leave them alone. Widows are pretty much confined to their cobwebs their whole lives. They are not a wandering species of spider by nature.

Back to the subject of your widow, dont be surprised if she is spotted guarding an eggsack eventually when a tiny harmless male does comes along. Once the young hatch and are ready to leave home, they will parachute on the wind to find a home of their own.

But yeah, she isnt going to hurt anybody. It is widows in dark and confined spaces that present  a potential danger like in garages, attics, basements, inside the home, lawn furniture, outhouses, etc.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

Also tagged with venomous, spiders, swindon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users