Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Private Manned Mars Mission Gets 1st Sponsors

mars one sponsors

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,607 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

A Dutch company that aims to land humans on Mars in 2023 as the vanguard of a permanent Red Planet colony has received its first funding from sponsors, officials announced this week.

Mars One plans to fund most of its ambitious activities via a global reality-TV media event, which will follow the mission from the selection of astronauts through their first years on the Red Planet. But the sponsorship money is important, helping the company — which had been self-funded for the last 18 months — get to that point, officials said Wednesday (Aug. 29).

http://www.space.com...n-sponsors.html

Posted Image

#2    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

im kinda skeptical they will be able to do it.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#3    Axlaiden

Axlaiden

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

Im sure Mars One will do fine. Within a ten year span (1958-1969) NASA was founded, research was being conducted, some high-stake missions were visioned, and Apollo rockets were developed (Several of them), and Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. Im sure people were skeptical then too (and some are still skeptical today whether it did actually happened - But I digress).

Mars One has a lot of the dirty work already done for them with what NASA has already achieved over the years. It will be a lot of hard work to achieve this goal, but it's doable.

#4    Purifier

Purifier

Δ

• 2,008 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 01 September 2012 - 05:21 PM

Where there is a will, there is a way. But it all depends on how badly they want to do it.

Hope it all works out for them and they make it happen.

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#5    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,821 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

I would donate some bucks to the Effort ! :tu:
ITs a Start !

This is a Work in Progress!

#6    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,271 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 01 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

I really can't see this happening.

Am I just being short sighted?

#7    TSS

TSS

Observer

• 5,671 posts

• The loud ones never last!

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

I wish them every success...as I do with anyone and everyone who has ambitions of space exploration, be it big ideas or small personal achievements. Copenhagen Suborbitals are my favourite small time outfit to watch at the moment, I think their budget on their first little venture was only 60k....which gives food for thought for anyone with a dream, get-up-and-go and a big idea..

"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science". ~ Edwin Powell Hubble

#8    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,860 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 11:51 PM

I'm kind of torn about this.
One the one hand; people on Mars? Absolutely!
On the other; NO MORE 'REALITY' TV!!! :angry:

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 01 September 2012 - 11:52 PM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#9    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:09 AM

This is a good idea if it works and if it doesn't somebody's going to get rich out of this scheme.

#10    tanzangel

tanzangel

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

• LOVE IS THE KEY

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:01 AM

Mars One plans to fund most of its ambitious activities via a global reality-TV media event,... oh my lord its going to be Geordie Shore on Mars. lol

#11    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:14 AM

The reality TV side doesn't have to be anything like Big Brother or Survivor. Those are reality game shows. It could be more like a docu-reality show, like most of the shows on the Discovery Channel now.

Plus i'm sure sponsorship deals will be on offer and companies would pay millions to have their logo on Mars and probably a very popular TV show (If it happens). Will help pay a lot of the costs.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#12    Galilei

Galilei

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

• "Every dreamer knows that it is entirely possible to be homesick for a place you’ve never been to." —Judith Thurman

Posted 02 September 2012 - 02:21 PM

I'm all for space exploration and a manned mission to Mars.. I only hope they have the right resources and minds working behind the project as they get more sponsors. Death is always a possibility in space travel, of course, but the probability shifts with the experience working within.

#13    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,821 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

Death wont stop anyone from going to Mars We all gotta die some time,I would venture to say many,many will die in space exploration. Look how many have died exploring out own planet !
Im all In sign me up ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#14    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,797 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:06 PM

I think they need to be able to return. What if things don't go well, I am not sure I could deal with watching somebody die up there if there could have been an escape plan.      I know it is a risk and it could happen and has happened. I think many of the death that have happened could have been prevented with a little more thought on safety at the drawing board. I think return is do able.  But If they can pull it off, then blessings of Timelords.  Go for it.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#15    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

There has been an awakening

• 5,271 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 02 September 2012 - 04:06 PM, said:

I think they need to be able to return. What if things don't go well, I am not sure I could deal with watching somebody die up there if there could have been an escape plan.   I know it is a risk and it could happen and has happened. I think many of the death that have happened could have been prevented with a little more thought on safety at the drawing board. I think return is do able.  But If they can pull it off, then blessings of Timelords.  Go for it.

I think being able to return will be a necessity if this project is to go ahead, I can't help feeling there will be some legal issues with sending people away without the means to bring them back, this would bring the project to a halt very quickly.

Imagine parents trying to stop this happening through the courts after finding out their off-spring had signed up on a one way trip to Mars, I am sure they would win and the project halted.

I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to show me where the hell Helen of Annoy has been for the past couple of months.

Also tagged with mars one, sponsors

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users