Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Old Wives tales your parents scare you with

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#16    meryt-tetisheri

meryt-tetisheri

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

What about the "mom will always know, cause moms have eyes in the back of their head"?

#17    Monster Archiver

Monster Archiver

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:31 PM

I use to have my parents say that mrs McCreedy will come and take me, she was a scary old woman that locked me in a room and would let the monster that live in my wardrobe get me when I make a noise. 30 years on I still hate my parents for the trauma they put me through as a kid with this one.

#18    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 03:48 PM

The only one I can think of is "Back in my day, $1 bought you a week's worth of groceries!".

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#19    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

no but i did used to make of stories to scare my brothers.

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#20    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,809 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

My parents weren't too into scary wives tales, we got other scary as kids. But my grandma liked the wives tales.

Don't eat seeds because they will grow in you. Don't swallow gum because it sticks in your insides.
If you aren't thankful for your daily bread, you will soon find yourself starving for your ungratefulness.
Moms have eyes in the back of their heads. Their hearing is better too.

#21    meryt-tetisheri

meryt-tetisheri

Psychic Spy

• 1,228 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:10 PM

View Postrashore, on 06 September 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

My parents weren't too into scary wives tales, we got other scary as kids. But my grandma liked the wives tales.

Don't eat seeds because they will grow in you. Don't swallow gum because it sticks in your insides.
If you aren't thankful for your daily bread, you will soon find yourself starving for your ungratefulness.
Moms have eyes in the back of their heads. Their hearing is better too.

I admit I used the "moms have eyes..." bit when my children were young, and for a while they almost believed it. It was mostly a matter of deduction, intuition, or whatever one may call it, but I could sense most of the time when my son was trying to smoke in his room even when I was too far to actually smell anything. Sometimes extra eyes do work!

#22    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,440 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

Hey,some great posts, mine was, If you dont eat All your dinner,you wont grow up..(hated carrots) so why did mum put them on the plate ?.. Spinach is good for you look at Popeye,(who in my opinion was a mishapen runt with huge arms,and a stick insect wife)..But the best one yet was from my uncle, who was a small chap of about 5 feet high,he used to say, put some Horse manure in your shoes or I'll be taller than you..(I never tried that one) but I found out years later that he had..ha ha..

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#23    B Randomly

B Randomly

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 183 posts

• Be the change you wish to see in the world.
    -Gandhi

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

My parents may have given me a few, but my grandparents were the main culprits.

Don't smile at wooly caterpillars, if they count your teeth, your teeth will fall out.(My brother and I would go show them to my grandparents with our lips covering our teeth, trying to tell them we found a wooly caterpillar)

If your knees were ticklish it meant you like girls/boys.

Dont play with fire or you'll pee the bed.

Edited to add:  Raise your feet when you go over a bridge, to make the car lighter.  Otherwise, we'd fall through.

Edited by B Randomly, 06 September 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#24    Ninhursag

Ninhursag

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts

• Et In Arcadia Ego

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

In My Country One Of The Most Popular Is: Don't Drink Black Coffee Or You'll Grow A Tail ..

It's Interesting To See How Some Of Them Are Repeated In Different Countries And Different Cultures :)

~ Nothing In Nature Is By Chance... Something Appears To Be Chance Only Because Of Our Lack Of Knowledge. - Brauch De Spinoza ~

#25    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,384 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:50 PM

"If you don't quit playing with that so often, you'll go blind.  You'll also be helluva lonely."  -- Grandpa.

I wish I'd listened.

*trips over pc cable*

Edited by Eldorado, 11 September 2012 - 10:53 PM.

#26    jackball74

jackball74

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:44 PM

The escalator one terrified me for years.  I used to jump over the edge when getting on and off.  And the rumor about Pop Rocks and Coke causing your stomach to explode was huge when I was little.  I remember my friend did it and his mom actually made him sit still for a while afterward.

#27    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,467 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:55 AM

If my grandmother (raised RC Irish) opened a can of food upside down, she'd never use the contents. Also refused to bring a broom from one house into another (bad spirits are swept up and kept in brooms).

If a bird flew into the house, my other grandmother (mennonite) was convinced that someone in the family would die within a week.

Well, yeah grandma, you had 8 brothers and sisters and all their families. And grandpa is the youngest of 26 children of two marriages and all their families. And then there's your 7 children, with all their families...

Grandma, I'd be surprised to find out that out of all those people, no one died next week!

She also grew up in Saskatchewan, and even though she agreed that the earth was round she admitted that, "I just can't imagine that."

There was still a little part of her that said inside, "Nope."

#28    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:59 AM

When my parents were kids....they were threatened with an orphage, called Father Bakers....so they tried to scare us with that one..."We'll send you to Father Bakers!!" but since it had been long closed down we'd just look at each other like WTF is that??? Sorry Mom, that one doesnt scare us.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#29    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,521 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

View PostHilander, on 04 September 2012 - 05:32 PM, said:

Your giving away all the secrets of the ancients.

LMFAO

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#30    MetallicBlood

MetallicBlood

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

• You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:31 AM

When I was very young and always bouncing off the walls, my dad would tell me to settle down or else he would throw me inside the TV and I would be stuck in there with Mickey (or whatever cartoon I happened to be watching) and I would be like "that's actually possible!?" and I wondered how many people had actually been trapped inside their TV's.

She stands out in a crowd, she thinks out loud to save her breath, with a portrait of her parents death.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users