Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iran Supplying Syrian Military

questionmark

WASHINGTON — Iran has resumed shipping military equipment to Syria over Iraqi airspace in a new effort to bolster the embattled government of President Bashar al-Assad of Syria, according to senior American officials.

The Obama administration pressed Iraq to shut down the air corridor that Iran had been using earlier this year, raising the issue with Prime Minister Nuri Kamal al-Maliki of Iraq. But as Syrian rebels gained ground and Mr. Assad’s government was rocked by a bombing that killed several high officials, Iran doubled down in supporting the Syrian leader. The flights started up again in July and, to the frustration of American officials, have continued ever since.

Military experts say that the flights have enabled Iran to provide supplies to the Syrian government despite the efforts Syrian rebels have made to seize several border crossings where Iranian aid has been trucked in.

Read more

Now, who said that Iraqis hate Iranians?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• Yamato

• and-then

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, who said that Iraqis hate Iranians?

Iraq and Iran are much closer now, thanks to US foreign policy.

I think one of the most telling bits of evidence of our failure is how we've been squeezed out of Iraq's oil market.

Iraq's Shia's have always had an affinity for their brethren in Iran. Al Maliki is Shia I believe. Iraq is either going to be politically annexed into the Iranian sphere or it will devolve into civil war. What they will NOT be is an American ally. Nor do I blame them for such a sentiment. But that doesn't mean better times ahead for them necessarily.