Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

My dog Iggy died of nasal cancer on 8/27/12


  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1    grither

grither

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Joined:02 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alpena, Michigan USA

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

I don't post on here anymore. I have not posted for a few years. I just came back on to post a thread about Iggy. I used to be on here regularly. Then I just drifted off and lost interest. Iggy was my best friend and the best dog ever. He died of a nasal tumor on August 27th around 3am. He had that nasal tumor for three years. I was able to treat it for three years. It is not possible to cure nasal cancer in dogs. However I still had hope I could cure it.

I spent a ton of money on Iggy. He was worth every penny. His treatments resulted in three happy more years we never would have had. He was happy during the entire time and we took over 1000 happy photos. He had a mast cell tumor on his side in 2008 and that was surgically removed. Then in 2009 he got the nasal cancer. I think poor Iggy was just genetically desposed to cancer.

I got him radiation therapy in October of 2009. That made it so it did not grow for an entire year. In the beginning the term radiation therapy scared me. I was told the side effects were mild though. And they were, for the life it gave him, all he got were grayed hairs on his face. A weeks worth of itchy skin and he was back to normal. Running up and down the hallways, smiling at me and playing ball. In October 2010 it came back a bit and they started him on a new pill called palladia. It attacked the tumors blood vessels. Preventing further growth. For one year it did not grow anymore. Then at the start of 2012 it returned again. He went in for his second and final radiation. It was his last shot with radiation. It was the same as before, mild side effects for a week.

Then he had until July when it came back again. He was going to go in for his last option. A drug that caused complete remission in four of eight dogs with nasal tumors, called carboplatin. Iggy only made it through one treatment. Sadly cancer would not allow him to go any further.

He was 15 when he died. The sad thing is that without cancer he would have lived several more years. He may have been 15, but he could run circles around me and followed me around with this big happy grin. He would play ball for a half hour still and he had not slowed much. I came home from work to see him bleeding all over my bedroom floor and blowing blood bubbles out of his nose. I was heart broken to see him in such a state. He was hiding under my bed shaking. I knew there was nothing more that I could do.

So I listened to music with him and comforted him, I had never seen him like that before. This thick, black ooze was seeping from his nose. Almost like it was pieces of him. And he had this horrible expression on his face. Me and my girlfriend took him to an all night vet. They put the catheter in and let me have time with him. We sat in a nice room with a couch and I told him how he was my best friend, my baby and how I loved him more than anything. I promised to find him again someday. To once again play more ball and run in more fields with him. I apologized for failing to cure his disease.

I always told him I would always stop the cancer. It breaks my heart to have it win in the end. I spent $15,000 on him in four years and I have never spent money more worth it. The main thing to me was quality of life and Iggy had that in spades. The treatments had a time limit though.

I just wanted to tell more people about Iggy's story. I feel broken and empty without Iggy. We did so much together and now it feels so dark without him. I would give anything to have him back. Here is a picture of my buddy. I have better ones but they are too big to upload.

I still remember what it was like to have him die in my arms. I never had many friends and have always been close to animals, especially to Iggy. Living without Iggy is going to take a lot of adjusting. Rest in peace Iggy, 1997-2012.

Attached Files


Edited by grither, 06 September 2012 - 10:33 AM.


#2    libstaK

libstaK

    Nosce Te Ipsum

  • 6,925 posts
  • Joined:06 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Melbourne, Australia

  • Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

:cry: I am so sorry for your loss.  I lost my pomeranian a couple of years ago and I know how awful it feels to lose a little buddy, he was a true friend also.  Dog owners know what that means and I know what you mean when you say how much of a dear and precious buddy Iggy has been for you. Thank you for thinking of your UM family when you decided you wanted to share this.

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#3    schizoidwoman

schizoidwoman

    The roosting goose...

  • Member
  • 12,538 posts
  • Joined:03 Mar 2009
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Up a steep hill in Yorkshire

  • Much mischief is done by the misuse of mercury...

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:40 AM

I'm so sorry, Grither, my best wishes are with you. Iggy looks like a real cutie, he was lucky to have such a caring, loving owner as you.


#4    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 38,623 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:14 PM

I'm so sorry Grither :( What a lovely dog.....he has a sweet face, bless him.

Posted Image

#5    lightly

lightly

    metaphysical therapist

  • Member
  • 6,066 posts
  • Joined:01 Apr 2009
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan U.S.A.

  • "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:29 PM

hi Grither,  (((((((((HuG)))))))))

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#6    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

    tinfoil

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts
  • Joined:12 Sep 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:down under

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

Quote

...I promised to find him again someday...
it was this line.. and my eyes start to leak.. :passifier:

http://www.unexplain...5#commentsStart

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#7    Catz

Catz

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • Joined:17 Aug 2012
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:South Africa

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

Hi Grither, so sorry about your dog.  It is terrible I know.  I had to put down my dog last year since she could not stand up anymore.  One of the saddest days of my life.  Thinking of you!

:tsu:

#8    Ashotep

Ashotep

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,465 posts
  • Joined:10 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:USA

  • Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:48 PM

Really sorry that your dog died, mine was only 8, she had kidney failure.  I cried for a week, she was my best friend.


#9    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

    Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

  • Member
  • 8,266 posts
  • Joined:26 Feb 2012
  • Location:Rim of hell

  • ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:57 AM

I'm so sorry :'(

Miss me?

#10    greywolf

greywolf

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts
  • Joined:27 Apr 2006
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:I Have No Idea. I Guess I'm Lost?

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:13 AM

Sorry to hear about IGGY. i lost one of my babies 2 years ago.she was one month shy of 16. 6 weeks later i lost another one of my kids. she and other dog grew up together,and i think she died of a broken heart. she was 15.i still think of them and miss them. i have 2 other babies who are younger,and they both picked up some traits from the others. i believe in my heart that we will meet again in heaven and there will be no pain or sorrow. we will all be together forever. god bless you. :cat:

Edited by greywolf, 07 September 2012 - 04:13 AM.


#11    grither

grither

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Joined:02 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alpena, Michigan USA

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am dealing day by day. He was my best friend and I have been very miserable without him. I did a lot of fun things with him over many years. But now that I want to do more, I am realizing slowly when I could have done more when I had him. Iggy was the best friend I have ever had. He really cared about me and I cared so much about him. I long for the good old days when we were hanging out. It is very hard. Just taking it day by day is all I can do.


#12    lizzieboo

lizzieboo

    Remote Viewer

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Joined:28 May 2011
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:2nd star on the right, straight on til morning

  • He was more like a succession of extraordinary events than a person. (Douglas Adams)

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

View Postgrither, on 08 September 2012 - 07:52 AM, said:

Thanks for the replies. I am dealing day by day. He was my best friend and I have been very miserable without him. I did a lot of fun things with him over many years. But now that I want to do more, I am realizing slowly when I could have done more when I had him. Iggy was the best friend I have ever had. He really cared about me and I cared so much about him. I long for the good old days when we were hanging out. It is very hard. Just taking it day by day is all I can do.

I'm so sorry for your loss, sweetie. Iggy was an adorable dog with a sweet and loving face...I bet he was really approachable and loved people.

When we lose a treasured animal companion, we always feel guilt about whether we could have done more, whether it be "I could have done more to save him" or "I could have spent more time with him, played with him more...etc." It is natural to feel this guilt, but that doesn't mean it is warranted. You gave Iggy a beautiful, wonderful life filled with love. His love for you shows you that he knew what he meant to you.

The next few months or so are going to be painful, honey. If you like, I can send you a link to a pet bereavement site that helped me immensely when I lost my dear Rottie, Bosco, last year. The compassion you find there will provide a bit of a blanket around you to help shield you from the worst of the pain.

You will see Iggy again someday; I feel sure of that. I don't know what your beliefs are and I don't want to preach, but I believe that if any living creature has a soul, then all do. I don't think we are meant to lose our loved ones forever...I think it is more of a brief parting, after which we are reunited, never to be parted again.

When my father died, someone said this to me: "Imagine a ship leaving the dock where you stand watching. With a heavy heart, you watch the ship pull slowly out into the harbor. You continue to watch as the ship steams across the sea into the distance...when she reaches the horizon, the ship disappears from your view, and you say, 'There she goes' and turn away in sadness...but at the very moment that you said 'There she goes' someone on the opposite horizon catches sight of the ship and says, joyfully, 'Here she comes.'"

Sending you comforting hugs,
Lizzie

All right, I see what's going on. This is the opening salvo in what will be an escalating series of juvenile tit for tat exchanges. Well titted! Stand by for my upcoming tat. --Dr. Sheldon Cooper


#13    None of the above

None of the above

    Psychic Spy

  • Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Joined:20 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 08 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

Hi Grither
I'll give you the same advice I'd give anyone who'd surffered such a sad loss. True compassion and love isn't defined by species. Losing a beloved companion and friend is hugely difficult to cope with.
You are going to go through the process of grieving, it's not an easy one.
Remember that it IS a process. It will have phases, and some days will be harder than others.
But in the end you will be able to remember all the good times that you shared and not just the illness. You did everything you could and that gave him the best life that he could have had.
Remember that what you are feeling is natural and hard as it is, you won't feel this bad forever.
Thanks for sharing Iggy's story.

Stay strong.


#14    grither

grither

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Joined:02 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alpena, Michigan USA

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:43 AM

View Postlizzieboo, on 08 September 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

I'm so sorry for your loss, sweetie. Iggy was an adorable dog with a sweet and loving face...I bet he was really approachable and loved people.

When we lose a treasured animal companion, we always feel guilt about whether we could have done more, whether it be "I could have done more to save him" or "I could have spent more time with him, played with him more...etc." It is natural to feel this guilt, but that doesn't mean it is warranted. You gave Iggy a beautiful, wonderful life filled with love. His love for you shows you that he knew what he meant to you.

The next few months or so are going to be painful, honey. If you like, I can send you a link to a pet bereavement site that helped me immensely when I lost my dear Rottie, Bosco, last year. The compassion you find there will provide a bit of a blanket around you to help shield you from the worst of the pain.

You will see Iggy again someday; I feel sure of that. I don't know what your beliefs are and I don't want to preach, but I believe that if any living creature has a soul, then all do. I don't think we are meant to lose our loved ones forever...I think it is more of a brief parting, after which we are reunited, never to be parted again.

When my father died, someone said this to me: "Imagine a ship leaving the dock where you stand watching. With a heavy heart, you watch the ship pull slowly out into the harbor. You continue to watch as the ship steams across the sea into the distance...when she reaches the horizon, the ship disappears from your view, and you say, 'There she goes' and turn away in sadness...but at the very moment that you said 'There she goes' someone on the opposite horizon catches sight of the ship and says, joyfully, 'Here she comes.'"

Sending you comforting hugs,
Lizzie

Thank you for your kind words Lizzie. Iggy was a loving dog and he liked everyone. I have been hurting a lot. I would be interested in knowing the site link you mentioned. I don't have any religious beliefs. I am an atheist, but I'd like to think that if souls exist, I would find him again someday. I would love to think that when you have a great bond with someone, the friends can find each other again. However that may be, and wherever that may be.

Iggy was my best friend and adjusting life without him is hard. It was hard to fight the cancer for several years and see it win again in the end. I spend most of my time crying lately.

Anyway, thanks.


#15    grither

grither

    Astral Projection

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts
  • Joined:02 Dec 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Alpena, Michigan USA

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

View PostAtlantia, on 08 September 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

Hi Grither
I'll give you the same advice I'd give anyone who'd surffered such a sad loss. True compassion and love isn't defined by species. Losing a beloved companion and friend is hugely difficult to cope with.
You are going to go through the process of grieving, it's not an easy one.
Remember that it IS a process. It will have phases, and some days will be harder than others.
But in the end you will be able to remember all the good times that you shared and not just the illness. You did everything you could and that gave him the best life that he could have had.
Remember that what you are feeling is natural and hard as it is, you won't feel this bad forever.
Thanks for sharing Iggy's story.

Stay strong.

Thanks Atlantia, thank you for the advice. I miss Iggy so much and I cry for him all the time lately. It doesn't seem to be getting easier. It just feels wrong, living without my best friend seems wrong. Everything feels off and it takes a lot of getting used to. I am working on it though. I did everything I could for him but it hurts to know I couldn't do more in the end.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users