Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Think tank to tackle interstellar travel

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,626 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

The 100 Year Starship Project is aimed at developing interstellar space flight within the next century.

Discovery News said:

The light-years between the stars is vast -- a seemingly insurmountable quarantine that cuts our solar system off from the rest of the galaxy. But to a growing number of interstellar enthusiasts -- and a former U. S. president -- interstellar distances may not be as insurmountable as they seem.

Posted Image Read more...

#2    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,188 posts

• Ah, but I was so much older then,
    I'm younger than that now. Dylan

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:05 AM

Cool! I hope science learns how to counter aging in my lifetime so I can be around for interstellar travel.

"That was definitely a bigfoot, you could tell by the bear-shaped body" YT poster

#3    ThickasaBrick

ThickasaBrick

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

• "Your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick." "I'll judge you all and make damn sure that no-one judges me."
    -Jethro Tull

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

It is about time. I would have thought that this type of think tank had been established decades ago. Now is better than later, especially with the discovery of many rocky planets within the habitable zones of stars, providing that the planets have suitable conditions for human colonization. Here's hoping that this think tank makes great strides.

#4    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,012 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:38 PM

Oh man, wish I could go.  The ultimate science trip for me. If I had know about it last year I might have been able to make it. I got a buddy in Houston I could've stayed with.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#5    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 10,349 posts

• Take 3 deep breaths

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:46 PM

Until we can do a few other things such as permanent bases on the moon or orbital drydocks, mining other planets and asteroids for materials...the list really goes on and on, I just don't see the point.  But I guess contemplating how we will do it can't hurt.  Although if you go to youtube and and search for talks by phsicists on this very subject you'll see that paying a think tank to work on this is a waste since so many great minds have already thought long and hard on this one.

#6    johnny blue eyes

johnny blue eyes

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

Wish they would put together a think tank to sort THIS planet out before worrying about going to others. Complete waste of brain power and resources.

#7    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,051 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:38 PM

Well its just a bunch of "Big Kids" fantasizing,because until we develop "Warp" drive, we aint going anywhere outside our own solar system, not even in a hundred yrs time.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#8    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,766 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:41 PM

It's about time.

#9    jroman

jroman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

What about heim's theory? This one travels faster than light! See link below:
http://www.hpcc-spac..._Propulsion.pdf

Judge for yourself. What do you think?

#10    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 16,161 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:22 AM

Lets Get IT On ! :tu:

This is a Work in Progress!

#11    TheMolePatrol

TheMolePatrol

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 01:46 AM

Awesome news with space finally! I would love for this topic to be taken seriously, I actually really wish this was the goal of our whole planet, with countries pumping money into the exploration of space.

#12    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 14,745 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:55 AM

We can do interstellar travel now, if we wanted to. It is only a matter of how long it will take to get there. The nearest star with a known planet I think is like 10 light years away, so with a constant accelleation nuclear ion drive (which we could build today), it would probably take like 300 or more years to get there. (Maybe someone has better numbers?) So... most people consider that to be too long. It would take what is called a Generational Ship, with a breeding population on board and education to teach the new generations to take over for the older ones.

But, it is well within what humans could do today, and in my opinion we should be doing it already.

I do agree though that first we should put resources toward fixing the world we have, so that we can afford to fund and support such a project.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#13    nohands

nohands

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

10years is the nearest star? tsk2x what a long journey!!
i think we need teleportation now!!

#14    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,051 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

View Postnohands, on 07 September 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

10years is the nearest star? tsk2x what a long journey!!
i think we need teleportation now!!
  I would guess that you have to have "ports" at each end,so we should tell the guys at the other end to start building one so we can visit

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#15    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 29,761 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 07 September 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

I would guess that you have to have "ports" at each end,so we should tell the guys at the other end to start building one so we can visit
And to also rewrite physics as it is currently known.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users