Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Think tank to tackle interstellar travel

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

Why not get a think tank to eradicate poverty and famine, much worthy cause than fantasising about something which is impossible!!!

#17    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,777 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 07 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

Lion6969, on 07 September 2012 - 09:43 PM, said:

Why not get a think tank to eradicate poverty and famine, much worthy cause than fantasising about something which is impossible!!!
Absolutely correct,thats all it is a "fantasy"..but some are tending to take it seriously..

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#18    jroman

jroman

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:14 AM

Forget spending six months or more holed up in a rocket on the way to Mars, a round trip on the hyperdrive could take as little as 5 hours. All our worries about astronauts' muscles wasting away or their DNA being irreparably damaged by cosmic radiation would disappear overnight. What's more the device would put travel to the stars within reach for the first time. But can the hyperdrive really get off the ground? See link below:
http://www.bibliotec...imensions11.htm
Judge for yourself. What do you think?

#19    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:06 AM

Well, it isn't impossible, but yes, we should take care of poverty (famine would be a bit tricky...).

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#20    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:38 AM

I think all this research started decades ago and that quite a bit of "progress" has been made, although the problem is how to introduce this information to a wider public.

#21    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,791 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:07 AM

nohands, on 07 September 2012 - 09:51 AM, said:

10years is the nearest star? tsk2x what a long journey!!
i think we need teleportation now!!
Nah... I think the closest star is 4.2 light years away. Alpha Centari or Proxima Centari, I think.
http://www.astro.wis...ra/nearest.html

10 light years (manybe 11 or a little more) is the distance to the closest star that is suspected to have a planet in orbit.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#22    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,791 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:11 AM

TheMacGuffin, on 08 September 2012 - 02:38 AM, said:

I think all this research started decades ago and that quite a bit of "progress" has been made, although the problem is how to introduce this information to a wider public.
I think you are right. But, I think the problem has been a power source. A conventional (is there such a thing?) nuclear engine would be way to underpowered to get humans to the stars and back in anything less then 10 generations.

I think some kind of magnetic field manipulation might be the way to go. Since we can't manipulate gravity. Manipulation of gravity would allow us to quickly create a propulsion system that would be very quick.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#23    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:25 AM

I have a suspicion that once we become a space faring civilization (officially speaking) many of these older problems will start to decrease.

#24    None of the above

None of the above

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

The technology needed to make true interstellar travel viable is completely beyond us. 100 years? Could be 1000 years or frankly never.
There are several areas where we are barely more advanced than a if we'd just been hit on the head by an apple ;)
Look at the variety of methods that sci-fi writers use to bridge these huge gaps.
Take Star Trek as it's one of the most thoughtfully explored methods of interstellar travel (and the article mentions Urhura and Geordi).
Just off the top of my head, some of the things that the creators have invented to allow 'Warp drive' to happen.
Controlled Anti-Matter reactions (some basis in reality)
Dilithium crystals
Warp bubble/static warp field
Inertia dampeners
Navigational deflector array
Anti and artificial gravity

So even in the minds of those who write sci-fi when helped by real scientists (as ST-TNG was) the answer to interstellar travel is a mixture of technology that we can possibly aspire to, with technology that we can imagine but is completely beyond us and imaginary 'elements' to make it all work.

For true interstellar travel to be a century away, we literally need to find a derelict alien spaceship or hyperspace gate then have a century to back engineer it.

#25    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,777 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:27 PM

How about gyrostatic nuclear powered drive, (as used by U.F.O.'s, just kidding) ? Some one must have explored gyroscopic lift, which was demonstrated about 30 years ago on t.v.(in front of an audience of scientists) where heavy objects could be easily lifted using gyroscope technology. (Or is this classified).

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#26    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• 1,837 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:37 PM

They do have them, there are many organisations trying to solve that problem.

These guys are physicists, rocket scientists and engineers etc. This is their field, they're not going to start a think tank about an area they don't work in.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#27    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,685 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

and not to sound totally uncaring, but, since when has it been our job to feed the world?

#28    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

spud the mackem, on 08 September 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

How about gyrostatic nuclear powered drive, (as used by U.F.O.'s, just kidding) ? Some one must have explored gyroscopic lift, which was demonstrated about 30 years ago on t.v.(in front of an audience of scientists) where heavy objects could be easily lifted using gyroscope technology. (Or is this classified).

Gyroscopic lift looks very promising, in my opinion.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#29    The Man Who Fell To Earth

The Man Who Fell To Earth

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:12 AM

DKO, on 08 September 2012 - 02:37 PM, said:

They do have them, there are many organisations trying to solve that problem.

These guys are physicists, rocket scientists and engineers etc. This is their field, they're not going to start a think tank about an area they don't work in.

Excellent point. It's not like there's some kind of shortage of 'think-tanks' on this planet. In fact, some might say there are too many. :su

So where were the spiders while the fly tried to break our balls? Just the beer-light to guide us, so we b****ed about his fans and should we crush his sweet hands?

#30    Opinionist

Opinionist

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

• "Man invented everything, except invention itself."

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:45 AM

Impossible project, too less thinkers in planet earth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users