Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 3 votes

Pagan Practices 101

• Please log in to reply
249 replies to this topic

#1    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:08 PM

Hi everyone ,
A few of the practicing pagans here on UM,have chosen to start this thread,to answer questions for people who are truely interested in other forms of spiritual practice .
This is just for information sharing ,and we do not want anyone trying to cast inappropriate spells,or anything like that .
We would appreciate it if non believers refrained from flames and posts of a disbarraging nature .

We only want to pass on info to people who are truely interested,but have no access to proper information or mentoring from an elder .

All forms of paganism and spiritual practices are welcome
We all come from very different backgrounds ,so it should make for a very interesting mix .

Just to cover the basics ,if someone wants to post a basic circle casting how too ,that would be a great start .
Given I do not follow a wholey wiccan path,and I cannot cut and paste ^_^ ,it might be best if a wiccan posted it,and we can all post our own little special things we do,when casting a circle .
I actually invoke five elements when I cast ,but that's my Chinese theory background creeping in .

If anyone else would like to post an introduction ,and what path you follow,or what you would like to learn ......
The floor is yours .
Xxoo
M

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 06 September 2012 - 09:09 PM.

Miss me?

#2    Dianegazza

Dianegazza

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

• "Those who mind don't matter" and "those that matter don't mind" I particularly don't give a S---T!

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

Hi I would love to learn more about paganism can you please help me and share with me how I can get started? Thanx Diane x

#3    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

View PostDianegazza, on 06 September 2012 - 10:11 PM, said:

Hi I would love to learn more about paganism can you please help me and share with me how I can get started? Thanx Diane x

Hello and welcome to UM
There are many forms a paganism ,and there is more to it than just "magick".
Is there any particular form of paganism that calls to you ?

I think maybe a reading list is in order as well.
If anyone has any books they think are good start points,please post them .

I would say look at some titles by Silver Ravenwolf ,as she has many easy to follow basic books .
And I always recommend Lady Rheas Enchanted Candle book .

Miss me?

#4    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:50 PM

View Postbones101proof, on 06 September 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

An old ex girlfriend of mine was pagan, wiccan. She was evil beyond words I can't describe, to me and her family. She ended up killing herself last I cared to hear about her.

Well being Wiccan doesnt make someone evil .Sounds like she had problems in general .
Even if you didn't care,I'm sorry . Having an ex commit suicide is still hard.

There are evil Christians ,aren't there ? Men who abuse kids .People who steal .
Evil is in many places,just as goodness is .
Don't let one person make you think all pagans are bad .

Miss me?

#5    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

Just so we're clear, define "pagan"? Because I know that it can mean a lot of different things to different people...

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#6    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:59 PM

An old ex girlfriend of mine was pagan, wiccan. She was evil beyond words I can't describe, to me and her family. She ended up killing herself last I cared to hear about her.
There are some people who make the craft evil not the craft its self they seemed to be drawn to it like moths to a flame as they think paganism and satanism are the same and distort it for their own gains true warlocks/witches/pagans are not evil they will embrace the world and life with a sense of love and being but I am sad to hear your ex was evil.

#7    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

View PostArbitran, on 06 September 2012 - 10:51 PM, said:

Just so we're clear, define "pagan"? Because I know that it can mean a lot of different things to different people...

Well most definitions of paganism mean non organized religions .
That would exclude things like Muslim,Christian,Jewish,Buddhist ....
Some people feel Buddhism is pagan,but non organized,is the literal definition of paganism .

I assume people will want to know about things like Wicca,OTO and golden dawn,voodoo,Santeria ,native American practices ,,,like that .

We are doing this as more of an information exchange ,and not for debating what's better ,etc etc.

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 06 September 2012 - 11:03 PM.

Miss me?

#8    Arbitran

Arbitran

• 2,767 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:07 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 06 September 2012 - 11:02 PM, said:

Well most definitions of paganism mean non organized religions .
That would exclude things like Muslim,Christian,Jewish,Buddhist ....
Some people feel Buddhism is pagan,but non organized,is the literal definition of paganism .

I assume people will want to know about things like Wicca,OTO and golden dawn,voodoo,Santeria ,native American practices ,,,like that .

We are doing this as more of an information exchange ,and not for debating what's better ,etc etc.

I presumed that that was the sort of thing that was meant. I was just making sure. Because, for instance, a lot of Christians call me a "pagan"; I'm officially a Hindu, and unofficially Buddhist, Taoist, Shintoist, Confucianist, etc. Basically, I'm branded a pagan because I gravitate towards Eastern rather than Western ideology.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#9    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

View PostArbitran, on 06 September 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

I presumed that that was the sort of thing that was meant. I was just making sure. Because, for instance, a lot of Christians call me a "pagan"; I'm officially a Hindu, and unofficially Buddhist, Taoist, Shintoist, Confucianist, etc. Basically, I'm branded a pagan because I gravitate towards Eastern rather than Western ideology.
That is pure ignorance on their part.
I will probably post some Hindu and Tibetan lore,as most people don't understand it ,for just these reasons .
Better to educate ,rather than chastise .
Ganesh Chanthuri is coming ,I will definately post about it .
If you want to post about some things,just to educate,please do .

Miss me?

#10    Arbitran

Arbitran

• 2,767 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 06 September 2012 - 11:23 PM, said:

That is pure ignorance on their part.
I will probably post some Hindu and Tibetan lore,as most people don't understand it ,for just these reasons .
Better to educate ,rather than chastise .
Ganesh Chanthuri is coming ,I will definately post about it .
If you want to post about some things,just to educate,please do .

Very good.

#11    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:28 PM

East/West it doesn't matter paganism is older then both trains of thought a true pagan be it a Buddhist a witch or what ever you want to call yourself is one with mother nature hence all things are alive with their own wealth of being. :tu:

#12    Salami Swami

Salami Swami

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 217 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:45 AM

Thats dark man

Posted Image

#13    Arbitran

Arbitran

• 2,767 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:56 AM

View Postbones101proof, on 07 September 2012 - 06:28 AM, said:

- post removed -

I didn't get about half of that because of the filters. I wasn't trying to be sardonic, by the way. In retrospect I see it could be interpreted that way. It was serious advice. The only medicine for a wounded soul is love.

#14    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

View PostArbitran, on 07 September 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

I didn't get about half of that because of the filters. I wasn't trying to be sardonic, by the way. In retrospect I see it could be interpreted that way. It was serious advice. The only medicine for a wounded soul is love.

I'm sorry bones ,no one meant any harm .....,this is obviously has not healed yet for you .......maybe you need to do something for some type of closure .
I don't know what religion you are,but maybe you should light her a,candle ,or say some prayers,or have prayers said.
In the catholic tradition,they have a mass said .I would go with my mom and light candles at church .
In Jewish tradition they light candles on the anniversary of the day,but my ex boyfriends mom lit them every night .
In Santeria,we light them a guardian angel candle ,to help them find her way . It also helps the living to say good bye .
It's up to you ,but I think you need to look closer at your feelings about this ,because it isn't healthy for you to still carry this burden with you ...

Miss me?

#15    karmakazi

karmakazi

Crazy Cat Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

• That which does not kill us, makes us stranger.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

Technically Hindus would be considered pagan, because paganism technically includes any polytheistic (or atheistic, I feel) religion.

Paganism (from Latin paganus, meaning "country dweller", "rustic"[1]) is a blanket term, typically used to refer to religious traditions which are polytheistic or indigenous.

It's pretty loose on definition, and I think it's one that a lot of people don't really understand.

I have to go to work now but later perhaps I'll work on a bit of a glossary for this thread, may be helpful :)

If I had something witty to say, my signature would be a lot funnier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users