Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Positives of global warming..................

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,109 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

Another positive for me personally is that I can tie a boat to my balcony. If all that ice has melted, I can look down on the sea from my window, instead of travelling to the sea coast which is now 20 kilometers away.

I live in the Netherlands, some 25 meters (75 feet) from the ground.

#17    hetrodoxly

hetrodoxly

Alien Abducter

• 4,955 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

Not only slow down the next glacial period but possibly stop the next ice-age completely.

Thank god i'm an athiest.

Veni, vidi, Vertigo, i came i saw i couldn't get down.
Hetrodoxly.

#18    MichaelW

MichaelW

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,523 posts

• Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:40 AM

I suppose warmer weather would mean we actually have a warmer summer for once.

Signature removed - please see rule 3b.

#19    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,172 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

View PostMichaelW, on 21 September 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

I suppose warmer weather would mean we actually have a warmer summer for once.
Quite the opposite in Ireland at least.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#20    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 4,578 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

No more pesky polar bears eating my garbage.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#21    MichaelW

MichaelW

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,523 posts

• Doctors are sadists who like to play God and watch lesser people scream.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:55 AM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 21 September 2012 - 10:08 AM, said:

Quite the opposite in Ireland at least.

Br Cornelius

But the climate in Ireland hasn't been cooling for over 30 years has it? All our temperature records have been set in the 1970's and it's only been within the last year or so that the climate has come even remotely close to breaking them.

However, the freaky weather does have some benefits. Some of our ski resorts received some late snow and are now open until November.

Signature removed - please see rule 3b.

#22    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,172 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:48 AM

View PostMichaelW, on 23 September 2012 - 04:55 AM, said:

But the climate in Ireland hasn't been cooling for over 30 years has it? All our temperature records have been set in the 1970's and it's only been within the last year or so that the climate has come even remotely close to breaking them.

However, the freaky weather does have some benefits. Some of our ski resorts received some late snow and are now open until November.
Precipitation in the west of ireland has been increasing steadily for about a  century at this stage, The records that are currently been set almost anually are records for the last century and where possible beyond.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#23    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 4,268 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

Less salt used on the roads.

#24    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,981 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

• It is time to put the big guns down now, Little Boys!

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

Greenhouse gas carbon dioxide ramps up aspen growth
... MADISON — The rising level of atmospheric carbon dioxide may be fueling more than climate change. It could also be making ... could also be making some trees grow like crazy. ... most important and widespread deciduous trees.
http://www.eurekaler...w-ggc120109.php- 9.2KB - Public Press Releases
I love the University of Wisc. Madison. What a great college!!

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema
(quote from THE BIBLE FRAUD)

Robert Heinlein: SECRECY IS THE HALLMARK OF TYRANNY!

#25    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,981 posts
  • Location:All my posts are my own views, my own perceptions. Will not be finding links for why I think the way I do.

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

Somewhere I read a piece of research that talks about global warming increasing biodiversity. But there is also reseaarch that says just the opposite.

Truth is such a rare quality, a stranger so seldom met in this civilization of fraud, that it is never received freely, but must fight its way into the world
Professor Hilton Hotema

#26    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,981 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

I think the most positive thing about the climate change is that, if you are aware of the things you can do for yourself, we are now able to consciously adapt to those changes. Probably that was true with man all long his evolution. But this time, we have some really great tools for aiding adaption.

Professor Hilton Hotema

#27    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,172 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 04 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

View Postregeneratia, on 04 October 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

I think the most positive thing about the climate change is that, if you are aware of the things you can do for yourself, we are now able to consciously adapt to those changes. Probably that was true with man all long his evolution. But this time, we have some really great tools for aiding adaption.
Our agriculture has developed over 2000yrs of relatively stable climate and is highly adapted to local conditions. Adapting to climate change sounds great in theory - until you try to move a crop a 100miles north or south, or you attempt to grow crops in land which has become permanently desiccated or waterlogged. In order to even attempt such shifts would require command style Government planning of a type despised by the very Conservatives who advocate adaption. Otherwise how is a farmer (who knows how to farm his land) going to shift his crop to the place where he knows how to farm.

It really is a bit of a pipe dream to say that we can just simply adapt to the inevitable changes. Its pure filibustering propaganda.

Br Cornelius

Robert Anton Wilson

#28    regeneratia

regeneratia

Government Agent

• 3,981 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:04 AM

Yeah, taht is what we are told. But sometimes we get lied to by lots of different people.
They have had to take a look at the math done long ago, and perhaps reverse a few things. Why not do it with CO2 as well? And then we find that, while once thought to be inert or inaccessible, ancient CO2 is being released into the atmosphere from lakes and rivers, giving far more insight into the earth's feedback loops. Oh dear, just today that news comes out.

It really is so much safer to sit on the fence and watch it all happen, without having to take a side one way or the other. Just sit back. Be objective. Aspire to be like Doug as I do. And maybe we will learn something in the detachment what comes from objectivity.

AS far as politics goes, there is no party that fits my sentiments. I am not extreme, and both parties are extreme. I don't have a side of the aisle. I am IN the aisile !!

OK, you go ahead and you itch and complain about this and that. I, here at home, will be adjusting my planting tables, saving seeds, growing things that don't presently fit my environment (right now it is tiny mango trees, beautiful and small). U will be itching and I will be adapting.

Evolution isn't for the mighty. It is for the most adaptable.

That farmer, and I come from a farm, learns to grow new things where he is at. He does not figure out where to move his farm, because very few farms move.

View PostBr Cornelius, on 04 October 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

Our agriculture has developed over 2000yrs of relatively stable climate and is highly adapted to local conditions. Adapting to climate change sounds great in theory - until you try to move a crop a 100miles north or south, or you attempt to grow crops in land which has become permanently desiccated or waterlogged. In order to even attempt such shifts would require command style Government planning of a type despised by the very Conservatives who advocate adaption. Otherwise how is a farmer (who knows how to farm his land) going to shift his crop to the place where he knows how to farm.

It really is a bit of a pipe dream to say that we can just simply adapt to the inevitable changes. Its pure filibustering propaganda.

Br Cornelius

Edited by regeneratia, 05 October 2012 - 06:15 AM.

Professor Hilton Hotema

#29    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,238 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostBr Cornelius, on 04 October 2012 - 05:38 PM, said:

In the US we already have the legal and governmental machinery in place to deal with the issue of changes in cropping.  It is a happy accident of our own history and nothing we deliberately set out to do.  It's done through the crop insurance program:  the government simply adjusts the price of insurance for different crops in different locations.  Nothing more than an actuarial process.  In risky areas, the cost of insuring a given crop goes up; in safer areas it goes down.  The market does the rest.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#30    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,238 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:03 PM

View Postregeneratia, on 05 October 2012 - 06:04 AM, said:

AS far as politics goes, there is no party that fits my sentiments. I am not extreme, and both parties are extreme. I don't have a side of the aisle. I am IN the aisile !!
"Politicians are happy if scientists provide information and then go away and shut up.  But science and policy cannot be divorced.  What I've seen is that politicians often adopt policies that are merely convenient - but that, using readily-available scientific data and empirical information, can be shown to be inconsistent with long-term success."  --Jim Hansen

Bold:  cap-and-trade, for example.

For a review of the politics of global warming, see "Storms of My Grandchildren" by James Hansen.  ISBN 13:978-1608195022.

Also, "The Hockey Stick and the Climate Wars:  Dispatches from the Front Lines" by Michael Mann.  Clumbia University Press, New York.  ISBN 978-0-231-15254-9 and ISBN 978-0-52638-8.

Hansen is better with the politics, but Mann explains the science better, though you can get good info from both.

Another good one is:  "Global Warming:  The Complete Briefing" by John Houghton.  Second edition, Cambridge University Press.  ISBN 0-521-62089-9 and ISBN 0-521-62932-2.
Doug

Edited by Doug1o29, 05 October 2012 - 01:13 PM.

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users