Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Unsolved Serial Killings Map

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,946 posts

• I might have been born yesterday but, I've been up all night.

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:00 AM

H.H. Holmes, on 09 September 2012 - 04:43 AM, said:

Good suggestions, but I am kind of limited by what I can do with the google maps editing features. I don't know about color coding, I guess I can look into it.

Bear with me. I took an intensive course in college called 'instructional design' (i.e. how people learn) about 22 years ago. Computers then hadn't caught up yet, and I'm waaay behind the times technologically.

If you can crack the color coding 'code', I'd suggest a rainbow effect for the decades;

Red = Current, post 2000
Orange = 1990's
Yellow = 1980's
Green = 1970's
Blue = 1960's
Purple = 1950's

Now's the time to make suggestions before you're too far into your project. :)

Edited by Likely Guy, 10 September 2012 - 04:16 AM.

#17    HMS Dreadnought

HMS Dreadnought

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:25 PM

Are there any books specifically on unsolved serial killings?

Dear you guys. Words cannot express how much I hate you guys. As we fight our way northward into the great unknown, only that one thing remains certain: that I hate you guys with every tired muscle in my confederate body. We have taken Topeka and I must rally the men onward to Missouri. Because I will not stop until we have won it all, and you guys are my slaves. Because I hate you guys. I hate you guys so very very much. Yours, General Cartman Lee.

#18    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,946 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

HMS Dreadnought, on 10 September 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

HH Holmes wrote:
Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

"I've recently bought a book called the "Encyclopedia of Unsolved Crimes", it is a huge and volumous book. I've sifted through much of it to get to some of the more interesting cases."

Don't know of any specific to serial killings.

Now that I reread your post you were asking 'specifically'. So my post didn't help you at all. Sorry.

Edited by Likely Guy, 10 September 2012 - 05:00 PM.

#19    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,946 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

HMS Dreadnought, on 10 September 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

http://www.amazon.co...l/dp/0753506815

#20    H.H. Holmes

H.H. Holmes

Rebel Without A Cause

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,672 posts

• I'm going platinum...

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

Likely Guy, on 10 September 2012 - 04:00 AM, said:

Bear with me. I took an intensive course in college called 'instructional design' (i.e. how people learn) about 22 years ago. Computers then hadn't caught up yet, and I'm waaay behind the times technologically.

If you can crack the color coding 'code', I'd suggest a rainbow effect for the decades;

Red = Current, post 2000
Orange = 1990's
Yellow = 1980's
Green = 1970's
Blue = 1960's
Purple = 1950's

Now's the time to make suggestions before you're too far into your project. :)

Thanks, I'm going to take the interactive tutorial that Google maps offers. Hopefully, it will show me how to color code like you suggested.

There is a small concern with the color coding by decade, since some of these strings of murders span across two decades. It would make it a little difficult to categorize crimes that, for instance, began in the late-70's and continued into the early-80's.

Maybe some other criteria could be used as a basis for the color coding?

Knowledge Speaks, Wisdom Listens- Jimi Hendrix
Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it.-Friedrich Nietzsche
The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity.-Lucius Annaeus Seneca
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.-Mohandas Gandhi

#21    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,946 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:04 PM

H.H. Holmes, on 10 September 2012 - 05:26 PM, said:

Thanks, I'm going to take the interactive tutorial that Google maps offers. Hopefully, it will show me how to color code like you suggested.

There is a small concern with the color coding by decade, since some of these strings of murders span across two decades. It would make it a little difficult to categorize crimes that, for instance, began in the late-70's and continued into the early-80's.

Maybe some other criteria could be used as a basis for the color coding?
You would have to establish your parameter somewhere. For example, a group of killings that start in 1979 and extended to 1982 would be green, because it started in the 70's. Or you could decide to color it yellow because most of the years occur in the 80's. You'd just have to explain that somewhere on your map.Also not sure how wide the color palette is with google maps (eg. lime green which is in between yellow and green) but you'll find that out in the tutorial I guess.

#22    HMS Dreadnought

HMS Dreadnought

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

Likely Guy, on 10 September 2012 - 05:04 PM, said:

Cheers for that mate :tu:

Dear you guys. Words cannot express how much I hate you guys. As we fight our way northward into the great unknown, only that one thing remains certain: that I hate you guys with every tired muscle in my confederate body. We have taken Topeka and I must rally the men onward to Missouri. Because I will not stop until we have won it all, and you guys are my slaves. Because I hate you guys. I hate you guys so very very much. Yours, General Cartman Lee.

#23    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,758 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:20 PM

Here are three from my state (Oklahoma)...

1. "The Girl Scout Murders" - 13 June 1977 ... 3 young Girl Scouts (age 10) taken out of their tents at camp and bludgeoned to death... in Tulsa

2. "The State Fair Murders" - 26 Aug 1981 ... 2 13 year old girls hired to 'unload stuffed animals' at the State Fair - disappear - never found...  3 days later two 16 year old girls also disappear from the State Fair in Oklahoma City - never found.

3. From 1999 to 2003 - Five women working as prostitutes in Lawton, Oklahoma are found murdered along Cache Road.. .Linked to 1 killer by OSBI (OKlahoma State Bureau of Investigation)  - not solved...

Edited by Taun, 11 September 2012 - 03:21 PM.

#24    H.H. Holmes

H.H. Holmes

Rebel Without A Cause

• 1,672 posts

• I'm going platinum...

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

Taun, on 11 September 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

Here are three from my state (Oklahoma)...

1. "The Girl Scout Murders" - 13 June 1977 ... 3 young Girl Scouts (age 10) taken out of their tents at camp and bludgeoned to death... in Tulsa

2. "The State Fair Murders" - 26 Aug 1981 ... 2 13 year old girls hired to 'unload stuffed animals' at the State Fair - disappear - never found...  3 days later two 16 year old girls also disappear from the State Fair in Oklahoma City - never found.

3. From 1999 to 2003 - Five women working as prostitutes in Lawton, Oklahoma are found murdered along Cache Road.. .Linked to 1 killer by OSBI (OKlahoma State Bureau of Investigation)  - not solved...

Feel free to add them to the map, it would be good to collaborate.

Admiration for a quality or an art can be so strong that it deters us from striving to possess it.-Friedrich Nietzsche
The day which we fear as our last is but the birthday of eternity.-Lucius Annaeus Seneca
You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.-Mohandas Gandhi

#25    Taun

Taun

• 5,758 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

H.H. Holmes, on 11 September 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

Feel free to add them to the map, it would be good to collaborate.

Maybe I'm 'thick' or something... but it's not working for me... I've tried several times over the past few days and all I accomplished was to add a lake (by accident) which I was able to delete....

#26    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,059 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

Taun, on 17 September 2012 - 03:16 PM, said:

Maybe I'm 'thick' or something... but it's not working for me... I've tried several times over the past few days and all I accomplished was to add a lake (by accident) which I was able to delete....

You are doing better than I am.. I can't get it to edit at all. I figured it was because the collaboration options weren't turned on.

#27    Taun

Taun

• 5,758 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

rashore, on 17 September 2012 - 03:44 PM, said:

You are doing better than I am.. I can't get it to edit at all. I figured it was because the collaboration options weren't turned on.

That's because I have decades of experience in programming and computers to help me get further before I get stuck! :tsu:

#28    H.H. Holmes

H.H. Holmes

Rebel Without A Cause

• 1,672 posts

• I'm going platinum...

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

Sorry for the delayed update to this thread.

I added a few more unknown serial killings to the map, including two "Jack the Ripper"s one from Atlanta and the other from New York who were active in the 1910's, both were much different in their choice of victims.

The "Atlanta Ripper" case is very interesting and shares many similarities to both the original Jack the Ripper crimes (mutilation of sexual organs and no apparent sexual assault) and to a string of over 40 axe murders of mulatto women that occurred during the same time period (the 20 victims of the Atlanta killer were all mulatto, also both cases went unsolved). It is safe to assume that this was not the work of the original ripper who, for some reason, moved to Atlanta, since the time frame would be extreme and the only witness report described a well dressed black man. However, the string of axe murders is interesting to consider with the similarities in victim type and the close (perhaps overlapping) time frame between the two murders. I will add an entry on the Axe Murders once I get to it's place in the book and I will try to search the internet for other information. There was also the New Orleans Axeman who was also active earlier in the century, although most of his victims were white couples.  

I am trying to be more descriptive without taking too much from the book. I hope my new entries shed a little more light on each case more thoroughly.

To the question about editing the map: As far as I am aware the map in set to "public" access, so there shouldn't be any trouble adding your own entries. I'll double check to make sure it is open to the public, but I am almost positive it has been set to allow anyone to edit it.

Edited by H.H. Holmes, 13 November 2012 - 11:36 PM.

#29    Lucas North-justiceseeker

Lucas North-justiceseeker

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:12 AM

Here are three from Arizona;Angela Brosso-november 8th 1992 and Melanie Bernas-September 21st 1993 in Phoenix both were linked through forensic evidence.In a seperate case Diana Vicari fron October 23 1992 in Tuscon.All 3 were never solved,but I am working on changing that,email me if you want more info on these cases.Good luck with your list.

#30    rebelrena

rebelrena

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

The police never believed that Joann and Roberts murders were connected to the Orchard Apartment Murders. Alys Rankin as well as Roberts head have never been found to date, and wether it was the same killer or a copycat, as they thought at the time...they got away scott free.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users