Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Price of Gas ... a conspiracy?

conspiracy gas middle east

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

Natural Gas vs. Gasoline, from "How Stuff Works":

The difference is the number of atoms in each molecule. With natural gas, the molecule is very small. There is one carbon atom with four hydrogen atoms bonded to it. Gasoline, on the other hand, is made of eight carbon atoms chained together with 18 hydrogen atoms bonded to the chain.

This means that natural gas is very light – lighter than air in fact – and always a gas at normal temperatures and pressures. Gasoline is much heavier and is always a liquid at normal temperatures and pressures.

Natural gas is also “cleaner” than gasoline from a carbon standpoint. In a natural gas molecule, there are four times as many hydrogen atoms as carbon atoms. In gasoline, the ratio is closer to 2-to-1.

The problem with natural gas from a vehicle standpoint is that it is harder to store than gasoline. Compressing natural gas requires energy, and a tank of compressed natural gas is much larger than a tank of gasoline that contains the same amount of energy.

#17    blind pew

blind pew

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

We will keep paying this ridiculous price for gas until we stop becoming a nation of sheep. What did the people do 300 years ago when england added more tax on tea? They fought back because they had balls then. What happened to our balls America? Those people back then didnt b**** moan and conplain they did something about it. So gas will continue to go up and we will continue to pay until we grow our balls back.

#18    Mantis914

Mantis914

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

• You have shown me a strange image, and they are strange prisoners. Plato

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 10 September 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

I guess you missed the storm which blew through the Gulf of Mexico at the end of August. It's all right. Most people unaffected by things like this tend to ignore it. When a hurricane blows through the Gulf of Mexico, all affected oil rigs - and there are many more than you think - shut down so no oil is being pumped out. This has a HUGE impact on the price of gas. Especially if we are trying to become less reliant on foreign oil.

I don't buy that.  Storms over, workers all long been back to work and the gas is even higher now and besides any oil that we're short of could come from our reserves if needed.  We were also told the summer blend is ending and prices should go down with that but i have yet to see the price go any direction but up...

#19    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 5,030 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

Um... they haven't been back to work that long and yes we have reserves that can be used, but the price of gas today is determined by its availability in the future. So if something had happened to any number of the rigs in the Gulf, the future availability of whatever they produce would be in question.

Edited by Lady Kasey, 11 September 2012 - 04:18 PM.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#20    RaptorBites

RaptorBites

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

View Postblind pew, on 11 September 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

We will keep paying this ridiculous price for gas until we stop becoming a nation of sheep. What did the people do 300 years ago when england added more tax on tea? They fought back because they had balls then. What happened to our balls America? Those people back then didnt b**** moan and conplain they did something about it. So gas will continue to go up and we will continue to pay until we grow our balls back.

The problem is that Fuel is not a renewable resource.  Tea can be cultivated and grown over and over again.  Conventional fuel is not a renewable resource, so unfortunately, we are at the mercy of the Oil companies.

Plus the fact that the state can raises takes on fuel if they wanted to.

No, you surround yourself with a whole different kettle of crazy. - Sir Wearer of Hats

#21    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,721 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

View PostSpid3rCyd3, on 11 September 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

The problem with natural gas from a vehicle standpoint is that it is harder to store than gasoline. Compressing natural gas requires energy, and a tank of compressed natural gas is much larger than a tank of gasoline that contains the same amount of energy.

After giving this a little more thought, I wonder if there's any cheap, efficient additives that could make up some of that difference between the two while maintaining a cheaper cost point than gasoline, at the same time.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3, 11 September 2012 - 07:14 PM.

#22    Eluus

Eluus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

For the last few weeks price of oil is going up because of the anticipation of further "quantitative easing" by FED. This Thursday FED will have a press conference regarding QE. After this QE is priced in (assuming it will happen as anticipated), the price of oil should start heading down.

There is no other reason the price of oil should increase really, especially in US. It should start going down with a good pace because there is not enough demand for oil to support this prices. US economy isn't expanding, Europe is on the edge of collapsing. Even Chinese growth is slowing down rapidly. Besides, oil is not as scarce as most people think. This article explains why we will probably never run out of oil.

Edited by MOON IS FAKE, 11 September 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#23    Eluus

Eluus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

Sorry the link is for the second page of the article, if you want to read it click here.

#24    skyeagle409

skyeagle409

Forum Divinity

• 30,404 posts

• Keep Your Mach Up and Check Six

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:45 AM

View PostRaptorBites, on 11 September 2012 - 05:17 PM, said:

The problem is that Fuel is not a renewable resource.  Tea can be cultivated and grown over and over again.  Conventional fuel is not a renewable resource, so unfortunately, we are at the mercy of the Oil companies.

Plus the fact that the state can raises takes on fuel if they wanted to.

I agree. I can still remember all of those oil tankers sitting on the bay between San Francisco and Oakland during the 1970s.

There were so many tankers in the bay that you could practically walk on the tankers from San Francisco to Oakland. My next door neighbor worked at the Exon refinery in Benicia, CA. I eventually learned that Exon was hoarding oil to create an artificial shortage in order to raise gas prices. In fact, their storage tanks were already filled to the max, trucks were called in to help store the overload of oil and yet, I kept thinking of all of those tankers sitting in the bay waiting to off-load their oil.

KEEP YOUR MACH UP AND CHECK SIX

#25    acidhead

acidhead

Were Not Your Slaves!

• 10,513 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:17 AM

View PostMOON IS FAKE, on 11 September 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

For the last few weeks price of oil is going up because of the anticipation of further "quantitative easing" by FED. This Thursday FED will have a press conference regarding QE. After this QE is priced in (assuming it will happen as anticipated), the price of oil should start heading down.

There is no other reason the price of oil should increase really, especially in US. It should start going down with a good pace because there is not enough demand for oil to support this prices. US economy isn't expanding, Europe is on the edge of collapsing. Even Chinese growth is slowing down rapidly. Besides, oil is not as scarce as most people think. This article explains why we will probably never run out of oil.

Gold also spiked over the last week too.

"there is no wrong or right - just popular opinion"

#26    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,434 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:45 AM

In 1955 my parents bought me Two Ounces of Gold and had it mad into a pair of baby shoes and put it in a bank box for safe keeping. I found it not too long ago digging thru old safe boxes and thought ? Man I need to sell this , But I can never Sell this ! BUt IT would buy a lot of Gas today thats for sure ! Everything IS relative ! :tu:

p.s. by the way Gold was 31 dollars an ounce then!

Edited by DONTEATUS, 16 September 2012 - 02:46 AM.

This is a Work in Progress!

Also tagged with conspiracy, gas, middle east

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users