Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What's the deal with Scorpios?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#46    JamieSymptom

JamieSymptom

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

View Posttyrant lizard, on 11 September 2012 - 03:57 PM, said:

nice avatar!

Gojira Ichiban!

View Post747400, on 11 September 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

I think there's a world of difference between horoscopes, which are just something to fill a column in a newspaper, and the whole huge and very complex subject of astrology (as suggested in the post by Wandering just above). I know Skeptics will say that there's still no scientific proof, as they say about everything, but even if there isn't, it's still a much larger subject than that.

Oh there is more to the subject than my condescending dismissive last post, but it is definitely all hogwash. Of all the factors which could influence one's 'personality' (a fluid concept throughout one's life anyway), which day of the year and the positional state of celestial bodies are not amongst them.

If astrology did have any reality behind it, it would be as accepted as a mainstream branch of science. The whole idea of astrology is that you can measure and predict, which would be great if the measurements and predictions weren't just made up.

Where is the purpose in listing character traits for people born in a certain month, when the eligible population will have a hit rate of anything between 0% and 100% - what on earth is that supposed to prove?

Posted Image

#47    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,197 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:30 AM

View PostJamieSymptom, on 12 September 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

If astrology did have any reality behind it, it would be as accepted as a mainstream branch of science. The whole idea of astrology is that you can measure and predict, which would be great if the measurements and predictions weren't just made up.

I have to agree, there's really no scientific evidence that astrology actually works.

Where is the purpose in listing character traits for people born in a certain month, when the eligible population will have a hit rate of anything between 0% and 100% - what on earth is that supposed to prove?

Exactly, one can find some Scorpio's that fit the description to a tee...and others that simply do not. I highly suspect a person's personality/character to be a result of genetics and life experiences...not the position of stars and planets.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#48    and then

and then

Abyssus Abyssum Invocat

• 15,007 posts

• Because what came before never seems enough...

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

View PostLilly, on 12 September 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

I have to agree, there's really no scientific evidence that astrology actually works.

Exactly, one can find some Scorpio's that fit the description to a tee...and others that simply do not. I highly suspect a person's personality/character to be a result of genetics and life experiences...not the position of stars and planets.
I've seen personality characteristics tied to blood type as well and mine fit very well for my type - AB-

We've cast the world, we've set the stage,
  for what could be, the darkest age...
“This is like playing poker with a guy who cheated you twice before. You know who does that, a moron.

#49    Wandering

Wandering

Conspiracy Theorist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

View PostLilly, on 12 September 2012 - 10:30 AM, said:

I didn't convince you?

Sigh! :wub:  Scorpios might not be what I want to marry, but they are certainly worth putting in some effort to get to know! ;)

#50    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,720 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

:blink:

Never gonna give you up. Never gonna let you down. Never gonna run around and desert you. Never gonna make you cry. Never gonna say goodbye. Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you.

#51    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,197 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

View PostWandering, on 12 September 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

I didn't convince you?

Nope, nothing personal. I just don't ascribe to the notion that planets and stars have any influence upon human personality development.

Sigh! :wub:  Scorpios might not be what I want to marry, but they are certainly worth putting in some effort to get to know! ;)

Uh...I'm probably about your Mom's age. I have no interest in ever marrying again and have high moral and ethical standards.

Posted Image

#52    Sun Raven

Sun Raven

Alpha & Omega

• 1,638 posts

• I am the master of my fate.
    I am the captain of my soul

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

As someone has already mentioned. This is worse than racism.

As stupid as it can get.

My father is a Scorpio, and he is one of the most admirable persons I have ever met. A great husband and a great father.

Posted Image

Sun Raven

#53    Wandering

Wandering

Conspiracy Theorist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:14 PM

View PostDaughter of the Nine Moons, on 12 September 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

:blink:

View PostLilly, on 12 September 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

Nope, nothing personal. I just don't ascribe to the notion that planets and stars have any influence upon human personality development.

Uh...I'm probably about your Mom's age. I have no interest in ever marrying again and have high moral and ethical standards.

I'll consider it a work in progress then. :P

View PostAlex01, on 12 September 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

As someone has already mentioned. This is worse than racism.

As stupid as it can get.

My father is a Scorpio, and he is one of the most admirable persons I have ever met. A great husband and a great father.

Are you sure It's as stupid as It gets? Because I just saw the stupidest comment... Someone who seems to think because their father is a Scorpio means he can't be a great husband or father. :rolleyes:

Hey, maybe I'm wrong though. Could you provide a link to where you read that Scorpios can't have positive traits?

Edited by Wandering, 12 September 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#54    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

misanthropic nihilist

• 26,152 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

This -> http://www.astrology...com/scorpio.htm  (I've forgotten how to do the bit where you can go like This again, but that'll do); anyway, what was I saying, yes, that has quite an interesting summary. Take it, naturally, with a pinch of salt, but there it is, anyway.

(Incidentally, I'm pleased that they still regard Pluto as a Planet. Yeah, so there, Astronomers. :yes:  )

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#55    Mike D boy

Mike D boy

...from the Desert...

• 2,676 posts

• he's Native and Indio-geneous to the Americas.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:16 PM

In personal compatibility rates, Scorpios as a water sign relate best with Cancers and Pisces, and with fixed signs like Aquarius, Taurus and Leo to explain a few members descriptions of how good they get along with Scorpios. According to the new "sidereal" astrological zodiac, I'm a day after Capricorn ends not 3 days until Pisces starts, therefore my relations with the signs are altered to a whole new level. I tend to relate with Virgo more than air signs Gemini and Libra, and winter sign Capricorn shares Aquarius' ruling planets Saturn and Uranus. The problem is daily astrological horoscopes are meant for individuals not whole sign groups in newspapers we often read are solely for entertainment purposes, and they focus on the horary (solar) aspects, not give much on entire detail of the planets' positions to personally affect the individual.

Edited by Quake Storm Maverick 66er, 12 September 2012 - 08:17 PM.

:innocent: The Truth is Out There - the X Files. :alien:

#56    Sun Raven

Sun Raven

Alpha & Omega

• 1,638 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:40 AM

View PostWandering, on 12 September 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

I'll consider it a work in progress then. :P

Are you sure It's as stupid as It gets? Because I just saw the stupidest comment... Someone who seems to think because their father is a Scorpio means he can't be a great husband or father. :rolleyes:

Hey, maybe I'm wrong though. Could you provide a link to where you read that Scorpios can't have positive traits?

I think you got me wrong? Perhaps entirely.

I was actually defending Scorpio against all this nonsense. (I'm a Scorpio myself).

View PostQuake Storm Maverick 66er, on 12 September 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

In personal compatibility rates, Scorpios as a water sign relate best with Cancers and Pisces, and with fixed signs like Aquarius, Taurus and Leo to explain a few members descriptions of how good they get along with Scorpios. According to the new "sidereal" astrological zodiac, I'm a day after Capricorn ends not 3 days until Pisces starts, therefore my relations with the signs are altered to a whole new level. I tend to relate with Virgo more than air signs Gemini and Libra, and winter sign Capricorn shares Aquarius' ruling planets Saturn and Uranus. The problem is daily astrological horoscopes are meant for individuals not whole sign groups in newspapers we often read are solely for entertainment purposes, and they focus on the horary (solar) aspects, not give much on entire detail of the planets' positions to personally affect the individual.

Capricorn has always been Scorpio's strongest ally.

Posted Image

Sun Raven

#57    Wandering

Wandering

Conspiracy Theorist

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:48 AM

View PostAlex01, on 13 September 2012 - 05:40 AM, said:

I think you got me wrong? Perhaps entirely.

I was actually defending Scorpio against all this nonsense. (I'm a Scorpio myself).

Capricorn has always been Scorpio's strongest ally.

Oh I see.

My bad.

Could you clarify what you were aiming the 'worse than racism' and 'as stupid as it gets' at? The fact that people on here are saying "Scorpios are ALL like this" or Astrology in general?

#58    Sun Raven

Sun Raven

Alpha & Omega

• 1,638 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

View PostWandering, on 13 September 2012 - 05:48 AM, said:

Oh I see.

My bad.

Could you clarify what you were aiming the 'worse than racism' and 'as stupid as it gets' at? The fact that people on here are saying "Scorpios are ALL like this" or Astrology in general?

The fact that people are bashing down on other human beings because of their astrological sign which derives from an uncertain art such as the Zodiac with no credibility whatsoever to this day! That is worse than racism.

People are being judged and sentenced unfairly over something with no legimitacy in any sort of science.

And even if we were to judge, my verdict would be quite the opposite to what has been said in this thread. Most of the Scorpios I've met are one of the greatest people I've ever met in my entire life. In fact, most of the Scorpios that have appeared in this topic have come to claim that they're the direct opposite of what has been said about them. I myself am a Scorpio, and I by no means characterize myself with the awful things that have been said in this thread. Let me summarize:

View PostQuake Storm Maverick 66er, on 10 September 2012 - 06:39 AM, said:

The reputation Scorpios have is a bad wrap: they are strong, self-efficient and doesn't accept nothing to lower themselves, Scorpios are the anti-heroes of the astrological zodiac.

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 10 September 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

Scorpio have a mean streak ,a mile wide. They also enjoy hurting people who love them . Yah

View PostWearer of Hats, on 10 September 2012 - 07:06 AM, said:

Nasty little beasties, Scorpios, especially that stinging tail. Although I'm told the bigger the claws the smaller the sting/venom....

View PostWandering, on 11 September 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

Put it this way, I won't be marrying a Scorpio! ;)

View Postemberdawn, on 10 September 2012 - 08:47 PM, said:

Sorry this wasn't meant to be mean. Trying to understand why they get such a bad rap when they are usually gentle loving people. I have heard them called demon spawn, deviants, sexual  pervs, dishonest, back stabbing, evil, mobile homes for demons, not worth marrying because they can't be loyal. Just trying trying to enlighten.  My friend asked her mom why people do what they do to her. Her mom turned around  and casually said " because your a Scorpio" ???? "really"  ????

Come on people, seriously? We are not villains because of an astrological sign!

Edited by Alex01, 13 September 2012 - 10:14 AM.

Posted Image

Sun Raven

#59    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 17,197 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:34 AM

You know what Alex, perhaps we should just give up and roll with 'being evil'? Kinda like, "Yeah, we're bad azz and we know it". I mean, why fight it, right?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#60    Viviana98

Viviana98

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

I'm a Scorpio and my older brother is too. We do have a bit of a mean streak but never unprovoked. Scorpio is known to be the most loyal friend you will/can ever have in all the zodiac and that rings true for pretty most every Scorpio I've ever met. We are also the most misunderstood and mysterious out of all signs....so they say ;)   I'm guessing they're right because we do have a pretty bad rap. Basically its the best of all the signs and anyone born under it is amazing! :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users