Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Man in China claims to live only on water

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#31    Jeremiah65

Jeremiah65

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts

• "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

This sounds like "hooey" to me.  Wasn't their a Hindu guru a few years back that swore he lived only on air?  If I recall, they caught him sneaking a few bites of food while he was being observed.

"Liberty means responsibility.  That is why most men dread it."  George Bernard Shaw
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."  Thomas Jefferson

Posted Image

#32    Galilei

Galilei

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

• "Every dreamer knows that it is entirely possible to be homesick for a place you’ve never been to." —Judith Thurman

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:56 PM

View PostRyegrog, on 10 September 2012 - 10:15 PM, said:

If there is some truth to this, you suppose the water contains nutrients such as protein that would substain him?

Pure water does not contain protein.

Contaminated water might, but it will still probably be negligible, and metabolically irrelevant, provided we're not dealing with sewage or significant levels of contamination. Such water would most certainly leave him very ill.

#33    MissMelsWell

MissMelsWell

Cosmic Baker

• 13,158 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:09 AM

Technically it is possible to live without ever "eating" anything other than water. There are IV solutions that are given to comatose patients who arne't consious to eat that keeps them alive. But actually living on water and water alone... impossible unless that water has some kind of caloric content..

"It's time for the American people to stand up and shrug off the shackles of our government at TSA at the airport"  Ron Paul

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

#34    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:15 AM

I can live off of all 400 posts I've cumulated and nothing more. Newz plz?

Posted Image

~MEH~

#35    spursfan

spursfan

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:26 AM

what a load of rubbish !

#36    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 1,542 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:42 AM

View PostGalilei, on 10 September 2012 - 11:56 PM, said:

Contaminated water might, but it will still probably be negligible, and metabolically irrelevant, provided we're not dealing with sewage or significant levels of contamination. Such water would most certainly leave him very ill.

I know that pure water doesn't contain protein and such. I'm just wondering if he's enhancing
the H2O and failing to mention it just so he can get his 15 minutes of fame. If it's even feasible
to live like that.

It's good to have some skepticism so you won't be gullible & naïve. But to much of it can make you arrogant & egotistical.

#37    Arpee

Arpee

.::The Spirit Gives Life::.

• 1,366 posts

• ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love." - 1 John 4:8

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:44 AM

View PostFlyingAngel, on 10 September 2012 - 12:46 PM, said:

Impossible in term of science

Correct. Impossible in terms of known science. It's possible that our understanding could be inaccurate. Some so called "scientific" people are so closed-minded.

Love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing in return; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the ungrateful and to the evil. - Luke 6:35

#38    csspwns

csspwns

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

• "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:44 AM

View PostGalilei, on 10 September 2012 - 11:56 PM, said:

excuse me for bashing you but in the article it doesnt say PURE WATER. it just said water so he might be drinking VITAMIN WATER and when he gets discovered that it wasnt pure water he would probably say, "buts its still WATER! see vitamin WATER!" lol just a theory

"If god doesn't like the way I live, let him tell me, not you." "A believer is not a thinker and a thinker is not a believer." - Marian Noel Sherman, M.D.

"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned."

#39    Galilei

Galilei

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

• "Every dreamer knows that it is entirely possible to be homesick for a place you’ve never been to." —Judith Thurman

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:18 AM

View Postcsspwns, on 11 September 2012 - 02:44 AM, said:

excuse me for bashing you but in the article it doesnt say PURE WATER. it just said water so he might be drinking VITAMIN WATER and when he gets discovered that it wasnt pure water he would probably say, "buts its still WATER! see vitamin WATER!" lol just a theory

I don't consider it a bash, it's an idea :P If he were drinking vitamin water, I still don't think it would be possible considering vitamin water doesn't provide every vital nutrient.

#40    Zaphod222

Zaphod222

Psychic Spy

• 1,594 posts

• When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.
    (Oscar Wilde)

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:26 AM

One can survive on water alone for a long time. All it needs to perpetuate the scam is to slip in some compact food occasionally.

There is really nothing to see here... this dude just wants to get in the news.

#41    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:26 AM

If say ,he lived in some high mountains,where the spring water had salts minerals and organisms in it naturally ,well ~mmmaaayybbe~,and only if he drank copious amounts of it .
He's in Guangdong ,which is across from Hong Kong .
Ummm,no. Not even close .

Miss me?

#42    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:40 AM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 10 September 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

What a pile of crap!

I remember hearing of an American woman who made similar claims, She was a fraud and created all sorts of issues for the 'gullible' people that tried to followed her example.

Stories like this appear every now and then and they disappear just as quickly once the claim is put to the test.

*nevermind*  I think that post would have gone a bit far.  retracted.

Edited by orangepeaceful79, 11 September 2012 - 03:41 AM.

#43    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:22 AM

Wish they included a photo of this man, he must be a skeleton.  If he isn't taking in any calories his body will literally start eating itself.

As an ex nurse, i've seen terminal patients slowly fade out this way, even with nutrients pumped directly into their stomachs they'd lose weight more detrimentally they'd lose muscle mass, very quickly.

This young man is getting calories from somewhere otherwise he wouldn't last 22 years.

Sounds to me like he is anorexic.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#44    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:35 AM

I've seen people who seemed to live on cigarettes, but no, not water alone. Beer maybe.

#45    CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

• Without going out of my door
    I can know all things of earth
    Without looking out of my window
    I could know the ways of heaven

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

Ha ha put him to the test and lets see how long he can last. What a lot of rubbish. :td:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users