Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Serpent and the Sun

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

• If you stare into the abyss,the abyss stares back into you

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

The serpent and the sun were almost universally worshipped or revered by all the people of the world at some point of time or the other,their reverence crosses cultural boundaries and geographic boundaries along with boundaries of time.If people can contribute by sharing images and knowledge of different cultures of the world revering or worshipping these then i would be very thankful.

#2    monk 56

monk 56

Psychic Spy

• 1,012 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

Obviously the Caduceus is a mixture of the ancient Greek and Egyptian religion, that came about with Alexander the Great's conquest of Egypt, link below:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caduceus

If this came from a more ancient source, i can't say, but religion is based on belief, therefore most would quote hermetic in regards to belief, and Hermes Trismegistus, whether or not this is true, is dubious, however link below:-

http://en.wikipedia....es_Trismegistus

#3    MiskatonicGrad

MiskatonicGrad

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

• "the natural progress of things is liberty to yield and goverment to gain ground." Thomas Jefferson

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

Ahhhh...... sun worshippers just the other day I was down at the beach watching them carry out their curious but beautiful rituals. I dare say I had quite the religious experience.

"Were we directed from Washington when to sow, and when to reap, we should soon want bread" --Thomas Jefferson(1821)

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session"--Mark Twain(1866)

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson(1800)

#4    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 13 September 2012 - 08:16 AM, said:

The serpent and the sun were almost universally worshipped or revered by all the people of the world at some point of time or the other,their reverence crosses cultural boundaries and geographic boundaries along with boundaries of time.If people can contribute by sharing images and knowledge of different cultures of the world revering or worshipping these then i would be very thankful.

You might want to read up on the Serer of West Africa:

http://www.unexplain...4

They venerated snakes and the sun.

#5    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 13 September 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

You might want to read up on the Serer of West Africa:

http://www.unexplain...4

They venerated snakes and the sun.
I know reading your forum inspired me to start this one.What is very difficult to imagine is that cultures which are historically supposed to be isolated from each other end up having the same beliefs.

#6    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,110 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 13 September 2012 - 09:56 AM, said:

I know reading your forum inspired me to start this one.What is very difficult to imagine is that cultures which are historically supposed to be isolated from each other end up having the same beliefs.

Well, in this case it may be different. Either the ancient Egyptians and the Serer both originated somewhere in between them, like the Tassili mountains,  or one was the ancestor of the other.

And then I am talking about long before there was any Egyptian dynasty.

During all these thousands of years certain religious ideas can spread far and wide.

Edited by Abramelin, 13 September 2012 - 10:26 AM.

#7    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 13 September 2012 - 10:23 AM, said:

Well, in this case it may be different. Either the ancient Egyptians and the Serer both originated somewhere in between them, like the Tassili mountains,  or one was the ancestor of the other.

And then I am talking about long before there was any Egyptian dynasty.

During all these thousands of years certain religious ideas can spread far and wide.

You are moving in the right direction i think,there has to be some point of convergence in all world civilizations and cultures and peoples at some particular time.

#8    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,655 posts

• I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. ~ Einstein

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

I think genetics is shedding some light on why some cultures, very distinct NOW from each other, share similar cultural ties and beliefs, like the Berbers and Sami people, one in North Africa, one in North Europe, but genetics shows a connection in them going back 7000BC or so. Even Native Americans who came from said Siberia area across Bering Strait share a cultural tie with those who didn't cross, so ancient beliefs can be found, similar in both cultures, even with thousands of years of separation.

The serpent for whatever reason seems to go hand in hand in ancient religions with healing, I read it over and over.

Edited by The Puzzler, 14 September 2012 - 01:43 PM.

In an mmm bop it's gone...

#9    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

View PostThe Puzzler, on 14 September 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

I think genetics is shedding some light on why some cultures, very distinct NOW from each other, share similar cultural ties and beliefs, like the Berbers and Sami people, one in North Africa, one in North Europe, but genetics shows a connection in them going back 7000BC or so. Even Native Americans who came from said Siberia area across Bering Strait share a cultural tie with those who didn't cross, so ancient beliefs can be found, similar in both cultures, even with thousands of years of separation.

The serpent for whatever reason seems to go hand in hand in ancient religions with healing, I read it over and over.
So what do you think is the half life or end time of such beliefs,more importantly why have they survived for so long?

#10    The Puzzler

The Puzzler

Forum Divinity

• 10,655 posts

• I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious. ~ Einstein

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:55 PM

View PostHarsh86_Patel, on 14 September 2012 - 03:08 PM, said:

So what do you think is the half life or end time of such beliefs,more importantly why have they survived for so long?

I think they survive because of the beliefs and faith of the ones practising it. Life spans of the beliefs would be variable but I think it's possible that some could go back to even 50,000 years ago or more.

In an mmm bop it's gone...

#11    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:02 AM

What I find interesting is that the serpent was revered by many ancient cultures...then along comes the serpent in the Garden of Eden.  Now in today's world the serpent and it's imagery are used to describe anything loathesome.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#12    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,066 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:05 AM

I think your right puzz and Abramelin,  about some ideas being very very durable as they travel with us.

..maybe too this durability is reinforced  because people are so very similar that they tend to feel and envision the same things? ... and create and recreate very similar ideas?  

could i get a winged sun disc with serpents?    Egyptian style    .. to go please?

Attached File  Egyptian winged disc+.jpg   126.15K   3 downloads

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#13    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 15 September 2012 - 01:12 AM

Not only the same beliefs.
Similar architecture, language, culture, even boatbuilding.
At some point there must have been a global civilization, prior to what is currently documented.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#14    Harsh86_Patel

Harsh86_Patel

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

View Postsynchronomy, on 15 September 2012 - 01:12 AM, said:

Not only the same beliefs.
Similar architecture, language, culture, even boatbuilding.
At some point there must have been a global civilization, prior to what is currently documented.
Be careful of being branded when you say things like this over here.

#15    BorisIWantToKnow

BorisIWantToKnow

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

• Credendo Vides, Seeing is Believing

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

I think the Maya civilization is the best example, though they worshiped Quetzalcoatl the "feathered serpent".
They've performed rituals that involved the sun and offerings to the Quetzalcoatl.

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users