Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ghosts and the Dark

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

View PostTheLastLazyGun, on 10 October 2012 - 07:00 PM, said:

Ghosts are supposed to be more active around 3am.  Paranormal investigators have actually dubbed this time of night "dead time" because it does seem that a very large proportion of ghosts sightings appear around that time.  So it seems that they tend to haunt more at that time.  Investigators aren't sure why this is the case.  One theory is..... dew.  It has been discovered that spirits seems to like dampness.  It appears to help them manifest.  It is around 3am that there is often a lot of dew on the ground.

But some believe that it ISN'T the case that ghosts apepar more at night but merely that our senses are more alert in the dark than they are in the light so we have a better chance of spotting them in the dark.

I've heard this too. I went for a reading from a spiritualist medium years ago, I never told her that I woke up nearly every night at 2.50am. But she told me that I did and that a spirit was trying to connect with me. I never experience any contact but it went on for nearly a year, which was weird. Who know's!?

#17    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,435 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

View Postpoetofsheba, on 10 October 2012 - 07:43 PM, said:

The idea of 3am is from "The exorcism of Emily Rose" (2003) where it's said that 3am is the devil's hour because it's the opposite of 3pm where Jesus supposedly died. So it's a fairly new idea that for some reason have been widely accepted in the paranormal community as the most active time of day - (I haven't seen any earlier references to 3am, but if they exist I'd like to read more about it)

Not correct, an earlier film reference off the top of my head is the 1980 movie  The Changeling featuring George C Scott which also used 3am as the "Witching Hour".

One does not simply walk into Mordor.

#18    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:08 PM

View PostDaughter of the Nine Moons, on 10 October 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

Not correct, an earlier film reference off the top of my head is the 1980 movie  The Changeling featuring George C Scott which also used 3am as the "Witching Hour".

And I've known about it for 16 years.

#19    poetofsheba

poetofsheba

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

• Non est ad astra mollis e terris via

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

Thank you I couldn't find any references when looking for "Devil's hour" - apparently I didn't look up "witches hour + 3am". I just found it curious that 0:00-1:00 have been the witching hour and allegedly most active time for several centuries and lately (well at least as early as 1980 apparently :P) people are starting to think it's 3am? But the term "devil's hour" is from "the exorcism of Emily Rose" or are there any earlier uses of it?

"The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying something which is not everything it should be." ~ Edgar Allan Poe
"The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones." ~ William Shakespeare
"I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing." ~ Socrates (as stated by Plato)

www.poetofsheba.com

#20    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,435 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

Lol :)

As far as I recall it might have something to do with the fact that 3am is supposed to be the darkest time of night. I never thought of it really

One does not simply walk into Mordor.

#21    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,346 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 10 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

Daylight savings time?

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#22    Alisdair.MacDonald

Alisdair.MacDonald

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

There are certain tidbits of 'Oral History' that is passed down, this is an example of that. I am fairly certain that Scott was a member of a few secret organizations. That is the most likely source of information like that.

Funny thing is..every now and then someone like G.C.S. spills the beans and puts it in a movie..lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users